Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre wear and tyre age advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
DC101

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Tyre wear and tyre age advice
Hi,

First, hello to everyone on the forum; I signed up last week after discovering Defender2.net. Very useful.

My firt post is looking for some advice on a set of BFG AT 265/75 I've had sitting in the gararge for the last two years. These were previously a second set I used on my 90, which was stolen 2 yrs ago. Now I'd like to put them on my alloys on my recently acquired 110, to replace the worn grabber tr's.

My question (got round to it eventually) is the tyres are probably 8/9 yrs old, but with between 8mm and 9mm tread. I've been told that you should look to replace tyres after 5 years. However, 4 replacement new tyres wouldn't leave me much change out of 600, and I don't have that money. The BFG's appear overall in good order, but a very fine lattice of cracks between the treads is evident on a couple of them. Side walls and tread blocks all look in good order.

Any advice welcome. Thanks,

Robin
Post #154310 8th Jul 2012 1:10pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
In all honesty I wouldn't use them. Yes I know new tyre's cost a lot but if you ended up skidding into some one or had a blow out at speed and wrote off the vehicle (If not yourself too!) It's really not worth the risk to yourself other road users or risking the damage side either. 8 - 9 years is a very long time and the small cracks you see are a sign of tyre degradation from age and the elements especially UV. If it has been stored a long time there could be tyre flat spots too? Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #154312 8th Jul 2012 1:31pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
If they look ok and are still round I'd use them. In the garage they will have been protected from a lot of the damaging UV radiation.

The tyres on my 90 are about 9/10 years old and I have no qualms with using them every day.
Post #154314 8th Jul 2012 1:58pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
The "German" view (and they take tyres very seriously here!), ignoring wear and with no signs of damage or degradation, is 4-5 years for car tyres and 8-10 years for truck tyres (more if the rubber is in good nick). Here, we change car tyres over between Summer and Winter and apparently that ages them faster Confused

So if yours are (at least) 8 or 9 years old, have been off a vehicle for 2 years and show clear signs of degradation... better buy new IMHO Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #154328 8th Jul 2012 3:32pm
ken

United Kingdom 
Skip them those black rubber things are the only things that are between you and the ground.

Thumbs Up
Post #154329 8th Jul 2012 3:34pm
DC101

Thanks for the prompt replies. I reckon you've confirmed a gut feeling. It clearly comes back to safety, which I can't compromise with my family in the landy. I think its looking like a new set and trip to see the bank manager. I could get away with just replacing two of the General Grabber TR's like for like, but would prefer a more aggresive tyre all round.

Robin
Post #154455 9th Jul 2012 12:55am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
My tyres are older than my car and they are fine. Don't believe everything the tyre companies tell you they need to sell you stuff and are just a little biased. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #154463 9th Jul 2012 7:04am
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
My tyres are older than my car and they are fine. Don't believe everything the tyre companies tell you they need to sell you stuff and are just a little biased. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #154468 9th Jul 2012 7:59am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Coopers are a very good alternative to the BFG's so I've heard and the price is a little more easier on the wallet. Other than the BFG's I would have gone for Coopers as a second choice. Thumbs Up Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #154485 9th Jul 2012 11:04am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Perhaps also check out Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX. I can't fault them on motorway, rough terrain or snow.

We just hammered 3000+ km around Italy on them. 6 adults, 2 dogs and very quiet and comfortable ride Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #154487 9th Jul 2012 11:13am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Well if you're chucking them away then I'm sure there are a great many people (myself included) who would gladly relieve you of them! Laughing
Post #154558 9th Jul 2012 7:19pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Don't risk it - anyone running out of date tyres with cracks showing in them is asking for trouble. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #154559 9th Jul 2012 7:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Grouse

I'd sell them for off road use only on ebay and put the towards a new set.
Post #154612 9th Jul 2012 10:20pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: Tyre wear and tyre age advice
DC101 wrote:

..... The BFG's appear overall in good order, but a very fine lattice of cracks between the treads is evident on a couple of them. Side walls and tread blocks all look in good order.

So cracking of the tyres is evident. Can you tell what is happening to the bonding between the steel belts and the rubber?

What is that structural strength within the tyre like?

The appearance of cracks in the rubber of a tyre is saying very evidently that degrading structural changes HAVE occurred within the tyre.

Rubber degrades by several routes. Aging, thermal, UV, salt, even water can cause degradation of the rubber which occurs via chain scission of the rubber molecules.

Now are you happy to put yourself at risk, your wife/gf/kids in danger? Let alone those innocent parties who just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time when your vehicle suffers a blowout at 70mph.

We have recently bought a new set of BFGs for our 110. Yes it hurt finacially but at least I know at least the tyres on our 110 are in good condition. Yes there is plenty of tread left on the tyres but they are cracking between the treads.

We have had an advisory on one of our tyres on our Disco. Reason being? Yes cracking so the wallet has to come out again. Plenty of tread but MOT inspector not happy with it.

Brendan
Post #154621 9th Jul 2012 10:53pm
DC101

I've just priced up a set of 4 ST Maxx and the best I could get comes in at 556 delivered.This is for 265/75. BFG's do appear a tad more expensive
Post #154622 9th Jul 2012 10:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>