↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Can I see your NAS step: Hudds/Bfd with spare on back door
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mrandmrsh

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Can I see your NAS step: Hudds/Bfd with spare on back door
All, my fantastic bike rack doesn't fit on the back of the 110 (I used it behind my Discos in the past).

What I want is for someone with the NAS rear tow step on Defender who lives/works near me (Huddersfield/Bradford) to kindly let me put the bike rack on their vehicle as I think it will actually move the tow bar far enough away to let the rack fit.

Background (for those interested)
The problem is that the bikes fasten to a fold up support (shown in the up position here) that is parallel to the back door. I can't fold it up on the D110 because the wheel is in the way.

It was just me and the boy needing to carry bikes last time so we threw the bikes in the back of the car but its a PITA if we are touring around having to half unpack to get our bikes out.

So, options considered.

1) Buy another bike rack (like one that hangs off the wheel on the back door) - this concerns me as I am not sure how much more weight it is sensible to put on the back door.
2) Fit some kind of 'spacer' to move the tow ball away from the cross member to try and clear the back wheel (e.g. the NAS rear step)
3) Take the spare wheel off when using the bike rack (discounted as can't be arsed/too hard)
4) Learn to ride unicycles (discount as, while the boy could maybe learn, I fall into the old dog category when it comes to learning anything new)
5) Use a roof rack (mpg, not keen on humping bikes up there but might be an option)

So, NAS rear step or roof rack seem most likely at the moment.

C[/b] 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

2012 '62' 2.2 X-Tech 110 USW now gone ...
1984 90 soft top with full roll cage, 200 tdi engine etc now sold
2012 USW XS 2.2 "FUU" now gone....
Post #161620 13th Aug 2012 1:27pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Just a thought, HCPU tow bars have a spacer to clear the overhanging rear body. These towbars fit a staion wagon and move the ball further out.

I'm not near my HCPU for a while to measure but it may be an easier/ cheaper option than the NAS step
Post #161623 13th Aug 2012 2:16pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Hi

The Thule version of that rack has the optional rear hoop angled to clear the spare wheel.

I have not found out yet if that means that the tow ball can be mounted to the rear cross member or you need a drop plate to lower it a bit

See attached from the Thule website

Good luck

Mark
Post #161669 13th Aug 2012 6:22pm
mrandmrsh

Cheers all - Jeremy - cracking spot that and a great idea as it's all type approved and good to go. Prices are eyewatering though (just short of £200) but might have a look around for a second hand one.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I notice there seem to be two different types here. One a bolt on to the standard 110 drop plate and the other a revised drop plate with extension bit on it.

C 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

Post #161747 13th Aug 2012 10:54pm
ben_j85jty

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
2 on ebay at the moment, about £50 or so. 2002 Defender 110 DC
Post #161749 13th Aug 2012 10:56pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Looking at that extension part on it's own looks a bit like the spacer that was on my Disco2 which enabled the tow ball to be stepped further away from the back. Just a thought, you might get a more reasonably priced one from a Disco.
Post #161753 13th Aug 2012 11:18pm
mrandmrsh

ben_j85jty wrote:
2 on ebay at the moment, about £50 or so.

what are you searching for? I dunno what to call it.

C 2015 110 USW XS in Santorini with premium contrast leather seats in tan/black, black headlining and with Dual Finish alloys (in the garage, now on Wolf rims with Goodyear MT/Rs)

Last edited by mrandmrsh on 14th Aug 2012 3:52pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #161757 13th Aug 2012 11:52pm
TR51

France 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
There you go:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Landrove..._500wt_922

Searched 'Land Rover 130 tow bar' Thumbs Up
Ben may be able to give another search term as I only found one...
P.S. Martin: Hope it's ok here, rather than in the Ebay section Confused
Post #161758 14th Aug 2012 12:57am
sewin elwy

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Re: Can I see your NAS step: Hudds/Bfd with spare on back do
mrandmrsh wrote:
All, my fantastic bike rack doesn't fit on the back of the 110 (I used it behind my Discos in the past).

What I want is for someone with the NAS rear tow step on Defender who lives/works near me (Huddersfield/Bradford) to kindly let me put the bike rack on their vehicle as I think it will actually move the tow bar far enough away to let the rack fit.

Background (for those interested)
The problem is that the bikes fasten to a fold up support (shown in the up position here) that is parallel to the back door. I can't fold it up on the D110 because the wheel is in the way.

It was just me and the boy needing to carry bikes last time so we threw the bikes in the back of the car but its a PITA if we are touring around having to half unpack to get our bikes out.

So, options considered.

1) Buy another bike rack (like one that hangs off the wheel on the back door) - this concerns me as I am not sure how much more weight it is sensible to put on the back door.
2) Fit some kind of 'spacer' to move the tow ball away from the cross member to try and clear the back wheel (e.g. the NAS rear step)
3) Take the spare wheel off when using the bike rack (discounted as can't be arsed/too hard)
4) Learn to ride unicycles (discount as, while the boy could maybe learn, I fall into the old dog category when it comes to learning anything new)
5) Use a roof rack (mpg, not keen on humping bikes up there but might be an option)

So, NAS rear step or roof rack seem most likely at the moment.

C[/b]

Hi, yeh, been there. Changed back to the defender after a disc 3 on which i used a thule rack that is simmilar to yours.
Worked out I'd have problems from the start so put a NAS step on straight away, still wasn't quite enough room. The thule rack tips down using a lever and you lift it back into place, but the support bar at the back fouled on the spare. I'd worked out that If I put an adjustable drop plate on the NAS step that it would fit alright as I didn't need much room but in the end I just modified the bike rack by repositioning the locking pins and holes so that the rack now sits about level rather than at a slight angle.

Hope it helps and it can be done! Martin.
Post #161867 14th Aug 2012 2:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1