↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Suggestions required: Laning and wild camping in UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Suggestions required: Laning and wild camping in UK
My brother and I both have busy lives – full on jobs and young families. For his Birthday this year, he's asked me whether we can take the Landy and head off for a weekend to do man-stuff outdoors (too much British Bake off and Strictly come dancing in our households).

Ideally, I thought I'd seize the opportunity to take him off for some laning and general exploring. We could then either bivi for the night next to the Landy or, better still, hike off into a nearby wood and get a fire going and a nice basic shelter.

3 things cross my mind:
    We're going to head off at the start of December so I don't want to make the lanes too fearsome.
    Ideally I would have a destination woodland in mind for the evening with land owner's permission.
    We're travelling out from the East Midlands and only have a weekend so I think Wales, Norfolk or Peaks is about as far as we'd want to go (Scotland is lovely but we'd spend all our time getting there).

We could just busk it and set up camp if we see somewhere we like, once the coast is clear but I'd like to get a fire going and make a bit more of an outdoor weekend of it and would rather do it above board with agreement from the land owner.

Do any of you have any suggestions of where we might want to look or, more importantly, where/who we might approach for somewhere to stop. I don't mind making a contribution to the land owner for use of their wood for a night – it's my Brother's birthday after all.

If anyone has contacts with farmers or estate owners that might be open to a call, please pm me and let me know and I'll give them a ring and ask.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts folks. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #179165 26th Oct 2012 1:06pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
PM sent with a suggestion!
Post #179168 26th Oct 2012 1:27pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Green laning
Hi We use green lanes in Thetford forest which are pretty easy but great to drive. LRO did an aricle on lanes around North West Norfolk which I have followed and camped at Breck Farm nr Holt, they allow open fire!!.

Regards

Mark
Post #179172 26th Oct 2012 1:37pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Hmmm - wild camping in England & Wales is a bit of an issue I believe, There's no Access Code as there is in Scotland...

Quote:
The Land Reform Act in Scotland allows for wild camping, but the land issues and the legislation in England are somewhat different. The introduction of wild camping in England would be a controversial issue, which would require both significant consultation and legislative change.

On open access land wild camping is prohibited under Schedule 2 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, which lists all restricted activities. Therefore, new Regulations would be required to exclude wild camping as a restricted activity. Any change to the current rules on wild camping in National Parks and Ministry of Defence land would require new primary legislation.

I can give you a few great sites in Scotland:

1. Glen Clunie, 3 miles South of Braemar off the A93 (where the minor road leaves the A93) - follow the minor road for 1km and camp next to the river
2. Rannoch Moor / Glen Etive. Anywhere near Kings House Pub, or for a quieter camp down the Glen Etive road.
3. Glen Turret, from Crieff, head NW, towards Turret Reservoir. There's a track at the end of the tarmac road, and flat wild camping to the side of the dam wall.
4. Glen Garry, under the dam wall at the E end of Loch Cluanie
and loads more Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #179174 26th Oct 2012 1:45pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I believe the OP has the intention of getting landowner's permission, in which case all is fine and dandy. Just don't set fire to his/her woodland with your campfire!
Post #179212 26th Oct 2012 5:42pm
zulu

England 
I did i nice little walk from Brecon recently abd passed a great spot next to the river which i noticed had good vehicle access etc. You could look around there buddy.
Post #181937 4th Nov 2012 12:30pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Zulu - as already pointed out in this thread, you are not permitted to wild camp in England or Wales, unless you have prior permission from the land owner. You can't just see a nice spot and camp on it.

In Scotland wild camping is more freely permitted, but even then you can only drive on legal rights of way to get to a camping spot - if it requires driving up a private road or on an open field or moor then you can't do it (again, unless land owners permission is given) you'd have to leave the car on a public road or parking spot and carry your gear to where you want to camp..... Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #181963 4th Nov 2012 2:15pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
You can legally wild camp in Dartmoor - the only place in England as far as I'm aware - link will take you there

I live on Dartmoor and would be happy to give you guidance - PM me

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/visiting/vi...amping-map

Theres a good mix of open moor and woodland with a bit more shelter - starting open fires may be a bit more of an issue - the regulations are on the site too
Post #182390 5th Nov 2012 8:53pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
just thinking on it a bit more......you could camp on a campsite where you are away from it all - ie nestled in a wood or in a deep valley. Some of the New Forest campsites are woody - albeit very large - but may be reasonably quiet in December. Depends how wild you want to be?
Post #182396 5th Nov 2012 9:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1