Home > Td5 > Intermittent 'over-revving'
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
party monkey

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Cairns Blue
Intermittent 'over-revving'
Folks... a bit of help please...

In the past couple of weeks my Td5 has developed intermittent 'over revving' (not sure if there's a more technical term for this). It's noticeable only when accelerating in fourth and fifth gear and I can best describe it as similar to riding the clutch.

Firstly, I am not riding the clutch Very Happy and it does not particularly occur straight after a gear change. In addition, on a standing test tonight, under heavy revving, it will fire out a plume of black smoke and I noticed from tonight's fill up that mpg is down on my typical level, so there appears to be some element of over-fuelling going on.

It's a 2005 15P Td5, EGR removed and bespoke remap from a forum sponsor a good 18 months ago. Exhaust system has not been modified in any way.

Have checked out the following in the last few days.....

No faults codes showing.

Engine oil level appears to be consistent with previous checks.

MAF sensor - Reading Mid 50's at idle (750 rpm). Sounds about right to me.

MAP sensor - cleaned - a little bit mucky but not too bad as I'd cleaned it some months ago. (I'm assuming a De-EGR'd MAP sensor would still get a some residue on it from the general state of our air quality)

ECU red plug - no trace of oil but cleaned anyway.

Turbo Wastegate actuator - Initially thought this was the culprit.... could not shift it. Copious amounts of WD40, left overnight and got it moving yesterday. Quite a resistance on it but I think that's normal. Sadly the over-revving was still evident today.

Will check the air filter tomorrow.

I noticed tonight that the throttle pedal readings - were outside the 'norm' as noted by BBS's Nanocom notes. (0.7/4.3/4.6 to 4.7/0.3/0.4), so I will clean the contacts on the multiplug just on the offchance.

I'm using same brand (Esso) of fuel as usual and from the same garage too. Only thing I did do a couple of fill ups ago was to fire a shot of Forte into the tank......

Any suggestions on what else a person with limited skills can look at before it has to go and pay a visit Confused Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #170606 24th Sep 2012 11:25pm
decnal

Australia 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
party monkey, how many miles has your clutch done?

I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid but I have been experiencing exactly the same 'over revving' behaviour (but not the black smoke) so am very interested in opinions anyone may have.

It has been happening to me intermitantly in 3rd or 4th when accelerating reasonably hard, when the revs get a bit above 2,000rpm, which I guess is when the power delivery is increasing to maximum

I have a 2005 Td5, EGR removed and stage 2 remap from a forum sponser with no exhaust mods. She has 105,000 km on the clock, of which I have done about 7,000 km.

I was thinking that the clutch is going, but considering the relatively low km's, the previous owner must have treated it real bad.

Is there any other potential cause for over-revving or are we looking at clutch replacement? A clutch replacement at 105,000 km seems very premature
Post #170629 25th Sep 2012 7:43am
party monkey

Hi Decnal, Truck has done just under 60,000 miles (around 96,000 km) in total. I've done around 25k miles (40,000km) in it.

No clutch change in my ownership and no evidence of previous owner having changed anything, so I'd assume I'm on the original clutch... Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #170636 25th Sep 2012 8:10am
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
Sounds like the clutch on both of yours is on the way out. I had my first clutch changed at 34k and again at 40k. its a TD5 with a fairly aggressive remap, EGR removed and decat exhaust, the remap is supposed to be about 175bhp. Have spoken to another owner recently who has had the same experiences with clutches. We don't tow and only use the vehicles for about 6000 miles pa.

I did research the clutch issues before the last change at 40k and the well known tuning suppliers all agreed that OEM clutches are up to the remaps to abut 200bhp. I did consider changing to a solid flywheel and racing friction plate but wanted to keep it fairly standard. However, although the standard clutch will take the extra power it appears the pressure plate will not last long !

The symptoms you are describing sounds very much like the clutch is slipping as the turbo spools up after 2000 revs. As the power kicks in and is transmitted to the wheels the clutch starts to slip until the road speed better matches the RPM or you ease off on the throttle. Symptoms are greatest in 3rd and 4th and probably 5th going up a hill.

If you PM me with the remap details I can compare it to mine. It looks like its the more aggressive remaps are a contributing factor to the life of the clutch. I am not knocking the remaps but you may have to accept a shorter working life of some of your drive train. Obviously there will be exceptions and some will last for years. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #170641 25th Sep 2012 8:39am
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Sounds exactly like mine - the clutch is on the way out. This only showed up when I had my remap, as the increased torque took the clutch over the edge Big Cry

It's fine as long as you don't gun it in 4th all the time, so I'm gonna soldier on with mine for a few more miles (just under 70k now, presume first clutch).
Post #170645 25th Sep 2012 8:44am
wslr

United Kingdom 
Perhaps the clutch plate has got contaminated either from oil leaking from the crank seal, or from a fuel pressure regulator/rear rocker cover gasket leak.
Post #170647 25th Sep 2012 8:56am
party monkey

Many thanks for the feedback guys.

Just to compare remaps..... I have what I consider to be a fairly gentle allround remap. The main motivation was to improve the drivability and reduce the downshifts (which I have to say it has done in spades). I believe it would be equivalent to around 150bhp. I don't tow and would like to think I'm fairly mechanically sympathetic. No idea what may have gone on with the previous owners though.

Will ask my local indy to investigate a potential slipping issue during the next service, which is imminent anyway. Will update here in due course.

Thanks again Thumbs Up Jon - 110 td5 [sold]. Currently Defenderless.
Post #170854 25th Sep 2012 9:11pm
decnal

Australia 2005 Defender 110 Td5 SW Alpine White
Thanks all for the comments guys

I don't drive her particularly hard and rarely bury-the-boot, hence the intermittence of the issue, so I can probably live with it for now. Is there any potential problem with leaving it as it is until the clutch really starts to go?

I had not considered leakage as a potential cause. I'll have a good look around the back of the engine and check for any fluids that shouldn't be there. I assume there is no way to check if the crank seal is leaking without droping the gearbox? or is there a hole available to get a borescope in there to take a peek?
Post #170890 26th Sep 2012 1:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1