↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Skinny tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Norm4n

United Kingdom 
Skinny tyres
Why is it that everyone goes for wide tyres?

The British army do their fair share of off road driving, and they use skinny tyres?
Post #179879 28th Oct 2012 9:11pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Because most people buy off-road tyres to make their Land Rover look "extreme"!

I'm a fan of the skinny tyre, better fuel economy and a more standard look. Big up the 7.60R16 Smile
Post #179881 28th Oct 2012 9:14pm
Norm4n

United Kingdom 
What about better grip in mud?
Post #179882 28th Oct 2012 9:16pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Some say wider tyres give a greater area of traction and therefore are better. Others say skinny tyres dig down to harder ground and give traction that way, and therefore are better.

Swings and roundabouts really. Depends what sort of conditions you're going to be seeing. Winch challenges, wide tyres are probably your best bet. Road use or light off-roading (ie. not in deep mud/bog) then I'd stick to the skinnys.
Post #179885 28th Oct 2012 9:19pm
Dobby

Hmm.. I read it was the other way round somewhere. Wider tyres spread the load over a greater area, so reduce downward pressure on the 'earth' - as a result wide fat tyres are less effective off road. Skinnier tyres apply the vehicles weight to a smaller footprint in terms of downward force, which there for improves grip/traction.

There's an equation for it some where too.
Post #179888 28th Oct 2012 9:24pm
Lou Sparts

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Rally cars always use skinny tyres on snow and ice,i guess they know what they,re doing. 2005 Td5 90 XS

Steve
Post #179891 28th Oct 2012 9:27pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Dobby wrote:
Hmm.. I read it was the other way round somewhere. Wider tyres spread the load over a greater area, so reduce downward pressure on the 'earth' - as a result wide fat tyres are less effective off road. Skinnier tyres apply the vehicles weight to a smaller footprint in terms of downward force, which there for improves grip/traction.

There's an equation for it some where too.

That's certainly true for ground pressure. But that's a separate issue to traction, though it can be aided or hindered by it! Whether you want high or low ground pressure depends on the ground conditions. In very soft ground like deep mud or a bog you want as low ground pressure as possible, so wide tyres are needed otherwise you'll sink in very easily! On harder ground this is less of an issue so you can get away with a thinner tyre.

I think tread pattern will make more difference than tyre width when it comes down to it though.
Post #179892 28th Oct 2012 9:28pm
Norm4n

United Kingdom 
Can someone do a tyre test for me Laughing

I'm after the best tyres for wet boggy grass fields!
Post #179893 28th Oct 2012 9:32pm
Lorryman100

The wider tyre is best for me in soft sand when recovering the boat. 305's give a wider footprint spreading the Pumas weight meaning it doesn't sink as deep into the soft wet sand that you encounter in the surf. They are also very good in heather covered soft peaty conditions as well, though I do walk the route I'll be driving first. The 235's have gave me a few frights in the beginning but I know now what works best for me and that's, the wider the better. It makes sense to me, that the more rubber you have in contact with the road, the better the grip available depending on traction conditions. Then again what makes me feel safer and comfortable may seem ridiculous to others, but hey ho I'm happy with wide tyres, even my runabouts now are 265's. Thumbs Up

EDIT: The 305's are Mickey Thompson ATZ's (All Terrain) and the runabouts are 265 Mickey Thompson MTZ's ( Mud Terrains) and are by far the best tyres I have had on the Puma to date including the BFG's, again only my opinion. Whistle
Post #179904 28th Oct 2012 10:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dobby

Post #179905 28th Oct 2012 10:09pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Norm4n wrote:
Can someone do a tyre test for me Laughing

I'm after the best tyres for wet boggy grass fields!

In my experience wet muddy fields are one of the slipperiest surfaces known to man! Razz

In the situations I've come across the only way to get anywhere when traction is that low is knobbly tyres which will bite in for some grip. Unfortunately they will also make a right mess of the field.

Traction control is useful in this sort of situation too, or diff locks, as this will allow you to make use of any available traction that you do find.
Post #179906 28th Oct 2012 10:10pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
the 235 contis are spot on
Post #179911 28th Oct 2012 10:19pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Around Wiltshire here, with mainly chalk and clay ground, 7.50 xzl's work very well.
Post #179920 28th Oct 2012 10:29pm
Lewis07

England 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Oslo Blue
All I would say is that the standard tyres that came with my 2012 110XS did a great job driving through very heavy rain and standing water on the motorway for hour upon hour the other night. Very impressed. Thumbs Up
The skinny tyres on my older ex-army 110 on the other hand don't like the wet at all.
Post #179925 28th Oct 2012 10:32pm
walfy

Going back to the OP post about the Army doing a lot of offroad driving. I'd beg to differ. With the LR fleet they do very little real offroad driving. On military trg areas drivers are encouraged to use tracks where possible and avoid real offroad situations. I know on Salisbury Plain, in the 4 yrs I worked there I did a lot more offroading in my own 90 than I ever did in a company car.
When I was in BATUS a few years ago you had to stick to the tracks or you got properly stuck. Route selection is a top quality you had to have.

If you have skinny tyres, it is a lot easier on the drivetrain. 1/2 shafts last a lot longer. In 24 yrs of service in the Army I can count on 1 hand the amount of 1/2 shafts that I've seen broken. Plus the size the MOD uses is a common size and readily available worldwide. So there are a few reasons as to why the MOD uses skinny tyres these are but a few of them. 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #179928 28th Oct 2012 10:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>