↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tow Kit Wiring?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
solmanic

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Tow Kit Wiring?
I have a genuine (in Australia) Land Rover tow bar from a Td5 which I am putting onto the new Defender. This leaves the wiring needing to be done separately. Is there a terminal block or spare connector somewhere in the rear of the vehicle that the standard tow kit wiring just plugs into or will I need to splice the new connector wires in one by one?

The Td5 wiring diagram shows trailer pick-ups for indicators, tail & brake lights but then the connector they all refer to is just the trailer plug socket. The tow-kit installation manual just seems to focus on the mechanical installation of the towbar and has a few cryptic diagrams for the wiring hook-up that suggests there should be a number of individual connectors behind the RH tail light with no actual worded description.

This is all assuming the previous model and 07MY Defenders are roughly the same in this department... 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #900 12th Dec 2007 2:03pm
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
I think there is a connecter plug located up behind where the rear lights are, mine is located behind the plastic cover above the rear chassis crossmember behind the lights on the drivers side when looked at from under the wheel arch. You should see the wiring loom under there.

Hope this helps
DAZ110
Post #901 12th Dec 2007 4:28pm
Bogblaster

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Adventure Corris Grey
Daz is bang on with his description, wish I had known before I spent half an hour on my back in the dirt trying to locate it, well hidden it is! 2019 MY Disco 5 HSE Lux
Audi A4 Avant 3.0L TDI Quattro - WOW
2016 90 Adventure
Post #904 12th Dec 2007 10:37pm
solmanic

Yes thanks for that advice - I have worked out now from the cryptic wiring diagram and instructions sketch where it should be. I'll hunt for it on the week-end. If only I hadn't had the rustproofing done already - every job under the car is a filthy, greasy nightmare. Oh well. 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #905 13th Dec 2007 1:08am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've just bought a tow bar and electrics for mine but not fitted it yet. The instructions with the electrics do indeed show removal of a cover and that the plug should be there. I can scan and post the instructions if anyone wants them.

On the face of it it looks a simple job and I can't see why you'd pay a dealer to do it (famous last words) Very Happy
Post #1403 17th Feb 2008 12:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
solmanic

Sorry - I should have posted a follow-up. The wiring is all done and in the end I just opted to get my local auto-elec to do it. For $50 (that's about 20 quid for you guys) and half-an-hour it really wasn't worth my time to do it myself.

The standard practice here is to just graft the wires into the harness leaving the existing UK spec. plug untouched. You would think that maybe Land Rover Australia would at least get a standard Australian spec. wiring harness with the proper LR plug, but no. They just do what everyone else here does and solder into the wires behind the socket. 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV

Last edited by solmanic on 18th Feb 2008 12:18pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1411 18th Feb 2008 9:20am
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
So why are yours different to ours then Question Just curious Thumbs Up
Post #1412 18th Feb 2008 10:32am
solmanic

The Australian Standard is different from the UK one. The most common Australian trailer wiring setup uses a 7 pin plug which utilises brake, indicators & tail lights, earth, aux. power & electric brakes. From memory, the Defender harness has 10 wires so there are a few not used. The other standard Australian setup is a 12 pin plug which needs more wires to be run so neither actually match the UK spec in the vehicle.

I still don't understand why Land Rover Australia don't just sell a 7-pin loom with the corresponding 10-pin connector so it can just plug straight into the Defender feed with just a few unused pins. The dealers do what every other auto-electrician here does and solder directly into the wires. So in the end they offer nothing that you can't get "around the corner" for half the price. 2007 Defender 110
1970 Alfa Romeo 1750GTV
Post #1413 18th Feb 2008 12:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1