Home > Expedition & Overland > roof rack or trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Def90Ian

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
roof rack or trailer
Guys,

I would like to kit my 90 out for some camping trips in UK and mainland Europe. I have been toying with the idea of getting either a roof rack or trailer and wondered what are the benefits of one over the other.

So my question is if you had to choose between roof rack or tent what would be your choice and why? Cheers,
Ian

Defender 90 HardTop in Keswick Green
Post #154126 7th Jul 2012 11:57am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've done both and can say that each approach has its' pro's and con's.

A trailer is great in that it enables you to set up camp and leave the vehicle free for exploring, carry more creature comforts and keep the towing vehicle relatively clutter free for passengers. On the other hand, they can reduce your cruising speed on motorways, slightly reduce manoeuvrability and can be a liability if entering the seriously rough stuff.

A roof rack can enable you to carry all of the gear you'd like on the one vehicle, but raises centre of gravity, increases wind resistance and can be a pain to get stuff on and off of.

A rack also has its' uses beyond camping, of course. A trailer might too but that would depend on the design - essentially whether it's just a cargo carrying tub or something more dedicated.

You also need somewhere to store a trailer when not using it. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #154175 7th Jul 2012 6:23pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
a trailer is ace because you can hitch up and drive away for the weekend/week ... but if you are travelling on ferries / euro tunnel you'll pay extra for the trailer.

i have a maggiolina on my rack, up high has it's benefits and the tent is up and down in a jiffy

i guess it really depends on how much you want to invest in camping ... buy the best and you will always have people wanting to buy decent quality kit
Post #154188 7th Jul 2012 7:19pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Rack for me.

A trailer would be a complete PITA when it comes to parking in a city or touristy place. Also as mentioned the higher ferry cost and limited top speed.

Andy
Post #154211 7th Jul 2012 9:26pm
TR51

France 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
My 2 pence worth...
Having a roof rack has its advantages as its always there for kit etc, BUT I have found I can't fit under height barriers at council car parks / shopping centres.
Not a major issue with a bit of forward planning but can be a pain (especially if it's raining!!).
Post #154213 7th Jul 2012 9:30pm
LandRoverAnorak

I guess like a lot of things 'it depends'. It depends where you are going and what you're planning to do when you get there.

For a few years my wife and I used a Desert Wolf trailer behind a Discovery I. It went everywhere I needed it to from the mountains of Norway to an Ikea car park in northern Italy. The only time I had an issue was when I inadvertently ended up in a multi-storey car park whilst looking for a glacier in Austria. Couldn't find a suitable place to park in there and had to drive straight out again, but on the other hand, I wouldn't have even made it inside with a loaded roof rack. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #154214 7th Jul 2012 9:40pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
I'd have though there weren't many glaciers to be found in multi storey carparks ..... Whistle Mr. Green
Post #162302 16th Aug 2012 11:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

It caught me by surprise too Laughing We were driving the Grossglockner Pass, which features a glacier part way along. I guess it had become such a congested stop off point that a car park had been built nearby. Unfortunately for us though, the signs to the glacier took you straight into the car park Rolling Eyes We did eventually manage to find somewhere outside big enough to park in though. Darren

Post #162305 16th Aug 2012 11:12am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
I guess like a lot of things 'it depends'. It depends where you are going and what you're planning to do when you get there.

Agree - I have both.

Trailer is perfect for heavy messy loads, building projects around the house, stuff to the tip, carrying awkward stuff (fridges, washing machines).

Roof Rack for kayaks and occasionally ladders, but heavy stuff is too hard to get up there (and I have a kari-tek...)

Click image to enlarge

Also - do you have space to safely and securely store a trailer when not in use? The roof rack takes up less room (and a lot cheaper) when not in use.

As others say - parking with both can be tricky. You need 2 spaces with a trailer on, but many car parks also have height restrictors (2.1m round me) and I can't get in with the roofrack on... Mad

I would start with a roofrack (mine was 2nd hand) - a cheaper alternative with less storage needed... You can always hire or borrow a trailer for the odd ad-hoc usage...? Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #162310 16th Aug 2012 11:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1