↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Cut outs and Temp Gauge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Cut outs and Temp Gauge
On our way up to Wales with the caravan we eperienced a number of brief engine cutouts with a simultaneous flicking of the temp. guage into the red. A slight lift off the throttle returned us to normal. This only happened when driving around 60 mph. I assumed it was related to the already noisy fuel pump giving reduced pressure at high demand.
A new OEM pump was fitted.
However, on the return journy from Wales without the caravan (We're going back to Wales at the end of the month) we got the same thing several times, always when over 60 mph.
The fuel filter was changed at the same time as the pump.
Any ideas what's causing it? 
Post #160285 6th Aug 2012 12:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
The temperature gauge would suggest the ECU is powering down for some reason. Possibly something like a dodgy electrical connection/supply.

Do you have an aftermarket/additional immobiliser that might be killing the master relay ?

Have you checked the loom/ECU plugs for oil ?

The temperature gauge on the TD5 Defender is driven by the ECU and if you power the rest of the vehicle up without powering up the ECU the gauge goes up to max which is why I think that's probably significant. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/
Post #160296 6th Aug 2012 12:51pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Similar to what Dave says- have you double checked the battery connections?..... Very simple thing but can catch people out.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #160298 6th Aug 2012 12:52pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Usually caused by a bad earth on the ECU casing itself... there should be a thin black wire with a ring terminal, bolted through one of the ECU mounting bolts.

Try either cleaning this up, or for a better cure run another cable (preferably black and of a similar or slightly bigger size than the original one) straight back to the battery, or another GOOD earth point.
Post #160320 6th Aug 2012 5:47pm
vulcanfreak

2006 Defender 90 Td5 Silver LE Zambezi Silver
Check the connections to the impact sensor on the engine bulkhead (ruberey thing with a reset button)
Post #160341 6th Aug 2012 7:04pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
diesel_jim wrote:
Usually caused by a bad earth on the ECU casing itself... there should be a thin black wire with a ring terminal, bolted through one of the ECU mounting bolts.

Try either cleaning this up, or for a better cure run another cable (preferably black and of a similar or slightly bigger size than the original one) straight back to the battery, or another GOOD earth point.

Jim's right. If the ECU can't see a reading from the coolant temp sensor, it raises up the temp gauge on the instrument pack, at which point the ECU cuts the engine as a failsafe.

With the ignition on, or engine running, wiggle the wiring behind the powertrain ECU and where the loom passes out of the underseat compartment. See if the temp gauge flinches around and note what you did. I've seen the loom leaving the ECU multiplug pulled tight on some Td5's and this caused the issue.
Post #160426 6th Aug 2012 11:58pm
Laurie

Thanks guys. Looks like you're all saying basically the same thing. Will investigate and report. 
Post #160428 7th Aug 2012 12:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Laurie

Have investigated.
It would seem, that in their infinite wisdom, Land Rover decided to not alarm their customers.
When you start your TD5 the temp. guage rises slowly to a preset midpoint.
After that, it remains at midpoint until the coolant temp. reaches 105° when it instantly moves to the red sector of the guage and puts the engine into limp mode.
I heve the XS version which includes aircon which reduces the airflow through the main radiator. I hadn't noticed that, while doing normal Land Rovery things, both radiators had become partially bloked by mud.
Clearing both rads has cured the problem. Very Happy 
Post #167243 10th Sep 2012 12:59am
me@td5.org

2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
I have experienced this also, it seems the guage is an analogue representation of a digital scale. In mine one minute it was OK next it was in the red. After slowing down for a few mins it was OK again.

At the time I put it down to thermostat operation but as soon as I got a chance to check it I realised this was not the case. There was hardly any water in it!
Post #167254 10th Sep 2012 7:28am
Laurie

My repairer took it for a fast drive with me watching his ECU reader.
The temperature on that showed a slow increase, while the guage remained at normal. 
Post #167291 10th Sep 2012 10:01am
TR51

France 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Glad you got it sorted Laurie, and good to know the cause for the future!!
Post #167293 10th Sep 2012 10:06am
Laurie

Cheap fix too Very Happy 
Post #167295 10th Sep 2012 10:13am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Guess what I'll be doing this week?....... Cleaning my rads out to at least allow air flow through them as they are pretty much 80% blocked with crud from the Plains and North Wales, some of that crud was added following you Laurie! Mine actually showed up a couple of falterings coming back on the A14 yesterday evening after keeping up a steady 60/65mph with occasional quicker bursts for overtaking. With an A bar and 2 large spots covering the front, air flow is less than a 'clean fronted' Defender but never given issue before. I have a feeling that the outside temperatures in the high 20's coupled with a fairly brisk cross wind may have been contributary factors.
Post #167296 10th Sep 2012 10:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1