↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > TD5 ‘Dwayne’
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
othorton

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
TD5 ‘Dwayne’
Well ... I finally did it. I remember sitting on my dads knee as a toddler in the series 3 of the local farmer, and since then I knew I wanted a Landrover. It’s taken 25 years, a bittersweet foray into cheap Range Rover L322 ownership, a good couple of years saving but I finally got it.

Meet ‘Dwayne’. She’s a 2005 TD5 90 station wagon, named so because she’s big, black, built like a wrestler and about as aerodynamic as the Rock. Coming from a rather sensible 118d BMW, she’s slow, noisy, thirsty and uncomfortable but the most exciting and fulfilling car I’ve ever had the pleasure of driving, let alone owning.

In terms of upgrades I’ve done: so far just the one. Fitted an optimil quick release boss and lock. The lock is extraordinarily sturdy and I’ve had a few funny looks walking around with my steering wheel! I’m a bit paranoid what with all the posts on here about defenders getting lifted, hence fitting some decent security features.

I’ve been a long time lurker on this forum and have followed a number of different build threads. Notably Adam17 and Grafty. I’m looking forward to drawing on the vast knowledge contained in this forums as I am what’s known as a rank amateur!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #785684 8th Aug 2019 12:06pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
looks very nice.........
Post #785692 8th Aug 2019 12:47pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
Very smart indeed!
Post #785705 8th Aug 2019 2:05pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
just a thought but your curtains don't match your carpet................. Laughing
Post #785708 8th Aug 2019 2:32pm
othorton

Haha perhaps I’ll spray my ardcase bronze Laughing
Post #785714 8th Aug 2019 3:02pm
Tim in Scotland

Re: TD5 ‘Dwayne’
othorton wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Snap, except I took the photo using an iPhone hence the car being on its side!

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #785740 8th Aug 2019 5:04pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Dwayne Laughing I'd have gone for Latifah Very Happy

Welcome to the madhouse.
Post #785752 8th Aug 2019 6:01pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
looks a good one, I have toying with the idea of the sliver rings around the clocks Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #785756 8th Aug 2019 6:47pm
L110CDL

England 
Great you have joined in at last and welcome Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #786001 9th Aug 2019 9:10pm
othorton

Apologies, it's been a bit of a delay since I've made any updates. In truth this is because I've been spending time driving her around and actually figuring out what it is that I want to add. In addition, it appears that the previous owner(s) have made a number of tasteful modifications which I would have wanted to make.

Namely:
Steering Guard
Fuel Tank Guard
Diff Guards
EGR Blank
Mud Seat Rails
DRLs in the front bumper

Over the past 1000 miles I have highlighted a number of upgrades that would improve the day to day usability of the defender. Most of these are reasonably expensive/time consuming modifications which will be conducted over the course of the next year, when funds and time allow.

New Mods:
Updated Radio and Subwoofer
New Seats
Snow Cowl
LOF clutch modification spring
LED Headlights
Upgraded Rear Door hinges/Swing away carrier
Matching Twisted Rear alloy
Rear folding step

Down the road Mods:
Roof Rack/Bars
Roof Top Tent

The reasoning for the above mods are because the majority of my journeys are from central London to either the cottage in Norfolk or to visit family in Leicestershire. Given the majority of the miles are on the motorway, the sound system is just not up to scratch. The existing owners did fit uprated speakers which deliver great mids and highs but they really miss the punch of a subwoofer. In fairness to landrover, the original seats are not as uncomfortable as I had been led to believe reading other posts, but they do not deliver enough lateral or lumbar support for me on my journeys. The clutch pedal isn't overly heavy, but after up to an hour of stop start traffic leaving London my knee feels like it's about out of cartilage. Finally, the lighting - whilst the headlights are not terrible, they could be brighter, and if truth be told, the LED lights with the Halos look really decent in my opinion. The other mods are more for my OCD in 'completing the set' in the case of the lights and the wheels, and the wheel carrier/hinges will provide more support for a heavier wheel.

Having chosen to spend the second of my 2-week holiday at my parents', I wanted to get at least one of the above mods done before bulling the defender up for the peterborough show I decided to give the LOF clutch spring install a go. No word of a lie, it was a complete Censored to fit, and I spent the best part of 4 hours fiddling around in a cramped footwell and swearing profusely to absolutely no avail. We tried the vice and cable tie method (which didn't work). We tried the needle nose pliers method (which didn't work, and caused one very bloody knuckle). We were about to throw in the towel and give up after wasting so much time on what LOF described as a '10-15 minute job', when I decided to go for the brute force approach. I used a pair of heavy duty mole grips and a big F-Off screwdriver and literally bent it to my will. All in all it took about 45 minutes of manipulation and a very heavilly scarred couple of washers but the spring is in. The difference is notable, though the behaviour of the bite point is now slightly altered. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of this install as I was so thoroughly irked in the attempted install that my phone had a better chance of being thrown into the neighbours' pond in a bout of anger than being used to take any kind of informative photo. If I could offer some advice, make sure you remove any mats in the footwell so the clutch can be depressed to the floor. In addition, mole grips are better than pliers as they give you the ability to clamp the spring and then you can use your strength for bending the spring rather than clamping it.

Another small job I wanted to do when I was at my parents' with access to some space was to repurpose an old British Army ammo box into a camping kit for myself and my girlfriend. I got the box off ebay for £12 and treated it to a de-rusting via brillo pads and coca-cola. After allowing it to dry I gave it a blast with some flat black bbq paint from wilko, and finished off the handles with some para chord. Not pictured below, but if you wrap with consecutive half-hitches you get an attractive spiral pattern.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by othorton on 16th Sep 2019 4:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #793324 16th Sep 2019 2:17pm
othorton

As a new Landrover Owner, it is part and parcel to visit at least one Landrover Show, or so I've been told. Given the LRO Peterborough show coincided with the final weekend of my holiday, my Dad and I thought it would be rude not to pay a visit, especially since my parents' live in Eastern Leicestershire. As an added bonus, both my girlfriend and mum wanted to go to Ikea, so it was a result when they made the decision to spend the day there whilst Dad and I went to LRO. (I hate Ikea, for the record).

Having never been offroad, Dad and I also thought it would be fun to put the Defender through its paces at the Offroading course in Tixover.

Not really sure what to expect, we spent a few hours giving the landy a wash and wax treatment in order get it looking concourse ready. I must say that Autoglym aqua wax really does give a great finish. Another quick rub down on Saturday morning to remove the dew and I thought she looked a million dollars.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

We drove to the show and it was a veritable feast of all things land-rover. We got there at 10am Saturday and the 'Landrover-Only' parking was already full! That said, there were hundreds of defenders there - I probably saw a number of forum members' vehicles but wouldn't have known. I did see the snake-skin wrap that had been 'spotted' in the past. I had a little proud defender moment as I saw some people checking mine out as I was walking to the show entrance.

The show itself was extreme - like an Aladdin's cave of all things defender. I bought a new fold-down rear step for £10, and an enamel land-rover badge for the army camping box I up-cycled in my last post. I also had an opportunity to have a look around exmoor trim's stall, and have decided upon some of their elite sports seats for a future upgrade. They are extremely expensive, but also very comfortable with a significant amount of both lumbar and lateral support. At £1300 it will be a wish-list item for the time being however. There were a lot of other bits and pieces that I liked the look of, and I bit the bullet and have bought a 54" light bar. I have always thought they looked good across the top of the windscreen and am excited to put up another post later this year with the fitting. Dad and I mocked it up and the bracket has just enough clearance to mount the bar without fouling the raised air-intake.

After perusing the show for a few hours and spending much too much time fan-boying over a variety of race trucks, incredible roof top tents and a REME 6wheeled truck which was twisting to some insane angles, we decided to see what the offroading experience was all about. The offroad course was about 20 mins from the show and along the route we saw a number of VERY muddy defenders (and a very nice looking Vogue RR) which got me pretty excited for what was to come.

The course was in an old quarry in Tixover (Near Ketton Cement) - IIRC Razz, a forum member calls it 'The Pit'. The marshals had set up a course which contained a variety of obstacles, from axle twisters to some muddy wading (all very tame to the majority of you). It was amazing to finally get my defender dirty, and to have my first taste of offroading. I was amazed by how incredibly competent the defender was at all the obstacles. 2nd gear, low range and it just ate up everything thrown at it. Dad should have put his brown trousers on at the start of the day, he was not a very happy passenger!! I was certainly a very happy driver and have become hooked on the offroad bug!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #793343 16th Sep 2019 4:07pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
That's how a defender should look Very Happy
Don't forget the basics with defenders:
-regular servicing (I personally only use genuine filters etc)
-rust prevention
-security (seems you have got this sorted)
all the best
Tommo
Post #793613 17th Sep 2019 2:59pm
othorton

So I finally got round to fitting the LED Light Bar I'd bought at the Peterborough Landrover show. I've always liked the look of the low profile bars, and bought a 54" Osram bar from GRE 4x4.

The fitting of the bar itself was effortless. It required drilling of 2 holes into each gutter (which I wasn't a massive fan of to be honest, but figure if I ever take it off then I have a couple more drainage holes!), and then the billet aluminium brackets are bolted down into place.

I had some help from my dad with the install (think you'd really struggle to do it by yourself). We mocked up the bar on it's brackets, centred it as close the the windscreen as possible without it touching/allowing adjustment to the height.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

One thing to note, it fits extremely tight to the snorkel. I had to remove the top for the install and it was only by sheer luck that the grooves in the snorkel top allowed it to fit as nicely as it did. In total the top of the snorkel now sits about 8mm above where it used to.

Click image to enlarge

I decided to wire it up for now with its own separate switch which was already on the loom. Eventually I (read a car sparkie) will have it wired up to the main beam with an OEM switch plumbed into the dash but not only is it outside my expertise but having waited for 3 weeks with the defender in the garage with electrical issues I'd rather have it working for now and perfect in the future.

Click image to enlarge

That said, I spoke too soon. Dad and I wanted to hide the wiring behind the lower dash on the drivers side. Now if someone can give me a heads up on how to remove the lower speaker box dashboard without taking out the entire dash I will be forever grateful. We spent most of the afternoon trying to remove the lower dash in one piece before reading that it's bolted to the bulkhead, and those bolts are only accessible after removing the upper dash. So as it stands, the light bar is on, the wire is in the cab, but it's not wired up to the battery. A challenge for next weekend.

It does work though, it's like a collapsed sun even in daylight.

Click image to enlarge
Post #798893 21st Oct 2019 9:48am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Great looking 90! Thumbs Up Sorry can't help with your question but I'm sure someone will be along shortly. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #798902 21st Oct 2019 11:42am
othorton

Thanks James Very Happy ! Been a labour of love so far but couldn't be happier.
Post #798919 21st Oct 2019 1:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>