↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Green lane issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Green lane issues
Been spending my evening having a look through my local green lane video's on youtube and found this:
&feature=related
In another part of the country admittedly trail bike riders but ultimately doing just the same as some of us LEGALLY green laning on the Byway system ect. So just wondering if anyone has ever had any issues similar to this chap when using your Defender? Personally I can't think of any problems such as this myself but I have certainly had some dirty looks from some walkers. Why is it when you do the right thing even then it's not good enough for some. Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #172557 1st Oct 2012 8:52pm
Projectblue

England 
It depends on the area, it's often worse where councils have been poor at sorting their RoW out (e.g. Somerset) or where there's heavy concentration of all users (e.g. National Parks).

Back 'oop North' I had regular confrontations with non vehicle users both walkers and cyclists. Generally non of them knew the status of the route. Most serious was a woman who hit the bonnet of the vehicle in front of me with her walking pole in protest. She (& her husband) got proper flappy when I told her that she could expect to be arrested for obstruction of a public right of way and criminal damage.

To be fair i've had confrontation with m'cyclists who were riding a footpath. They actually threatened us until one of our party advised him he was a police officer and then put him under caution.

Down here in west country, it's a lot easier. less ramblers, and more tolerance to land rovers as they could well be working vehicles. In fact walkers are postively polite around here.
Post #173915 7th Oct 2012 11:34pm
Psulli16

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Java Black
There's a programme on BBC Iplayer all about this with reference to the Peak District. It's a real eye opener and major worry

Tails from the national parks WWW.1STOVERLAND.CO.UK

http://www.facebook.com/#!/1stOverland
Post #173922 8th Oct 2012 6:30am
Projectblue

England 
I've given up with NP, they have an agenda to remove vehicle access, period. Sadly they'll win eventually.
Post #173944 8th Oct 2012 8:36am
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Get a green land rover with an ifor williams top, nobody bats an eyelid, in fact most walkers think you are a local Farmer / Gamekeeper and are quite pleasant. Faced with a Jacked up D2 covered in stickers and bog Monster tyres they are not quite so pleasant. Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #173946 8th Oct 2012 8:56am
pom

willy eckerslike wrote:
Get a green land rover with an ifor williams top, nobody bats an eyelid, in fact most walkers think you are a local Farmer / Gamekeeper and are quite pleasant. Faced with a Jacked up D2 covered in stickers and bog Monster tyres they are not quite so pleasant.

So True. Those knacker D2's you see all the time is what gives the rest a bad name.

Pom
Post #173955 8th Oct 2012 9:54am
pope10001

United Kingdom 1992 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Zermatt Silver
I understand what you are saying but they of course have a right to be there as well. I know its not always the case but just because someone can only afford a knackered tatty D2 doesn't mean that they are anymore likely to be a hooligan than someone in a pristine Defender or Disco 4.

Anything driven legally and responsibly has a right to be on a BOAT, but i think the two key words for all driving on greenlanes are Legally and Responsibly. Try to use a video camera all the time, that way you have evidence not only that you are being responsible but of people that would like to smash your bonnet with their walking sticks or hurl abuse at you. Be polite at all times and try to be factually correct, make sure you do have the legal right to be where you are.

Just my two penneth worth.

Mark Smile
Post #173960 8th Oct 2012 10:16am
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
[quote="pope10001"]I understand what you are saying but they of course have a right to be there as well. I know its not always the case but just because someone can only afford a knackered tatty D2 doesn't mean that they are anymore likely to be a hooligan quote]

They seem to be able to afford 100 lights, 10 ariels, 1000 stickers, Leather Bush hats, ARB Lockers, Camo Trousers, Rigger Boots, Mirror sunglasses, Pork pies, and their girlfriends tit job. Wink Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #173966 8th Oct 2012 10:43am
custom90

United Kingdom 
That's because they bought them out a knackers yard for a few hundred / couple of grand Rolling with laughter There has in the recent past been some illegal off roading just up the road in woods from me that are privately owned. But I've never seen a LR at all there when the idiots have been there (It's right next to a BOAT so good excuse to close it) So they've let it over grow instead Rolling Eyes Anyway as I said never seen a LR involved at all only MX bikes and old banger Suzukis and the like Rolling Eyes Around here the problem I think is more bikers A. not knowing where you should and shouldn't legally go and B. riding far too fast if they were to come across anyone or anything they'd either may hit them or come off. What happened to the greenlane code? I though it was recommended 15mph or similar. They seem to want to do twice that. Confused Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173968 8th Oct 2012 10:50am
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
willy eckerslike wrote:
Get a green land rover with an ifor williams top, nobody bats an eyelid, in fact most walkers think you are a local Farmer / Gamekeeper and are quite pleasant. Faced with a Jacked up D2 covered in stickers and bog Monster tyres they are not quite so pleasant.

Thats why i keep mine looking pretty standard Wink Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #173972 8th Oct 2012 11:09am
Psulli16

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Java Black
Mmmm knackered D2's........ I know a lot of laners with a wide range of vehicles. My best friends have D1's yet they both own and drive new range rovers. They are vary responsible drivers both on and off road. However the cheap accessibility to D1 and D2 does mean a large number of chavs are now smashing their way through the country side. I read recently that the price of used D1's is now rising as so many either rot away or are smashed to bits in lanes. WWW.1STOVERLAND.CO.UK

http://www.facebook.com/#!/1stOverland
Post #173974 8th Oct 2012 11:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1