↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Winch and Bumper
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Winch and Bumper
AndrewS, Glynn, Discocuzzy, I know you never go offroad Whistle but, I need some advice regarding Winch and bumper set ups. So occaisonal use, no competition use, Landrover 90, what size what spec do I realistically need. I've looked at the offerings from Devon, FirstFour, Superwinch, Goldfish,. I was thinking rope rather than wire. Not tubular. Do I need a wireless remote is it worth the expense? Do i need the second battery. Most probable uses, pulling the odd log about, self recovery from mud, not much use expected on big gradients.

Pete Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #14754 28th Aug 2009 7:46am
mowcop

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
I have a warn 8274 on my 130 which is great, one battery and a warn wireless remote.

I think the 8274 is great but very expensive for occasional use, one normal macro battery and it has never let me down, and the radio control was fitted a few months ago when the handset got pinched and in my mind is a very usfull and safe peice of kit (you can stand well away from any winching task)

A friend has a Huskey which would be my second choice due to its robust construction, but again expensive.
He also runs a Warn 9000? which has never let thim down (off road instructor and play day owner)

I have not had any dealings with the budject winches or special bumpers so it would be wrong to pass comment!

Martin.
Post #14767 28th Aug 2009 7:19pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Warn Ti Chap Thumbs Up

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/9.5ti.shtml

If you call Tim at Devon 4x4 you may get a good deal Wink

From what you describe you wont need an extra battery, the winch looks cool (which is the most important thing) Wink

The Ti bit means you get a red light on the remote telling you things are getting warm. With what you describe I doubt you will ever see the red light.

Rope Thumbs Up As long as you understand its limitations Thumbs Up get some training Thumbs Up

Wireless Remote Question Will you be on your own Question If so then yes, but would you want to winch anything on your own Question Neutral

Obviously there are other winches about, TBH it will be determined by your budget Thumbs Up
Post #14768 28th Aug 2009 7:19pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i know the post is not addressed to me, but my 2p worth

firstly when you get a winch - get some proper trg on it 0 they can be lethal.

for the money ££ per lb and backup/reliability i would go for a TDS

good points:
its strong, will pull like hell, and wont break, plus there are tonnes of upgrades, 24v system, larger drum, freespool etc etc

bad points:
its very slow - but probably no slower than an XD9000i comparing like for like

i would point out that i am sponsored by Goodwinch who sell the TDS but having use da variety of winches in my various roles i think for your money you wont beat it. i run an 8274 front and Husky rear so can see where the other recommendations come from and they are good but you are not mentioning being a high rate user which these are better suited to.

we do run a TDS with large drum on our challenge truck and although its bloody slow it works everytime and pulls like hell - its just doesnt slow down under load (we have the the 12000lb version) and the vehicle is light weight. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #14770 28th Aug 2009 8:08pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
In my opinion the best winches are Warn winches.

Personal favourite the warn 9.5ti (the one i have) only really had the chance to use it twice...which is a shame but hey

There is a full debate on bumpers and legalities if you do a search it will come up. Mike
Post #14777 28th Aug 2009 9:07pm
landyman1

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

To add my uninvited comment.
My use of winch sounds same as yours-- occasional use for business in getting out of almost inaccessible places, recovering stuck commercial van on occasion and play days. Had two or three years use out of Goodwinch EP9 from David Bowyer with absolutely no problem. Bumper also came from him and shows no sign of rusting. Better than other budget range winches, in my view a half way stop between budgets and the best ---Warn.
Suggest you deal with David Bowyer or Devon 4X4 for sensible guidance.
Post #14778 28th Aug 2009 9:29pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
Good replies, the question was open to everyone as it's always good to hear all opinions. Thumbs Up Hopefully I'll do some training with AndrewS at one of the Do's. I have been in rigging and lifting for 30yrs but appreciate winching vehicles etc will have differences, you can always learn something and never know everything Exclamation

Maybe one day AndrewS will organise a day for Defender2 people along the lines of the days done for the D3 men, there seems to be more people on the site nowadays.

Pete Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #14786 29th Aug 2009 7:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1