↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > engine turns off when starting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
labrador

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
engine turns off when starting
can any one help or heard this before,does not happen all the time say every couple of weeks or so.
when i start my 110 tdci sometimes it just turns of within a second if i try to start it straight away
it will not turn over,i have to leave it for 40 seconds then she fires up as though nothings happened.
its a 110 puma tdci been remapped year 08 Exclamation
Post #171419 27th Sep 2012 10:17pm
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've had that twice since owning it about 15 months.

Both times it was a case of drive onto my drive after a longish drive switch off and then if I decided to move again, when I switch on it just cuts back out. After a few seconds it's fine.

I pressumed it's maybe to do with the EGR self clean being interupted. I'm pretty sure it happened to a Safari Puma when I was in South Africa too. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #171443 28th Sep 2012 6:45am
labrador

x-isle wrote:
I've had that twice since owning it about 15 months.

Both times it was a case of drive onto my drive after a longish drive switch off and then if I decided to move again, when I switch on it just cuts back out. After a few seconds it's fine.

I pressumed it's maybe to do with the EGR self clean being interupted. I'm pretty sure it happened to a Safari Puma when I was in South Africa too.

Its always happened during the day when in use at work never happened on a cold start in morning,thinking of
putting in 2stroke castrol actevo that might clean up EGR.
cheers paul
Post #171466 28th Sep 2012 8:17am
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
Thats the imobilisation. They all do it.
Post #173169 4th Oct 2012 5:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
As above you always need to keep the imobiliser disarmed before starting. Just because the vehicle is un-locked doesn't mean it's dis armed. For example unlock it start the engine then shut off again and quickly you will notic the red light on the dash starting flashing like it's locked. This is the imobiliser self arming it's self arming even though you haven't locked it. If you start the egine at this point it will cut out again after a second or two. All you have to do is press unlock on the key fob and start and all should be fine. I can't guarantee this is your issue but could be. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173170 4th Oct 2012 5:42pm
nicks

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
That's a better explanation than mine!

I have noticed though if you have tried to start whilst immobilised, I can't reset by pressing unlock on the fob whilst sat in it,, I have to get out
Post #173172 4th Oct 2012 5:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Have you ever tried to lock then un-lock instead on the fob? Only annoying issue I have with mine is not imobilisation but the central locking. All works perfect in normal use however if the passenger presses the door button with the vehicle locked when I actually go to unlock it properly the passenger door still won't open from the outside and only inside once you try to open it on the door handle and move the door pin (the sliding locking part at the top left of the door) from the inside it will then open okay. Highly annoying though if it does happen and won't happen unless like I say the passenger presses the door unlock button from outside before the door is unlocked. Only my passenger door does it. Neutral In normal use it works just perfect. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #173179 4th Oct 2012 6:28pm
labrador

ok cheers lads i will take note next time it happens or might trigger the imoblizer myself to see if thats the probem
hope so,just filled up my empty tank with bp ultra max OUCH 98 Sad
Post #173207 4th Oct 2012 8:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1