↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Bumperettes for 110
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
lrdxb110

United Arab Emirates 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Rear Bumperettes for 110
Hey guys, I was looking for rear bumperettes for my 110 that requires no drilling. I found these rear bumperettes for about 43 quid from http://www.landroverspares.co.uk/product.html?cpdID=7374. Anyone know if they would fit on the puma 110, just a quick fix.

Cheers. Whistle '08 LR Defender 110
'08 Mini Cooper S - Sidewalk
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #12849 11th Jul 2009 2:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I have some Bearmach ones for the rear you could have pm me if int'd. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #12851 11th Jul 2009 8:28am
Trevor Wright

Re: Rear Bumperettes for 110
lrdxb110 wrote:
Hey guys, I was looking for rear bumperettes for my 110 that requires no drilling.

The items you quote say "these bolt directly on to the rear cross member replacing the grab handles". The inner pair of "grab handle" holes are free on the Puma but the outer pair are used for a couple of bolts. I did consider installing a pair of the LR military bumperettes but they would also use these outer holes - not sure about replacing the existing bolts. The other issue to beware of with any bumperettes is blocking the space above the rear jacking tubes. Trevor Wright
'08 90 TDCi/TD4 XS SW
Post #12853 11th Jul 2009 8:41am
Grockle

The Bearmach one fit on using the rear seat belt anchor bolts and the inner mounting holes,the military ones need the cross member drilling for the inner bolts. 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #12855 11th Jul 2009 9:03am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
so does the LR NAS bumper Mike
Post #12858 11th Jul 2009 9:27am
lrdxb110

Cheers guys, still in two minds, anyone got any pics? would really be appreciated. Thanks. Cool '08 LR Defender 110
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #12871 11th Jul 2009 11:54am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
niglyn

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I can only speak for the 90, not studied the rear of a 110 ! I purchased a set, the square section type with chequer plating and the extra side piece part number BA 290 (I think..)

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/A...oated.html

Anyway, the problem is this, the mounting holes should be the two holes (one above the other slightly offset) at the far end of the crossmember. The next set of holes in are now occupied by bolts that are part of the new forward facing seat reinforcement bars and have very large & fat washers on them. It is these bolts & washers that foul the fixing arms of the bumperrettes.

The solution is to make up some spacers that will fit between the chassis and bumperrettes, so as to space the fixing arms clear of the offending bolt. The easiest method is to just use a load of washers and put them on the fixing bolts of the bumperettes. I'm planning to mill up some aluminium spacers, the same shape as the fixing arm of the bumperettes with a recess to clear the offending bolt. That way it will just look as if the bumperettes have thicker fixing feet. There is no reason why the aluminium spacers could not be made by hand and holes drilled, rather than slots milled (just measure the fixing holes on the chassis accurately) I just like playing with my toys Very Happy

Of course other designs of bumperettes may or may not have the same problem and by now I would have thought the manufacturers would have modified their design to fit the new style of chassis. For the ones I have nemtioned, all thet have to do is reverse the mounting arm and then they would fit fine.
Post #12880 11th Jul 2009 4:40pm
niglyn

Just as an anote to my previous post,

Have just re-checked and the bumperettes do indeed use the two outermost holes on the crossmember, not the holes now occupied by the bolts for the seat reinforcement. (This is just for my ones, other makes of course could use the other holes).

The 90 body overhangs the rear crossmember, so either the bumperette moutning arm must be spaced out further than the body (which is what I shall do, 10mm spacers should be fine) or cut the end of the mounting arm off. Either way no big deal.

Have noticed two differences in the chassis between the 07 & 09....
Found (when firring the towing hitch) that the lashing eye bolts are sleeved inside the chasis, this is right where the chassis has a bend down & up (to fold in a rear end crash I guess, no other reason to complicate the chassis) this sleeve can collect water with nowhere to drain. On my 07, I drilled a drain hole in the chassis either side. I notice on the 09 it now has drain holes.

The other nasty on the 07 chassis was right at the end of the rear crossmember, the end is a blind hole which slopes downwards (behind the outermost holes on the chassis) about 2 centimetres deep. Ideal for mud & water to build up & rust out. The 09 is no longer a blind hole, so at least there is some chance of water escaping.
Post #12882 11th Jul 2009 5:35pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Stornoway Grey
Here is a pic of some Equipe ones on my 110, they are 90 ones but fit really well Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
Post #12887 11th Jul 2009 7:38pm
lrdxb110

Niglyn - Cheers, for the descriptive info, I would get them but I have ordered black chequer plate protection and wing top protection for my stornoway grey 110 and the chequer plate on the rear bumperettes are silver. I ll send them an email to find out if they can change it too black. Cheers for the link Thumbs Up

Sonic3d - Those look really neat and btw what a beautiful defender you have these. How much did they cost you? and if you don't mind where did you get them from? Cheers Thumbs Up '08 LR Defender 110
'86 MB 500 SL
'79 MB 450SEL 6.9
Post #12890 11th Jul 2009 8:16pm
niglyn

They don't do the bumperettes with black chequer plate, as far as I know. I also have the grey colour. I could not believe how many people admired it whilst at Glasto. I prefered my cairns blue, but that never got a second glance. I must admit the grey does look classy.

I have got all the chequer plate in silver and will fit it to mine. Got the Padock 3mm stuff. Just need to pluck up the courage to start drilling holes Shocked which is why I never fitted them to my old defender. Have got the full length wing protectors (they did not do a puma version when I bought them) and so will have to cut them to the new bonnet profile. Interestinly my LR dealer was still fitting the wrong wing protectors to customers cars, till I pointed out it will damage the paint on the edge of the bonnet. Main dealers eh, Iuckin fdiots.
Post #12891 11th Jul 2009 9:11pm
Sonic3d

lrdxb110 wrote:

Sonic3d - Those look really neat and btw what a beautiful defender you have these. How much did they cost you? and if you don't mind where did you get them from? Cheers Thumbs Up

Cheers Thumbs Up I think i paid about £150 for them last year, i got them from a company called LRS Offroad.
Post #12893 11th Jul 2009 9:24pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
niglyn wrote:
Interestinly my LR dealer was still fitting the wrong wing protectors to customers cars, till I pointed out it will damage the paint on the edge of the bonnet. Main dealers eh, Iuckin fdiots.

They dont really - i have the genuine full length ones; fitted from new.

I have to say the short ones just look silly in my opinion. Mike
Post #12900 12th Jul 2009 10:56am
Sonic3d

mse wrote:
niglyn wrote:
Interestinly my LR dealer was still fitting the wrong wing protectors to customers cars, till I pointed out it will damage the paint on the edge of the bonnet. Main dealers eh, Iuckin fdiots.

They dont really - i have the genuine full length ones; fitted from new.

I have to say the short ones just look silly in my opinion.

I also have the full length ones and have to agree with Mse with the looks Thumbs Up
Post #12901 12th Jul 2009 12:22pm
niglyn

yep I prefer the look of the full length ones. It is a shame the fabricators can't cut them for the new shape bonnet. The chequer plate if fitted to a new bonnet are too wide thus go under the bonnet & (depending on the clearance) touch the underside of the bonnet which will chip the paint or start wearing it down. Have tried my plate on two pumas and on both there was not enough clearance between the bonnet and wing top for the plate to fit, without touching the bonnet. When I get round to fitting them, I plan to re-cut them to clear the bonnet. should be dead easy as the new bonnet sides are straight, thus only one straight cut is needed.

It is just the thought of drilling holes that I don't like Big Cry

Why to the genuine LR ones come with a gasket but not the aftermarket ones? Is there any need for this gasket?
Post #12902 12th Jul 2009 1:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>