↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 300TDi alternator query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kappo

England 
300TDi alternator query
HI Folks - want to get a spare new 65amp alternator for 300TDi Defender (1994 MA940***)
Pretty sure it's AMR4249G (preferably Denso) - BUT I need one that is complete with pulley (61mm) + fan (external) so I can swap at side of road if necessary.
Everyone seems to want to sell me one minus fan except 2nd hand ones on eBAy. Have been told they don't have ext. fans etc. etc. I know I can buy a fan and add it - but then it's possible to get into alignment issues if it's not designed to have one.
Just wanted to confirm I'm looking for correct model & whether anyone knows where they sell 'complete' units.
Hope you can help.
Cheers.
Post #180863 1st Nov 2012 9:29am
kappo

England 
hmmm.... seems question must be either too difficult - or too simple???
Not sure - either way - still don't know answer.
Surely this must be fairly common 'problem'?
Post #181801 3rd Nov 2012 10:22pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Hi Kappo,If you have doubts with your alternator why not buy a new one and swap the pulley/fan from your existing one as it is only held on by a nut on the shaft and cannot be misaligned then fit it to your car at a time of your choice on your drive in daylight instead of at the side of the road one rainy night. You will of course still have your old one as a spare in the unlikely event of wearing out the new one.It is normal to buy new alternators without the fan/pulley fitted. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #181807 3rd Nov 2012 10:55pm
kappo

England 
Lou
Thanks for reply - felt a bit lonely for a while! Big Cry
Yes understood - but I want to carry as a spare and didn't want faff of trying to change pulley & fan at roadside (& think it sometimes can be a right pita to get off anyway??) Alignment concern was fore & aft i.e. putting belt out of alignment by having pulley further or nearer to alternator body.
Paddocks say alternator with fan is not listed for my vehicle (Defender 300TDi), L.R.Series say vehicle doesn't have that alternator, then later - it doesn't have fan - didn't give me confidence that they knew which was correct one.
I have great respect for knowledgeable owners who are interested in their vehicles rather than people who are (sometimes) just there to take your order.
I was hoping this was a straightforward answer that 'everyone' knew & I was just too ignorant to.
Maybe appears not.
I really don't care about fan as long as alternator fits easily, works as it should & I can get on my way quickly if & when.
I have to buy mailorder because of my location so need to be a bit more careful to make sure I order the right one.
The one I have has a fan - so I thought it best to try & get an exact replacement. If anybody has the correct part numbers I would be happy to order alternator, fan, 61mm pulley - and be most grateful!
Post #181887 4th Nov 2012 10:15am
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Kappo. I bought my alternator from Keith Gott Land Rovers by mail order,spoke to the guys there who knew exactly what i needed.It did come without the fan/pulley which i swapped over from the dead one. I think the people who are telling you it does,nt have a fan are just meaning you don,t get one with it rather than it is a different alternator that is fanless.
Perhaps someone on here has a dead alternator they can take the fan off and send to you !
I would still fit the new part at a time of my choosing as i did have some problems with the lower mounting bolt (10mm) i think being very tight and rounding off requiring some ingenuity to get undone as access to it is not great especially if the viscous fan is not removed.
As far as pulley alignment is concerned you really can,t get it wrong just slide the fan/pulley on to the alternator shaft and do up the large nut on the front end.
Keep us posted. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #181909 4th Nov 2012 11:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1