Home > Td5 > Td5 regulator change and engine rattle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
AlexLandy10

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zermatt Silver
Td5 regulator change and engine rattle
First of all, hi everone,

About two years ago I swapped the fuel regulator on the engine as it was leaking, i replaced it (non genuine) and it was fine with nice smooth running for about two weeks until the circlip on the back let go and sent diesel all over the bulkhead, i then got a genuine one and fitted that and ever since there has been a noticeable diesel knock from the engine, its starts and runs everytime i get in it, ive looked on numerous occasions and cant find any leaks, i've done the injector seals and changed the harness, I've been in a few td5s now and they sound a lot smoother than mine, its been on different diagnostics and it doesn't show any faults, i haven't been able to do any fuel pressure checks, someone has said that there's 2 different types of gasket on the regulator and if the wrong one is fitted it blocks something up, is there anyone willing to have a look or give me some advise, i love the landy to bits but this has been niggling away at me now for some time. If at first you don't succeed, hit it harder or get someone else to do it.
Post #181644 3rd Nov 2012 1:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wslr

United Kingdom 
If you get the gasket wrong, then the leak will be very noticeable.

Even the genuine part ones don't last long. You can get rebuilt ones using better quality and purpose correct o-rings, but the internals also need a little engineering, and most of the rebuilt ones do not have this modification done.

There is an o-ring located in the head which hold a very fine mesh filter (your gasket and regulator bolt over it). This O ring may be an issue perhaps, but again, I'd have expected it to leak fuel rather than pick up air.

The knock may be air getting in else where such as the filter or filter head etc.
Post #181658 3rd Nov 2012 3:37pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Had mine changed this week. Learned a few things whilst it was in the workshop !

There are two different regulators, one for the older TD5 engine and an updated one for the newer TD5. I presume you got the correct one for your engine number ? The technician did mention the small gauze filter that sits just inside the engine side of the regulator mounting location as sometimes these are damaged or fall out and can be a PITA to replace.

A good tip he showed me was how to bleed / purge the fuel system. Turn ignition on without starting engine, depress and release the accelerator pedal 4 or more times until the MIL light flashes and the fuel system self purges continuously until you start the engine. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #181666 3rd Nov 2012 4:34pm
AlexLandy10

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zermatt Silver
thanks for the replies, i'm pretty sure I fitted the right regulator, I think the later ones had three pipes, i've checked around the filter area and cant see any signs of leaks, i've done the self purge numerous times and it makes no difference, should i risk taking the regulator off and having a look or get someone to do a fuel pressure test first? If at first you don't succeed, hit it harder or get someone else to do it.
Post #181694 3rd Nov 2012 5:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1