↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > What Wheels and Tyre Combi is everyone running?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
rustyboxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Montalcino Red
Cooper STT's 285/75 on Zu 7 x 16 rims.

Always been a fan of BFG's but couldn't get 285's for love nor money earlier this year. Can't say that there is much between them to be honest.
Post #177445 20th Oct 2012 4:15pm
håvardb

Norway 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Soft Top Santorini Black
hello.

this is what i have as tyre/wheel, mach5 beadlock with maxxis trepador 35"

Click image to enlarge
[/URL][/img]
Post #177470 20th Oct 2012 6:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
ContiCrosscontact AT
After 34500 miles on the original fit Michelin XZL that have performed very well, good firm side walks that kept the camper stable and never let me down in the wet, I decided with winter approaching to change the tyres (5mm left on fronts, 13mm when new). However XZL not available at the moment, so I had to decide on new tyres.

99% of my miles are on Tarmac on winding A roads, but when using the camper and when doing towing duties for scout group etc I need to ability to cope well in mud and as a contractor I need to get to work no matter how bad the weather is so I decided on an AT tyre.

With the new ratings I started to investigate options, after a lots of recommendations, finally decided on Continental Crosscontact AT with a 120weight rating. Now the standard fit on 130 from LR.

I've had them fitted a week now and have driven them on my usual Chester to Pembrokeshire drive this evening (plenty of very wet roads!) and the most noticeable differences are:

Radio now seems to work, I can hear what they are saying
Hand free kit works, other party can hear my voice
- 75dB rating on Contis, I'd love to know the figure for XZL's
Wider tread will require the truck to be washed slightly more often, especially with the filthy Cheshire roads, spray up the side from edge of tread is bad. The lads at Helsby Hand Car Wash will increase their turnover now.
Wider tread requires slightly lower pressure on rear, more accommodating of potholes!
Cornering performance good, did not test to limit tonight bit too wet to push it too hard
Water clearance excellent, tried some heavy braking with nearside in deep water, coped very well.
Increased feedback through steering wheel when hitting standing water with single wheel at speed
Tyre chatter when reversing at full lock.

Will report on mpg changes in a couple of weeks when I've used a couple of tanks full.

In summary I am very happy with selection. Lets hope I get more than 35000 out if these, should get more if I remember to swap front for back at 20,000.
Excellent service from Chris B at ATS in Frodsham.

Richard 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #188385 25th Nov 2012 11:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234