↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > What springs?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
What springs?
Just interested to know.. What springs some of you are using? Mine are looking a bit tired with most of the yellow powder coating flaking off no doubt Britpart Rolling Eyes Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #152254 27th Jun 2012 7:56pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Old man emu, very very happy with them

Andy
Post #152256 27th Jun 2012 8:02pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
landy andy wrote:
Old man emu, very very happy with them

Andy

Are they standard height or lift? Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #152259 27th Jun 2012 8:15pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
OME and/or standard LR ones.... both pretty good.
Post #152273 27th Jun 2012 8:57pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Mine are +1". Got from Gwyn Lewis Whistle

Andy
Post #152328 27th Jun 2012 11:12pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
OME are also renown for not having good finish. just because the coating is coming off doesnt mean the springs have had it though.

i use OME with + 2" on trayback and truck cab and std LR on 110 and HT 90 Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #152340 28th Jun 2012 6:28am
custom90

United Kingdom 
jst wrote:
OME are also renown for not having good finish. just because the coating is coming off doesnt mean the springs have had it though.

Very true but it does look naff though. I am unsure whether mine are aftermarket standard height still or lift springs as the previous owner had them fitted so I don't really know. It would either be standard or +2. What is the height of a standard height spring? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #152387 28th Jun 2012 10:54am
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Well, I just got some Britpart HD Lifted rear springs for my 90. We did all the maths on the various lengths / weights required the other day and the Britpart ones came out to match our needs, at a slightly more preferable ride height to the OME ones. For the price (especially at Paddocks who seem to be much cheaper than anyone else for them) they were worth a punt for the coming year when we are testing everything out, getting the load right, etc, for our Oz trip. If they don't work out well then we might change em later on.

Not wanting to get the Britpart debate fired up again (although it always seems to go that way anyway!), but we are not Britpart snobs in our house. Granted, we've had some crappy Britpart bits, but also some good stuff. Some stuff that comes in a Britpart box is the same manufacturer as OEM, but in the blue box it'll be a good bit cheaper than in the box with Land Rover logos on...

Teaming up the Britpart springs with some Koni Heavy Track shocks. Will let you know how they go!

Thumbs Up
Post #152429 28th Jun 2012 1:01pm
johnszs

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Alveston Red
What about flatdog springs?

Andy how much were the +1's? 2004 TD5 Defender 90 xs station wagon
Post #152442 28th Jun 2012 2:25pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
johnszs wrote:
What about flatdog springs?

Seen those probably good too! Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #152443 28th Jun 2012 2:27pm
SimonR

United Kingdom 
The only springs I would buy these days are OME or Genuine. I think most of the others are made out of recycled deck chairs and on the whole, sag, break or are not of the rating specified.

At least with OME you can buy a spring of a given poundage and length and it will be exactly that.

Si
Post #152563 28th Jun 2012 9:27pm
Pam W

Got the Britpart springs on tonight and they measure what they said on the blurb. Got the new Koni's hooked up too and went out for a spin.

Couldn't fault the ride and stability. Smooth over bumps, not harsh,yet feel good and firm on bends, etc. despite being lifted and as yet unladen. Haven't done the front yet so it looks a bit odd! Anyway, gone through the spreadsheet of weight / height / laden / unladen again and yet again, for the fronts the best match for our needs are the Britpart ones...

The other option was OME, with heights and load ratings the next nearest to our current optimum. But they are a lot of money to spend when we are currently experimenting with heights and loads for our big trip. I've also heard that the OME progressives are quite harsh without weight on - I will still be commuting for the next year, so want comfort ! Might still get OMEs (or Lovells, if we can get any) but for now the Britparts serve our needs.
Post #152580 28th Jun 2012 9:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Pam - How are the springs going now?

Anyone ever tried the D44 springs std height or +2 I believe they are. http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=sho...;Itemid=14 Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #169326 19th Sep 2012 6:14pm
Landlord

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Td5 HT Cairns Blue
custom90steve wrote:

Anyone ever tried the D44 springs std height or +2 I believe they are. http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=sho...;Itemid=14

Yes have the D44 springs but +30mm on mine with OME shocks. Been on four years and can't fault them, although paint is peeling off the springs. Had them fitted to take the extra weight of roof tent and camping kit.

Might be some photos in my gallery of before and after. 2007 TD5 90 Hard Top
Post #169360 19th Sep 2012 7:42pm
Pam W

@Steve

So far so good with the springs. When we got the roof tent on and then loads of camping equipment on board it sat down a bit, but still plenty of length left for further weight. It actually sat very well, and as we'd calculated, sitting more level with the front once we had the weight in. The ride was also very smooth, both with the weight and without - although that also has a lot to do with the Koni Heavy Tracks!

At the end of the day HD lifted springs are going to be a compromise unless you carry the heavy loads full time. When we took the tent off at the weekend I did notice the ride was less smooth without the weight, but still more than acceptable, and definitely better the the standard springs and shocks I had before!

We also managed to get a bit of off-road testing in - upshot was that it was clear that my 90 now has better articulation than the other half's Challenge Motor! Only issue was with the Koni shocks extending really well, the rear springs were popping out of the top mount. Some cones will sort that out!

All in all very pleased! Hope that helps!

Pam Our blog - http://landytravels.com/

Yorkshire Off Road Club - http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net
Post #169399 19th Sep 2012 9:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>