↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > buy advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
zone30

Belgium 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 X-Tech LE Nara Bronze
buy advice
Looking at 1998 TD5 Def 110, 207k kms (= 130k miles).

Anything particular I need to watch out for?
How is it's reliability?

Will be mostly used for fun, occasional mild to semi offroading.

Looks in mint condition, hardly any rust on pictures (of course need to check it out first).

As a go-see will take me half a day (quite some distance to drive first), I'd first make sure it's worth it.

FYI I own a Freelander 2, so I do know what the car is about.

PS I may be tempted to do some mods later (wading mods and maybe even raising height). Any comments on that?
Post #166894 7th Sep 2012 1:04pm
Dobby

Head gasket, has it ever been done. Early TD5s had plastic head locating dowels that were a bit shoddy. Check for air in the rad top pipe after a good hard drive.

Oil in the ECU loom. Check the plugs on the ECU for oil, it blows through from the engine, doesn't damage the ECU but needs a new loom at a few hundred quid.

Smoke in the exhaust can be a sign of worn turbo. Black is overfueling, blue is wear and white is water in the engine.

And of course rust in the obvious places, bottom of doors, bulkhead etc.
Post #166904 7th Sep 2012 2:04pm
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Dobby wrote:
Head gasket, has it ever been done. Early TD5s had plastic head locating dowels that were a bit shoddy. Check for air in the rad top pipe after a good hard drive.

Oil in the ECU loom. Check the plugs on the ECU for oil, it blows through from the engine, doesn't damage the ECU but needs a new loom at a few hundred quid.

Smoke in the exhaust can be a sign of worn turbo. Black is overfueling, blue is wear and white is water in the engine.

Apart from all of the the great advice above an early TD5 is also very likely to have a poor rear cross member.
Post #166919 7th Sep 2012 5:03pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
and the fuel pressure regulator at rear end of cylinder head.

General leaks & water ingress

Make sure all the electrics work, especially things like central locking, alarm, heated screen, HRW, ABS/Traction.

Have a look under the seat boxes, should be clean and tidy

Open up the fuse box on the tunnel and make sure all looks ok

Lift the rear carpet/mat - make sure it's ok
(in fact lift all carpets)
Check A/R bar bushes, trailing arm bushes.

have a look behind the plastic cover where the tow electrics come from

test tow electrics - if fitted

wiggle propshafts and have a good poke around underneath
Post #166923 7th Sep 2012 5:20pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Dobby wrote:

A slight puff of blue may be present if they add 2T oil to the diesel Thumbs Up 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #167050 8th Sep 2012 8:49pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Zone 30, I'm glad you've got a FL2, we've got one as well.

So you'll be used to the levels of handling, smoothness of ride, quality of build, reliability, performance and economy the green oval can provide.

A defender won't give you many (any?) of the above, but many, many more smiles each time you drive it.

Enjoy!

Keith
Post #167058 8th Sep 2012 9:26pm
zone30

Deal fell through, but I will keep looking for one.
Thx for all the great advice.

I'm looking mainly for one to have fun with. Not for day to day driving. I don't mind having to repair or better things as long as they are not a major cost or can couse major issues later.

If I don't find one that's lifted, I probably will do it myself at one point. I kinda know what's involved and I have a brother who isn't scared of taking a car apart and rebuild it, so on a technical side I don't see any issues. I prefer the D90 for it's better off-road abilities, but if anybody can tell me the cost involved of lifting one I would be gratefull. It could open some options for me to compare prices of lifted and non-lifted ones.

Looking at this one now. Though it's not yet kitted out, the basics should be done for about 2000 euro's (bumper with winch, protection where possible, snorkel, etc...). Leter I'll do the repaint and lifting when funds allow it.

There's of course this one but it a TDi, not a TD5, but appart from different tyres (not sure if it's lifted or not which could kill it for me) it's close to having everything I think I need on it. Just some minor things which would cost like 200 euros to fix (step on the back, light protection missing).

Fyi, I will make it a comercial vehicle so, in Belgium of course, it would cost me 156 euro ear road tax a year and I don't have to pay putting-it-in-use-tax, which normally amounts to +500 yearly road tax and 850 one time putting-it-in-use-tax. So should quite payable to use as a not really-needed-but-want-anyway type of car.

The want part grew after putting the freel2 off-road at the yearly LRD meet I attended for the 3th time.

Thx
Post #167544 11th Sep 2012 8:28am
zone30

Guess i'm already too late. Man they go fast these days.
Post #167677 11th Sep 2012 6:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1