↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Running 250Km for charity, anyone fancy sponsoring me?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Running 250Km for charity, anyone fancy sponsoring me?
As the title says,

Myself and 3 others from my unit here in Germany will be running a 'Ultra trail'. It is a 250 Km run across all sorts of terrain in hot temperatures all in aid of our charity 'Help for Heros'. For more information please see the link bellow.

http://www.justgiving.com/35engr_lad

All donations will be greatly appreciated Very Happy

Glyn
Post #12258 23rd Jun 2009 4:02pm
discocuzzy

England 
Great charity glynne, ill make a donation when i get home Thumbs Up

Steve You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #12262 23rd Jun 2009 5:27pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
It is all done Very Happy - I can look back an laugh now.

Started with a 24hr (3 drivers taking shifts) drive down to South Spain- on arrival we had sunshine (34 degC) and the reality of what we were doing started to sink in. After check-in and a couple of beers we got all out kit packed ready for the run.

Day 1- started with a 6Km hill which took us up 1500m in height and all our legs were getting tired but we carried on to finish day 1 which took us up to 56Km,

Day 2- started with a 10km 'rolling' hills followed by the Devils gorge which again was about 6Km long but took us uk 2000m. By this point 5 out of the origional 55 people had dropped out either through heat injuries or muscle pain. By the end of the day we had all covered 103 Km.

Day 3- said to be the hardest day (as I found out) as the 2 days before this one was no difference it started with a 10Km non-stop hill which went on forever. Pain was setting in nd pain killers were being eaten like sweets by some of the top competing competitors. The lst checkpoint on this day I had to retire from the race due to my legs and feet no longer working. I had completed 158Km by this point and the rest ofthe team completed the day at 161Km.

Day 4- This was the flattest day of them all but still hard at this stage- I was looking after the guys admin as they set off. The Doc advised I sat the day out as my big toe on my left foot had doubled in size and needed holes making in the nail to release fluid. The guys trecked on walking most of it but completing the day totaling 211Km

Day 5- I was back in the race Very Happy. Ths day was a 'road' stage where underfoot it was good but still the hills hurt (both up and down). We completed this day together and after completing the arduous run came into the town and across the line together. I had completed 195Km and the rest of the team 250km.

Temperaturse were always in the high 30s and sometimes topping 40 degC with minimal shelter on route. 2 of us have vowed to go back at the next oportunity as the whole experience was amazing (when not looking at our painful feet!!

Thankyou all who have donated, and if you haven't you still have a week before I send the money to charity
Glyn

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #13325 23rd Jul 2009 8:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1