↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > V8 Bulkhead details - NAS?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
V8 Bulkhead details - NAS?
The bulkhead that was originally fitted to my 127 is beyond economic repair and I jumped the gun a bit on selling it. I purchased a 300tdi donor bulkhead but to be honest I don't have the time to do the minor repairs that it needs before galvanising.

With this in mind I approached Mike at Ultra bulkheads to make me a new one, but there are a few details I'd like to clarify with the collective brain that is the forum first:

I'm going to be running a GEMS RV8 with R380 and TD5 bulkhead loom so the logical starting point would appear to be a ROW/300tdi bulkhead in lieu of a NAS one.

Some details I've already identified are;

- No central washer jet hole
- Wing fixing details to match 127 bulkhead
- No central wiring loom hole as the TD5 loom uses the oval ones

But I have the following queries:

- Does the footwell 'aperture' differ between the 300tdi and the V8? It doesn't appear to....

- Are there any V8 specific brackets that I should look to include? The NAS one pictured from Roversnorth has an odd looking bracket that I can't quite work out the function of?

- Any benefit to increasing the heater aperture to match the outlet size?

- Anything else to consider?

(The blue bulkhead is 300tdi, the green/blue is the original V8 and the black one is the NAS)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #929381 11th Nov 2021 11:59am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
Is the bracket you mention not for the air filter? And maybe the MAF aswell?

On the td5 the air filter brackets bolt to the bulkhead so you could always fabricate a bolt on bracket anyway

This image is stolen from google shows a 50th engine bay

Click image to enlarge
Post #929393 11th Nov 2021 2:22pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
I would 100% go for a TD5/ROW 300 one even if just to get the later wiper motor mechanism. You might want to look at some bracketary for the V8 air box. never really looked at a GEMS V8 airbox but assume it is located similar to a TD5 one.

You will also hopefully then get one with the correct holes for the electric window and central locking cable routing to match the wiring loom. Cant remember what you are doing in terms of dash layout but bear in mind there are a few differences between the pre and post 02 dash bracketry.

Although the 'diaphragm' which adapts the bulkhead to R380 or LT77 transmission tunnels should fit any of the bulkheads but I have seen a few oddball ones which dont have the full cutout needed to fit the R380 - I am sure that this is only very early pre-tdi ones.

Cheers,
Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #929394 11th Nov 2021 2:22pm
Shroppy

Thanks both, I had forgotten that the pre-02 TD5 bulkhead used the the tdi style dash. Rolling Eyes

A pre-02 TD5 bulkhead seems to be the best basis then, what are the benefits of the TD5 wiper motor mechanism?

Good idea re the air filter bracket, think I'll fab one up to pick up on the bolt holes if needed. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #929423 11th Nov 2021 7:51pm
Romadog

Air filter bracket on NAS V8 is bolted to rear of engine. No longer available from LR, like many NAS items.
Use Td5 bulkhead. Hole for earlier and bulkhead looms is not an issue, just confidence to drill a hole in a nice bulkhead. Then a plastic cover goes over it on engine bay side. %0th bulkhead loom(which included wing looms) is NLA but you may still get a ROW/Japan engine loom.

Where are you intending to place ECU? in the engine bay as factory? Again bracket NLA, but I have a kind friend who copied original and made a similar one for me....plus spares.

I have a 110 with NAS/50th parts and 4.0 Gems on the road and a NAS 90 in build if you wish to view PM me
Post #929430 11th Nov 2021 8:39pm
Shroppy

I'm planning to mount the ECU in the seatbox as per the TD5 setup, I'll have to extend the engine loom but I'm hoping a friend will help with that.

I may need to take you up on that, thank you Romadog. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #929473 12th Nov 2021 9:39am
Romadog

cool look forward to seeing that mod. I Just found this in my gallery..... fitted NAS white cover slightly modified from LHD to look like original.

Click image to enlarge
Post #929528 12th Nov 2021 7:44pm
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Shroppy wrote:
I'm planning to mount the ECU in the seatbox as per the TD5 setup, I'll have to extend the engine loom but I'm hoping a friend will help with that.

I'm planning to do the same on mine - either make an extension piece which plugs into the existing plug or re-do the wires to make them longer. Just seems a better place to put it, under the drivers seat. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #929537 12th Nov 2021 9:03pm
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
Romadog wrote:
cool look forward to seeing that mod. I Just found this in my gallery..... fitted NAS white cover slightly modified from LHD to look like original.

Click image to enlarge

Hi Jeremy,

I sent you a PM about the above Very Happy

Shane
Post #930197 18th Nov 2021 11:15am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
When I bought my galv bulkhead a few years ago I bought an 80s v8 one and fitted it with 200tdi dash components. All fitted fairly well apart from the heater outlets on dashtop but was easy enough to mod the plastic bits.

If you want a look theres a few v8s in staffordshire im sure you could have a look at to see the differences. Should be a LR meet in Jan over in congleton where most of them will be present!
Post #930622 21st Nov 2021 8:05pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
rallysteve wrote:
I would 100% go for a TD5/ROW 300 one even if just to get the later wiper motor mechanism. You might want to look at some bracketary for the V8 air box. never really looked at a GEMS V8 airbox but assume it is located similar to a TD5 one.

You will also hopefully then get one with the correct holes for the electric window and central locking cable routing to match the wiring loom. Cant remember what you are doing in terms of dash layout but bear in mind there are a few differences between the pre and post 02 dash bracketry.

Although the 'diaphragm' which adapts the bulkhead to R380 or LT77 transmission tunnels should fit any of the bulkheads but I have seen a few oddball ones which dont have the full cutout needed to fit the R380 - I am sure that this is only very early pre-tdi ones.

Cheers,
Steve
Go for late 02 on TD5 bulkhead with larger wiper wheel boxes TD5 tunnel and bulkhead are perfect for V8 R380 or ZF auto. Also think about blank vents as per TDCI much less drafts leaks etc
Post #930662 22nd Nov 2021 11:29am
Shroppy

Thanks all,

The post 02 TD5 bulkhead is where I'm at currently but with the amendments to the wing fixings and the central washer hole (so it looks 'right'). I've pondered going for a blank vent panel for a long time now but just can't make my mind up. Big Cry A possibly irrational concern of mine is that a bulkhead with a blank vent panel screams puma and nickable...... 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #930664 22nd Nov 2021 12:15pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
The Puma blank vent panel isnt an issue as the old vent flaps can be fixed over the blank bulkhead and externally they look identical to a earlier TDI/TD5 bulkhead
Post #930966 24th Nov 2021 12:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1