↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Greenlaning in Ingleton, North Yorkshire?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Greenlaning in Ingleton, North Yorkshire?
Hi all,

We'll be up around Ingleton, North Yorkshire, for about a week, curious to find out if anyone could recommend some easy greenlaning to a laning newbie?

Never been to that part of the world before, so looking forward to it. It would be even more interesting if I could find a scenic and straightforward lane. Very Happy
Post #176496 17th Oct 2012 12:46pm
shazzy90

rudland rigg a nice 7 mile lane
put this in google maps for the start (or end...) : 54.325734,-0.987911 (green arrow)
Post #176592 17th Oct 2012 7:01pm
eutek

shazzy90 wrote:
rudland rigg a nice 7 mile lane
put this in google maps for the start (or end...) : 54.325734,-0.987911 (green arrow)

Thanks for that, looks super - exactly what I was thinking of... but we'll be over in the Dales though - that appears to be in the Moors? Sad
Post #176629 17th Oct 2012 8:30pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Rudland Rigg is in the North York Moors park. It is not a quick over the hill trip to Helmsley from Ingleton.

The situation regarding green lanes can change quickly with TRO's etc.

Simplest thing is to have a read HERE. The YDNP should have the latest legal situation. Remember Motor vehicles are not allowed on footpaths/bridleways but are allowed on BOATS.

So have a good read on YDNP site and carefully mark up your maps.

Happy driving

Brendan
Post #176645 17th Oct 2012 9:10pm
eutek

leeds wrote:
Rudland Rigg is in the North York Moors park. It is not a quick over the hill trip to Helmsley from Ingleton.

The situation regarding green lanes can change quickly with TRO's etc.

Simplest thing is to have a read HERE. The YDNP should have the latest legal situation. Remember Motor vehicles are not allowed on footpaths/bridleways but are allowed on BOATS.

So have a good read on YDNP site and carefully mark up your maps.

Happy driving

Brendan

Thanks Brendan for that info as well, lots to read - lots to learn! Very Happy
Post #176695 17th Oct 2012 10:02pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
OK at the risk of teaching Grandma etc.

Please remember that green lanes/BOATS have vehicular rights of way. They are not Pay and Play sites or winch challenge sites. Keep to the tracks, don't be tempted off the track. The farmers land either side of the track is not your playground but his workshop/working environment. If in doubt about line of route, condition of route, your capability etc back off and leave it for another day.

Also keep to GLASS code of conduct GLASS

Drive safe, enjoy yourself and respect other users.

If am teaching Grandma..... well will not really apologise as gentle reminders sometimes are useful Razz

Brendan
Post #176702 17th Oct 2012 10:45pm
eutek

leeds wrote:
OK at the risk of teaching Grandma etc.

Please remember that green lanes/BOATS have vehicular rights of way. They are not Pay and Play sites or winch challenge sites. Keep to the tracks, don't be tempted off the track. The farmers land either side of the track is not your playground but his workshop/working environment. If in doubt about line of route, condition of route, your capability etc back off and leave it for another day.

Also keep to GLASS code of conduct GLASS

Drive safe, enjoy yourself and respect other users.

If am teaching Grandma..... well will not really apologise as gentle reminders sometimes are useful Razz

Brendan

No worries, I'm a newbie to greenlaning, appreciate the pointers.

I'm more interested in the scenery rather than getting covered in mud. Razz
Post #176719 18th Oct 2012 7:17am
megatoad

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
There are some great lanes up there, I cut my offroading teeth on many, however I strongly advise you to try contact the ROW officers in the local clubs as they can tell you of the severity of the lanes and whether they are still open or not, whether you need more than one LR and whether there are contentious Land Owners !

You can choose from

Yorkshire Land Rover Owners Club (Jon Ackroyd) http://www.ylroc.co.uk/

Penine LRC - http://www.penninelandrover.co.uk/

NERO LRC - http://www.nero.org.uk/

Yorkshire Offroad Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/

to name but a few.

Pamw may be able to give you a contact in the latter

I thoroughly recommend walking up the valley to Thornton Force if you enjoy that kind of thing, and you must visit the Wensleydale Cheesery in Hawes, (mmmmmm cheeeeese Gromit !!)

(Edit) - Hmm looking at the NY moors site I see that the is begger all left open to drive, good job I did them all 20 years ago.
Post #176755 18th Oct 2012 9:15am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Recommendations for Ingleton area?

Eat at the Old Hill Inn, Chapel LE Dale Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #176767 18th Oct 2012 9:39am
megatoad

And don't forget to visit Masham with both the Theakstons and Black Sheep Breweries!

A nice run would be first North to Hawes, Aysgarth, Leyburn, Middleham, Coverham, West Scrafton, Gammersgill, Horsehouse, then down the splendid Cam Gill Road to Kettlewell, down to Grassington, Cracoe (bought my first full roofrack off a derelict S111 I saw in a field there), Gargrave then back along the
A65 to Ingleton

Sadly Mastiles Lane is no longer open as that would have taken you from Kilnsey Crag to Malham Tarn sadly one of the first highly contentious lanes to be closed! Ahh the memories, pub crawling at midnight over Mastiles in the 109 for a lock-in at teh Lister Arms, Oh that heavenly Old Peculiar & Pendle Witches Brew!, then back to the LGI A&E for my friends leg which turned out to be double compound spiral fractures, but he was pickled so he didnt care. (My brother drew the short straw and was driving). He who dies with the most toys wins Smile

Defender 90 & 110, S1 80", Disco 1, S111 88
LRSOC & CVLRC
Post #176772 18th Oct 2012 10:02am
leeds

United Kingdom 
megatoad wrote:

.....then back to the LGI A&E for my friends leg which turned out to be double compound spiral fractures, .....

In my case it was a compression fracture of L2!

Landlord at the Crown in Horton was INSTRUCTED by the local police inspector after a cave rescue! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Being called out from the Craven Heifer by the police for a cave rescue. One of the bobbies were not happy at us driving to Ribblehead, however in our defence we had no intention of driving until the police phoned us up and wanted us to turn out! Hic!

Brendan
Post #176779 18th Oct 2012 11:02am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
So you were a caver too, Brendan?

Mainly South Wales, myself, but with frequent excursions to Mendip and less frequent to Yrokshire. I have fond memories of places like Bull Pot Farm, and doing daft stuiff like coming out of KMC at 2 in the morning on new year's day and changning in a blizzard at the side of the road.

Your mention of the Silly Moo brings back memories too (including abseiling off Ingleton viaduct while pickled because it was the quickest way back to Mrs Morfitt's caravan park)!

We were idiots once, and young!
Post #176781 18th Oct 2012 11:23am
leeds

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
So you were a caver too, Brendan?

We were idiots once, and young!

Yes and what do you mean an idiot once???

Not as young but am still capable of doing silly things Whistle Whistle Whistle

Was a member of ULSA who surveyed KMC, valley entrance was found by A & D B. Survey used to be dyelined one, however I managed to get it lithoprinted at first by the University of Leeds printing service.

One of our resting places were at the Happy Wanders at the Braida Garth opposite KMC or barn at back of Hill Inn or the Wheatsheaf Whistle Then breakfast with chips at the Fountains cafe or made by Alice at Bernies

A good walk is to walk along Gragareth to north of Kingsdale, cross at head of valley and walk along the Whernside Ridge back to Ingleton. Unlike many walks you will not come across many other people except right at top of Whernside.

Brendan
Post #176784 18th Oct 2012 11:57am
megatoad

Wotcha Brendan,

Ahh Craven Heiffer, Hill Inn

We once camped out for New Years Eve in tthe Hill Inn carpark as we spent the weekend laning

Went icebreaking in Semmerwater with the Landies.

It was a clear freezing night, the water for the dogs froze in 5 minutes flat, the hoar chrystals were 1" long, freezing but beautiful, all the peatbogs had been freezing for 2 weeks so were easy to drive over, though some of the lanes were hard to climb as there were sheet ice rivers down them. Bloody cavers kept us awake through the night luaghing ang giggling in their tents.

We got our own back at 7am firing up a 3.3l Perkins, V8 and a 2l Rolling with laughter

That said in the 80's my other other brother was in the NCC and most of his colleagues were the Cave Rescue team, many then went into Cave Diving and some are still DOWN there.

Love to Absail off the viaduct though.

Here are a few piccies, every where I went with the diesel though the sheep would all appear hoping for a bale of hey.

Click image to enlarge
 He who dies with the most toys wins Smile

Defender 90 & 110, S1 80", Disco 1, S111 88
LRSOC & CVLRC
Post #176837 18th Oct 2012 3:47pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Blimey at the risk of going completely OT.

Yes I knew some of the cave divers, the likes of Geoff Yeadon, Oliver Bear Statham, Dave 'Pooh' Yeandle etc.

Recently supplied some gear to a good fried of Sid Perou the caving film cameraman.

It can be a small world.

Can remember coming out of Lost Johns system and ropes were frozen solid by the time we had walked 100 metres back to the cars!

Now should we carry on the caving talk or go back to green laning Laughing

Brendan
Post #176850 18th Oct 2012 5:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1