↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Mind Mangle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Mind Mangle
Bumped into an old work buddy a couple of days ago. Got talking and ended up discussing space and all things universe related.

He came up with an interesting theory...

If, as some folk say, the universe is infinite, and everything is made of atoms, surely, somewhere along the way somewhere there will be another planet earth exactly the same as this one.

For example, if you have four coloured balls, a red one, yellow, blue and green one, you can only put them in so many different orders before you have to repeat an order - so there's 16 combinations you can put them in, the 17th will be a combination you've already made.

So, on a much much much bigger scale, take all the atoms in the universe, eventually there will be so many different combinations, there will be one already in existence, which, might just possibly be exactly the same as our existence right now.

It took me a while to get my head around it, but I guess it's quite possible, IF the universe was infinite...
Post #173468 5th Oct 2012 10:05pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
But we know it isn't infiinite since we have established it is still expanding and even how fast it is expanding.

What I have never been able to understand is, if it is expanding, what is it expanding into? What contains the space that it is moving into?

Does my head in, physics at this level!
Post #173492 5th Oct 2012 11:11pm
Odin

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
There are boundary conditions in his example which enable the problem to be solved. These are the assumptions that enable physicists etc to model reality using mathematics. Overly simplistic models are quickly solved but are sometimes not realistic and result in over-engineering due to a lack of knowledge or wisdom. This results in scenarios being classed as impossible (ie the bee is too heavy to fly using basic aerodynamic analysis or you can never travel into space...).

To get back to your man's theory, he's only considering 4 balls relative to one another in one axis (how many options are there?) but there's no consideration of distance from one another, and where are they in 3d space over time and gravitational effects between balls resulting in further movement over time etc.... could 3 balls be balanced on top of one - theoretically it's possible but it's assumed to be disallowed.

Also remember that distance is an analogue value, not digital, so it can be quoted down to 1 / infinity (so I can always add another order of magnitude to your distance by adding another digit to your number). Reality is more complex than 4 balls.

So, the comment is correct given the boundary conditions or controls but can't be applied outside of a question for the pub.

Good to think this early on a weekend!
Post #173522 6th Oct 2012 8:26am
warren

I think you've just blown my mind. But it makes sense, hope I bump into him again next week and I'll put it to him!

On a similar subject, anyone else enjoy star gazing? I find it strangely relaxing, I have no idea what the constellations are called, and due to artificial light spoiling things it's not as good staring at the sky round town. On the way back from Whitby back in the summer we stopped off at the Hole of Horcum - no artificial light for miles around - and just stared at the sky. Like a magic eye, the more you look the more you see (except it's nothing like a magic eye as I can stare at them for ages and not see anything). But it's pretty amazing to think that all those stars are billions and billions of miles away, and could have their own planets orbiting them...

Also amazing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0
Post #173613 6th Oct 2012 7:04pm
AndyS

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Sumatra Black
We went to an observatory in NZ and the air was so clean you could see satellites passing over head. It gave an amazing view of the Milky Way. I did read that there's a spot in Scotland that has a very dark sky, I'd love to pop up to see it (as it'd be a bloody site easier than going to NZ).
Post #173624 6th Oct 2012 7:42pm
Odin

Galloway Forrest.
Post #173634 6th Oct 2012 8:20pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Something else to consider, as the universe is expanding like we are told it is then given that this rate of expansion is linear, we should be getting further away from the Sun but we don't because everything is expanding at the same rate so relatively we stay in position. Therefore I must be empirically bigger now than I ever have been but I cannot measure the change as everything around me use also bigger than it ever has been. So if I extend that thought I will continue to get bigger over time, so I can eat as much McDonald's as I want guilt free as the universe is making me fat all by its self! I love science, me. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #173687 7th Oct 2012 6:55am
Odin

Expanding linearly in one direction, or along one axis, or along 3, or spherically? Back to balls again. Either way that's even more big Macs!
Post #173689 7th Oct 2012 7:50am
warren

Odin wrote:
Galloway Forrest.

Was looking up here today... Trying to see if I can squeeze one last adventure in Big Black before it (if it ever!!) sells. Looks pretty awesome!
Post #174227 8th Oct 2012 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1