↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Can someone see your computer content!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Can someone see your computer content!
Talking to someone last night who said that you should change your passwords quite regularly because ordinary people in the know with right equipment can see what you are doing on the computer. I thought this was only if you had a wireless set up. I know the local firm I go through to get my service can see what I am doing as I have a modem router but for anyone else to see private supposedly secure information is not great.

Can you see peoples information if they are on land lines? Shocked

I'm thinking of going to Virgin for a package....

Last edited by Zagato on 17th Jun 2012 12:21pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #150687 17th Jun 2012 10:00am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
not so much items on your hard disc [unless you are wireless .... but items outside [e.g E-mail, Msn, internet explorer, any domain hosts etc] then yes, only need your e mail addy and password, and they can log straight in. Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #150688 17th Jun 2012 10:07am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Shocked
Post #150689 17th Jun 2012 10:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
yer i went onto one of my email addresses which i havnt used in a while, it had been blocked Shocked after going through all security info i had a outbox of 2000 and something messages pending and a sent box of 15k Shocked Shocked i was supposedly giving away free phones Shocked
Post #150690 17th Jun 2012 10:16am
Surrey Rover

I wouldn't worry too much.

Shred your hard copy mail, be as secure as you can online, keep your PC protected from virus attack as best you can and that's about all you can do. If someone desperately wanted to see what I was up to they could by hacking my ISP.

Thankfully I don't have any government secrets or know about any secret mission's, so if they want to hack me and find out that I'm into Defenders, skydiving, fishing and logging they are welcome to waste their time doing so. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #150695 17th Jun 2012 10:53am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
ISP's can certainly see what websites you've been to. As for seeing what information you are sending from your Pc to a website/search engine etc they would need to start to monitor what packets are going over the network, finding these is possible but hardy worth the effort if they are just being nosey.

Websites that start with HTTPS://www.xxx.xxx are secure and send information that is encrypted between your PC and the webserver i.e banks/special interest websites/etc whereas websites that start with HTTP://www.xxx.xxx send the data in clear text which is much easier to capture and view assuming you know the source and destination IP addresses.

In short I wouldn't worry if the ISP/Police/CIA/M16 etc want to see what hardcore detailing sites you've been to they will find a way.

If you think you have been compromised then certainly change some passwords for the sites you use.
I fell foul of a spoof link on Twitter and realised my mistake when a friend asked why I was tweeting about diet and pills. A quick change of passwords and a complete scan of my laptop and i was ok (Spyware check using Malwarebytes/Spy Bot Search and Destroy/AV scan) 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #150699 17th Jun 2012 11:07am
affiliate13

2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Sumatra Black
It is important to change passwords regularly, it is a PITA but given just how many breaches there have been lately from so many major sites it is worth doing.
I read a white paper (cant find it now) recently on the advantages of using a phrase rather than short password with 0s instead of Os etc.
Five or more words in a sentence with punctuation alpha numerical eg: "Series 1, Birmingham Solihull 1948!"
Easy for you to remember hard for brute force attack to uncover quickly. But again must be changed often.
It was also recommended not to use standard dictionary words, but how anyone is supposed to remember them at that point i have no idea, they would need to be stored somewhere and again that would need another password to secure all the eggs in one basket (pretty sure there is an old adage about eggs and baskets)
http://strongpasswordgenerator.com/ There are things like this too.

As for OTA hacking via wireless, both WEP and WPA encrypted connections can often be hacked with a live CD/Backtrack/Reaver. It is a bit of time to do it but for that reason it is sensible to keep data on your network as secure as possible like bank info etc, you can use TrueCrypt or similar to wrap a USB stick with data on it you dont want scum stealing.

Its all a Censored really, we give this info out to companies all the time and then they get hacked.
You can go mental thinking of ways to secure your data but its like securing your vehicle how much will guarantee security? If they want it they will get it, it all depends on how badly they want it and how skilled they are.

This is a useful starting point, assuming like me you have nothing better to do on a Sunday:
http://go.eset.com/us/resources/white-pape...090814.pdf
Post #150711 17th Jun 2012 11:44am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the feedback, it's a bit disconcerting to know that apparently your neighbour for instance can see what you are doing on your computer if they have the know how Shocked

If your reading this neighbour - bog off! Laughing
Post #150713 17th Jun 2012 12:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Most annoying thing I find is site that require you to login to purchase that you will likely only use once. And also things won't let you close accounts some will some won't. Very annoying Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #150714 17th Jun 2012 12:29pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Zagato wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, it's a bit disconcerting to know that apparently your neighbour for instance can see what you are doing on your computer if they have the know how Shocked

Or strip to your undies and come join in ............. Wink

Rolling with laughter Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #150725 17th Jun 2012 2:38pm
roamingman

Scotland 
affiliate13 wrote:
It is important to change passwords regularly, it is a PITA but given just how many breaches there have been lately from so many major sites it is worth doing.
I read a white paper (cant find it now) recently on the advantages of using a phrase rather than short password with 0s instead of Os etc.
Five or more words in a sentence with punctuation alpha numerical eg: "Series 1, Birmingham Solihull 1948!"
Easy for you to remember hard for brute force attack to uncover quickly. But again must be changed often.
It was also recommended not to use standard dictionary words, but how anyone is supposed to remember them at that point i have no idea, they would need to be stored somewhere and again that would need another password to secure all the eggs in one basket (pretty sure there is an old adage about eggs and baskets)
http://strongpasswordgenerator.com/ There are things like this too.

As for OTA hacking via wireless, both WEP and WPA encrypted connections can often be hacked with a live CD/Backtrack/Reaver. It is a bit of time to do it but for that reason it is sensible to keep data on your network as secure as possible like bank info etc, you can use TrueCrypt or similar to wrap a USB stick with data on it you dont want scum stealing.

Its all a Censored really, we give this info out to companies all the time and then they get hacked.
You can go mental thinking of ways to secure your data but its like securing your vehicle how much will guarantee security? If they want it they will get it, it all depends on how badly they want it and how skilled they are.

This is a useful starting point, assuming like me you have nothing better to do on a Sunday:
http://go.eset.com/us/resources/white-pape...090814.pdf

I see that you have given two web adrress without the S after the http, as mentioned in the post before yours. Live Life Ti'l You Die
Teddys are out thier

http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com
http://130sasha.co.uk/
Post #150728 17th Jun 2012 2:50pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Dave-H wrote:
Zagato wrote:

Or strip to your undies and come join in ............. Wink

Rolling with laughter

Rolling with laughter My neighbour is a boss eyed 20 stone lump, would prefer a couple of blondes, BUT he is a lovely guy spent yesterday next door at his Le-Mans party - thumping head today Big Cry He recently finished a 5 year contract with Aston Martin designing their engine management systems - really knows his stuff.
Post #150730 17th Jun 2012 3:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1