↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Any green lane experts here?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
CFB

United Kingdom 
Any green lane experts here?
Looking at planning a green laning trip in North Yorks, a few were mentioned in LRO recently but as I am browsing Memory Map there seem to be loads of long lanes just north of Pately Bridge. They cross Masham moor but are only marked as ORPA's so I'm not sure of the status and can't see any on-line resource.

Anyone able to help me out?

Refs are from SE11483 75037 to SE19443 75747 Andy
Post #164597 26th Aug 2012 7:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Hello Andy

Just had a look on the Council's web site - http://maps.northyorks.gov.uk/connect/?mapcfg=Out_and_About

When clicking on rights of way you will very little in the way of BOAT's, these are marked as brown.

The Councils around the country never highlight the Unclassified Country Roads (marked on the map and your reference as a series of red dots). You can certainly drive them unless there are any closure notices

LRO actually use a lot of these when you read their green lane features.

Unless you get in contact with a club local to the area the best way to explore UCR's to get get out there and see for yourself. I use them when i plan my days out and find that UCR's can be a real hidden jem but you do need to be prepared as you should for any green lane trip.

Looking at my Memory Map there are a number of UCR's for you to explore and have a cracking day out - just make sure that you have another car with you to be on the safe side.

Good luck and send in the pictures

Mark
Post #164626 26th Aug 2012 9:29pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
I don’t know if they are open, but I drove Ireshope Moor (said to be England’s longest greenlane) at 12 miles long and Rudland Rigg (said to be England’s highest greenlane) last year. I did take some pictures from the top of Ruddland Rigg, but the mist was so thick that you could cut it up and take it home!

Merlin
Post #164725 27th Aug 2012 2:04pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
To the best of my knowledge its a bridleway but it is a year or so since I've been past there. It's not shown on trailwise as being anything though, there are a lot of shooting tracks round there.
Have got various tracks marked on memorymap from when we did the coast to coast but most of them are further north in the Pennines and lots in the north yorks moors. where we're you thinking of going?
If you pm an email address I could send you them but it might have to wait until after Peterborough as things are getting a bit busy cos it's year end too Neutral
Barbara
Post #165050 29th Aug 2012 7:57am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
They were certainly greenlanes when we went down them. The signs said so. Might have changed though. BTW will Brendan be bringing my steering wheel to P'boro? The same on as you have in your Puma.

Merlin
Post #165075 29th Aug 2012 12:02pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
The steering wheel should be here for Peterborough but it will probably depend on which couriers they use as sometimes shipments seem to go all round the houses before they get to us.
And it's not always my fault, unlike today's delivery which had been all over the shop because I had put schools postcode in instead of ours - I'm blaming auto-fill on forms not my dizziness. Rolling with laughter
Barbara
Post #165110 29th Aug 2012 3:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1