↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Defender with rooftent - Is it a campervan or a tent?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TopQ1967

Netherlands 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Buckingham Blue
Defender with rooftent - Is it a campervan or a tent?
Hi

Planning my trip for the summer holiday.

How is the Defender (Mine is an 130 with Trojan back with two Howling Moon tents) with rooftoptent seen by a camping?

If it is a campervan it gives us a lot of options on our route to our final destination, but I don't like to get stowed on a camper parking for 10 day's.

Cheers

Q.
Post #148747 5th Jun 2012 4:25pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Not sure, perhaps you could ring the campsite and reserve a pitch suitable for a motorhome. As long as your paying them for the pitch then the campsite shouldnt mind what your vehicle is.
Post #149030 7th Jun 2012 2:30pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
See what you mean Q. I would push for a tent as it cheaper. It is a tent just not on the ground Wink You shouldn't be charged for hard standing, electrics, waste drainage etc if it's a tent Thumbs Up
Post #149034 7th Jun 2012 2:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
When I toured Europe with a rooftent, it was really variable what we got charged. Some places charged us as a motorhome and some as a tent. We did have an electric hook-up, but a lot of places have this even for tents so you often just pay for it separately.

Just to confuse things, some other places treated us as if we were a tent but also charged for the car.

In general, the more organised northern European campsites will give you a motorhome pitch and charge you accordingly; the 'free-for-all' type typical in Italy will probably only charge you for a tent (if they remember at all) Thumbs Up
Post #149035 7th Jun 2012 2:41pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Agree with all above.

It all depends on the site, but I rarely go where I am told, I prefer the "can you tell what vacant places you have, so I can have a look and take my pick" approach. Although I tend to prefer tent sections as more to watch, less to pay, less tv's, dogs, cats etc.

Another useful thing that I do is have picture of setup, as is not always easy to explain that you sleep on top of a vehicle, in foreign language.

Andy
Post #149063 7th Jun 2012 7:10pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
With the (hopefully) imminent arrival of my roof tent in July I'm thinking of joining the Caravan and Camping Club (already Caravan Club member for the last year, but not used it!).

So I decided to ask the question direct as to what my roof tent would be classed as for C&CC pitches. I'm assuming the answer applies to C&CC's own sites, rather than C&CC CLs (as presumably, with those the owner can decide prices)

Here is the response.

Quote:
Good afternoon

Thank you for your email.

The Club's membership subscription and pitch pricing does not
differentiate between unit types. Every standard membership is the same
price and every pitch is the same price no matter what unit you are
staying in.

Without seeing your specific roof tent I cannot pass judgement on
classification but I would hazard a guess at just tent.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to get back
in touch.

Kind regards

Fraser
Post #149097 7th Jun 2012 9:57pm
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Without knowing the camp site you may be going to, I tend to say motorhome. I've used camp sites in the past where cars are not allowed to be parked next to the tents - which is far from ideal when you sleep on the roof! Also found that prices are quite close anyway - just don't chose hook-ups etc. etc.

Because I live 'out of the car' - sleep on the roof, cook on the back door, it's more a camper than a tent anyway.

Tony
Post #149170 8th Jun 2012 1:31pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
I always go as a camper van for the same reasons. We're going camping this weekend and most cars are kept separate from the tents except if you're a camper van. Also the camper van pitch may be bigger than a tent pitch - although may not have grass - e.g. Shingle or stones for chairs
Post #151890 25th Jun 2012 7:49pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
A lot sites just charge per pitch and 2 adults depending on the pitch size and location on site. Thumbs Up
Post #151931 25th Jun 2012 10:53pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
I don't like pitches with gravel / hardstandings - I like to step out of the caravan into the awning with nice soft grass underfoot!

When I get the roof tent on I don't want to risk damage to the annexe groundsheet on gravel so again will avoid places where they make us go on hardstandings. Never had a problem camping next to the Land Rover when we've been tenting on Laning trips etc, so hopefully should find plenty of sites that let us pitch on the normal camping pitches.
Post #151941 25th Jun 2012 11:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1