↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > What Coolbox ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
v40mav

Scotland 
What Coolbox ?
okay - not sure if this is best area for this -

Last week I was away for a couple of trips and yes the sun was out and it was very hot - I decided not to put the Engel into the back as we were staying in a chalet with full facilities - so the small 12v coolbox was taken instead - big mistake -

The coolbox was pretty ineffective and appears to now be defunct - the fan has given up -

So i'm looking for a recommendations / views on small coolboxes - Under 20l

I've been looking on E--Y and see lots of Waeco Tropicool boxes - Anyone use these - ? Defender 110 County SW

Disco 3 HSE

Freelander 2 HSE - SOLD going back to a car

www.lothian4x4response.org
Post #148498 4th Jun 2012 6:29am
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Quick cheap solution......Aldi or Lidl are doing one or try Go-Outdoors but bear in mind this is a cheap solution. I sometimes use one I picked up from Go-Outdoors a few years ago trouble is that it's 12v only whereas many now are dual voltage. At the end of the day they are just cool boxes that stay cool a little bit longer.
Post #148530 4th Jun 2012 10:56am
Lorryman100

Give Duncans in Wishaw or Knowepark caravans a call and see if they have any Dometic fridges on offer. I got one from Duncans a couple of years ago for £100, which became the beer fridge when touring. They run off 230v, 12v and gas. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

It fits in perfectly behind the passenger seat and the 12v cable is long enough to reach the sockets in the safe.

Click image to enlarge

This one is temp controlled so it can keep things from cool to frozen. Thumbs Up

HTH Brian.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #148534 4th Jun 2012 11:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Surrey Rover

For a non powered indestructible cool box then Yeti is the way forward. Excellent insulation and a perfect weekender. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #148537 4th Jun 2012 11:31am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
£100 for a cool box!!!........... Best thin gwould be to keep it real.

You have an Engel so obviously just want a cheapish cool box to keep things cool during the day. Any reasonable box will do this. I paid £35 for a 22l...... The trick is to fill it correctly. Out here I waterproof everything going into the box. I then put a thin layer of ice cubes along the base, then put everything in it, followed by ice cubes over the top. It will take approx 12-24hrs for the ice to melt in this climate (currently averaging 24-26 degC)..... other option is ice packs... but they cost anything from £10-15 each out here so too expensive to justify when Ice is free

Ice boxes with 12v fans on are a complete waste of money as all you are doing is moving air around the box. It is a gimmick.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #148544 4th Jun 2012 12:08pm
Lorryman100

Glynparry25 wrote:

£100 for a £249 fridge/freezer/coolbox that can run on 230v, 12v or gas or nothing at all with freezerblocks is not keeping it real? Shocked
Post #148545 4th Jun 2012 12:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Lorryman100 wrote:
Glynparry25 wrote:

£100 for a £249 fridge/freezer/coolbox that can run on 230v, 12v or gas or nothing at all with freezerblocks is not keeping it real? Shocked

Bri, I mean it within the context of the thread. I don't think it is if you already own an Engel.... might as well just use that.

If you want an Engel/ ARB/ waeco etc, but can't afford it, then that would be perfect.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #148549 4th Jun 2012 12:27pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
I have a small trpicool from Waeco that I bought in Germany about 15 years ago. Still working well and does the job adequately although in temps of 30 plus it struggles. At least the butter doesn't melt! BUT, it does use huge amounts of power compared to a compressor fridge so twin battery and constant charging is needed if you are not travelling.
Post #148555 4th Jun 2012 12:46pm
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
As the OP was staying in a chalet with facilities I'm basing my suggestion on that - ie. cool box required for just day trips.

When camping for a couple of nights, even in summer, we get by with a small cool bag (personal lunch box type size) with 3-4 small freezer blocks in it. Put in there the things that NEED to be cold - anything with meat / fish, milk, etc. Put everything in straight from the fridge so it is already cold.

Put that small bag inside another cool bag - this time a family picnic size one. Surround the small bag with drinks bottles, etc, and throw in a couple more small freezer blocks.

Place in vehicle in a spot likely to stay out of the sun - or throw a coat or blanket over it for added insulation and shade.
We've had milk stay icy cold and fresh like that for 3 days, in average summer temps.

Cheap and easy solution. Works for us.

Probably helps having tints on the back windows of the 90 - doesn't get anything like as hot as it used to.

PS. How now got ARB Fridge, but not yet installed and no good if going in the 100" as won't fit in!
Post #148577 4th Jun 2012 3:03pm
SGH

United Kingdom 
Re: What Coolbox ?
v40mav wrote:
okay - not sure if this is best area for this -

Last week I was away for a couple of trips and yes the sun was out and it was very hot - I decided not to put the Engel into the back as we were staying in a chalet with full facilities - so the small 12v coolbox was taken instead - big mistake -

The coolbox was pretty ineffective and appears to now be defunct - the fan has given up -

So i'm looking for a recommendations / views on small coolboxes - Under 20l

I've been looking on E--Y and see lots of Waeco Tropicool boxes - Anyone use these - ?

Save your money and just use your Engel Thumbs Up 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #148584 4th Jun 2012 4:12pm
v40mav

Scotland 
Guys - thanks for all the replies -

You are correct in that we were only out for day trips but keeping drinks cold and lunch chilled and fresh is important -

We were originally down providing support at the Oxfam Trail Trekker and space was a premium at times - hence why I left the Engel at home -

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have used too many of the cheap 12v boxes that just do not work - so want something small ish that keeps the drinks cold -

Brian - worth giving them a call - see what they have - ? What model is that one -?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Defender 110 County SW

Disco 3 HSE

Freelander 2 HSE - SOLD going back to a car

www.lothian4x4response.org
Post #148621 4th Jun 2012 9:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1