↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > iPad v android tablet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ClaireWright

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
iPad v android tablet
Ok I have had an iPad 2 for ages now...and am looking at either going for the newer ipad or a android tablet like google nexus ? I'm not a technophobe so wondering what people's opinions are ??
Post #180962 1st Nov 2012 1:48pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
i've had both and my feeling is that if you already have an iPad then your choice would be another iPad.

There's nothing wrong with android pads at all - great bits of kit, but not the same experience as you'll be used to. I think (having used both) that the ipad system is a bit more seamless, whether you agree with the Apple ethos or not

Mini iPad looks promising for in car nav maybe -

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #180963 1st Nov 2012 1:53pm
ClaireWright

We had discussion with technical person in comet today as we were buying a new laptop.apparently the iPad 4 is there ready to go on shelves tomorrow,but he was saying the iPad mini v nexus 7 there is a clear winner which is the nexus 7... So confusing lol
Post #180966 1st Nov 2012 1:59pm
Delskinz

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
I have an iPad 2 and the new Galaxy Note 10.1 (work supplied I must add) both are great but for different reasons.

If you're a Mac person already then I would go iPad as it wraps you up in all things Apple, making you feel warm that everything works together.

Alternatively if you're not the Android tablets give you great performance and flexibility.

Personally I pick up my Galaxy far more than the iPad, the active infinitely customisable home screen and multi-tasking are a dream. The S-pen which I thought would be a gimmick is a revelation.
Post #180967 1st Nov 2012 2:00pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
ClaireWright wrote:
We had discussion with technical person in comet today as we were buying a new laptop.apparently the iPad 4 is there ready to go on shelves tomorrow,but he was saying the iPad mini v nexus 7 there is a clear winner which is the nexus 7... So confusing lol

"Technical person in Comet" ?

They are pretty much completely clueless when it comes to anything beyond the commission rate that each product pays and how much extra they can get by selling you an "extended warranty".

There's a big difference between the iPad 4 and the iPad mini, the mini isn't simply a small version of the iPad 4. The iPad 4 is faster and has a higher screen resolution than the iPad mini. The screen on the mini is good but is lacking the crispness that you get from the retina display. The mini screen isn't bad by any means, it's slightly better resolution than an iPad 2 so that apps that run on an iPad 2 run at the same effective screen size. As far as the app is concerned it's just running on a normal iPad when it comes to screen display.

Other than the obvious difference (the size) you won't notice any real difference between the iPad 2 and the iPad Mini, although the mini is faster than an iPad 2. An iPad 4 on the other hand, that difference you will definitely notice as it's much faster and has a better, crisper screen. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #181000 1st Nov 2012 3:51pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
davew wrote:

They are pretty much completely clueless when it comes to anything beyond the commission rate that each product pays and how much extra they can get by selling you an "extended warranty".

I was gonna say pretty much the same thing. Anyone would think we'd be married for 25 years or something! Rolling Eyes Wink Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #181007 1st Nov 2012 4:40pm
ClaireWright

Went for the nexus tablet and having fun playing lol
Post #181767 3rd Nov 2012 9:06pm
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Did you get in before Comet went into administration? My local one looked closed when I went past yesterday though I heard they might be having a 'fire sale' before Christmas.
Post #181823 3rd Nov 2012 11:38pm
affiliate13

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Sumatra Black
Nexus 10 looks mighty interesting:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/2/3589170/google-nexus-10-review

Apple do seem to have the better overall experience right now, but i just prefer the Android gear myself.

When the Surface Pro comes out i reckon i will give it serious consideration though, i like the idea of having the whole desktop deal on a reasonably well made tablet. But i think its not due until early next year.
Post #181825 3rd Nov 2012 11:45pm
ClaireWright

Got mine from hmv, we bought a laptop from comet on Thursday and Friday they were shut !
Post #181842 4th Nov 2012 6:45am
daviec1

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
I have to clarify my comments by saying I am completely anti Apple - I have never owned an iPhone, iPad, iPod or any mac product.

So, yes my views will be biased towards non Apple products.

I was looking at a 7" tablet and was about to buy the Nexus, but the single major failing with it is that it has no removeable storage slot - ie SD card etc.

Even my old Sony eBook has 2 slots for removeable media, meaning you can store larger files on the cards, freeing up the internal memory.

So, to use an SD card with the Nexus, you need a short USB connector & a card reader - both easily obtainable, but slightly cumbersome, especially when you may for example put a load of books, apps, mp3 or mp4 on the card.

Is this enough to get me past and move to the iPad - nope, for a single reason - it is tied to a single source for all apps, upgrades etc. Even if you get it hacked, you could have it shut down remotely by Apple during next software upgrade.

So, looks like I'll hold on until a Nexus quality & priced tablet comes along with built in card slots. 2001 TD5 110 DCPU in Bonatti Grey
Post #182294 5th Nov 2012 4:43pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I haven't had any problems getting apps from non apple vendors (on the iphone at least) and as far as I'm aware the same would apply to an iPad.

Apple haven't shut down my iPhone during software upgrades (you have the choice whether to accept an upgrade or not, thus keeping your set up intact )

One good thing about getting apps via the apple app store, is that generally speaking they work nicely and it does cut out some of the copies and 'not so good' apps that I've had the pleasure of downloading from the android store in the past.

No operating system is going to 'suit' everyone, and that's why there are communities for both/all systems where their first port of forum thread when getting a new device is 'I've rooted/jailbroken my new device' or 'i've been messing with the root directory and now I have a blank screen' or 'I've bricked my galaxy tab'.

For the rest of us mere mortals then either OS will do the job, all have their shortcomings in someones eyes but they all work well.

Storage can be a seen as a potential shortcoming in some where there is no expansion capability, but there are plenty of options of free cloud (or hardware) storage solutions and its hard to know how much you'll need anyway. My 32gb ipad2 still has 12gb free after a year of heavy usage, every photo and video I have made over the last year is on there and plenty of music. Its unlikely that you'll be storing your lifes photos only on a portable device anyways so I don't see that as a problem (if so buy a 64gb version and have loads) Thumbs Up

I've had both systems and have to say I prefer the apple products as they seem to work seamlessly together and any shortcomings I can live with, plus they look cool, are well made and not a copy of something else (depending on which court cases you take notice of Whistle )

Hope you are happy with your choice.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #182338 5th Nov 2012 6:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1