↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Rear Spring Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Rear Spring Replacement
I was keen to do this job, but I was daunted by starting it! So I thought I would write-up my findings to help others.

My Defender is a 110 USW, and (for my needs) the rear end is too stiff. Ride is OK when fully loaded, but for the vast majority of the time I don't carry that much gear (kayaks, mountain bikes etc). SWMBO complains about the "choppy ride"... Rolling Eyes

Thanks to MountainMan Thumbs Up for this information on USW and CSW springs for 110:

Quote:
USW is fitted with purple/brown progressive springs. CSW is fitted with white/green/green springs - which my mate, who has had both, reports are a far better ride on the utility wagon

CSW 110 7 Seat RKB500300 White/green/green 422.96mm

USW 110 Utility RKB101111 Purple/Brown 409.96mm

The info from LR is not clear but if you are on brown/purples then some white/green/greens may improve the ride. If you asre already on W/G/G then options are probably aftermarket only or earlier springs which won't be progressive.

So I bought some RKB500300 springs from Dan @ Duckworth Parts (Defender2.NET sponsor of course), and they duly arrived as promised 2 days later Thumbs Up

The most daunting piece was jacking the rear of the Defender, and then supporting the chassis on axle stands. However it all went quite well.

1. Slightly loosen the rear wheel nuts.

2. I used a trolley jack (under the rear diff) to jack-up the rear till both rear wheels were just off the ground, and then positioned the axle stands on the chassis (with a wooden block for protection) at the lower of the chassis where the rear towing bracket bolts are (just behind the rear anti-roll bar mount). Remove rear wheels before lowering the vehicle onto axle stands.

3. With the rear wheels off, I lowered the vehicle so the chassis (only slightly - the axle stands were touching before I removed the jack from the diff) was supported by the axle stands (leaving the jack as well for additional security).

This allows the axle to "hang" on the shock absorbers, with the weight off it.

4. Starting with the passenger side, I used the vehicles own bottle jack to support the axle so that I could remove the upper shock absorber mounting (17mm I believe).

5. With the shock removed, I removed the 2 nuts/bolts on the lower spring seat:

This picture shows the upper shock absorber mounting removed, and a spanner on the bolt on the lower spring seat:

Click image to enlarge

This picture shows the loosening of the lower spring seat:

Click image to enlarge

Note that the bolt (upper) is 13mm, and the nut underneath is 15mm...

6. Once the lower spring mounting is removed, you should feel the spring is a little bit loose in it's housing, but no way you can get it out yet.

Other than getting the chassis mounted on axle stands, the next bit is the tricky bit.

7. Using spring compressors, compress the spring by about 2 inches so it can be removed.

TIP: Use the standard bottle jack to raise the other side of the axle slightly, it has the effect of "rocking" the side you are working on so the axle is slightly lower by a few mm - makes it a LOT easier (I found out the hard way, when I was doing the 2nd spring Embarassed ).

Spring Compressor - borrowed image:

My spring compressor was about £20 delivered off ebay - I bought "US PRO" ones, 370mm

8. After that you can wiggle the spring out of position.

Here's mine (new & old) side-by-side:

Click image to enlarge

Whilst apart, I cleaned all the components, and applied a bit more dinitrol to parts I hadn't reached when I treated the chassis last year (such as inside the upper shock housing).

9. Remove the spring compressor from the spring you have just taken off, and put the spring compressor onto the new spring. Tighten the spring compressor to shorten the spring so you can get it seated back to the vehicle.

10. Seat the new spring in the vehicle and remove the spring compressor (if you jacked the opposite side of the axle slightly, the spring will be easy to rotate and position into it's proper position by hand).

11. Re-install the spring lower mounting, and fasten the retainer plate with the 2 nuts & bolts. NOTE: There were 2 washers on each bolt, and they both fitted between the retainer and the lower mounting (i.e. some sort of packing).

Torque for spring retainer plate = 45 Nm

12. Use the bottle jack again on the side you are working to level-up the axle so that you can refit the top mounting of the shock absorber.

Torque for upper shock absorber mounting = 75 Nm
Lower mounting (to axle) 38Nm

Double-check everything.

13. Put the wheels back on (I had to raise my trolley jack under the diff slightly to get the wheels on, because the axle sat slightly lower that would allow the wheel to line-up). Wheel nuts slightly tightened at this point.

14. Remove Axle stands, lower vehicle.

Alloy Wheel Torque is 130 Nm.

Finished Very Happy

It took 3 hours from start to finish. Like all these things if I did it again it would be much quicker (the 2nd spring was much quicker than the first!).

Has it worked? I don't know yet. I'll report back when I've done a few miles. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 10th Sep 2016 12:07pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #147680 30th May 2012 1:07pm
Lukey Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Wow. Excellent write up, Martin Bow down I might think about this in the future. My wife complains of a bouncy ride and i don't carry heavy loads that often. Could I be cheaky and as you how much the springs were? 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #147709 30th May 2012 2:57pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
Excellent write up Thumbs Up - but you can do this without the need of spring compressors if you want, there is enough room if you use a prybar (and maybe a bottle jack between axle and chassis) to get the springs in / out ....

Last edited by Go Beyond on 30th May 2012 3:04pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #147710 30th May 2012 3:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinK

Lukey Boy wrote:
Wow. Excellent write up, Martin Bow down I might think about this in the future. My wife complains of a bouncy ride and i don't carry heavy loads that often. Could I be cheaky and as you how much the springs were?

Springs are RRP £63 (ish) each for genuine Land Rover. But you had better check yours - they should already be CSW springs in which case you'll need something else, I know szracer on the Forum had some from Extreme 4x4 which are softer than CSW ones...

Pattern Parts (i.e. Britpart etc) are available for around £43 (each) on the web (try googling the part numbers given above).

Dan at Duckworths gave me a Forum Discount (give him a PM or call) on genuine parts. I wanted LR Original because my Defender is still in Warranty (and I don't want any modifications to be obvious to a dealer in case they try & wiggle out of a warranty claim in the next 2 years Whistle ). If I was out of warranty, I would have bought pattern parts (or Bearmach or Terrafirma or something)... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)

Last edited by MartinK on 30th May 2012 3:22pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #147711 30th May 2012 3:03pm
MartinK

Go Beyond wrote:
Excellent write up Thumbs Up - but you can do this without the need of spring compressors if you want, there is enough room if you use a prybar (and maybe a bottle jack between axle and chassis) to get the springs in / out ....

When researching the job, I found a youtube video of someone doing this in a "remote place" - he basically jumped up and down on the hub/axle (with shock disconnected, and on a high-lift jack IIRC) whilst his mate wrestled with the spring - they did manage it. ...but I'm a bit more risk averse Confused The spring compressor did make the job fairly easy... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #147712 30th May 2012 3:08pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
MartinK wrote:
Go Beyond wrote:

When researching the job, I found a youtube video of someone doing this in a "remote place" - he basically jumped up and down on the hub/axle (with shock disconnected, and on a high-lift jack IIRC) whilst his mate wrestled with the spring - they did manage it. ...but I'm a bit more risk averse Confused The spring compressor did make the job fairly easy...

It's definately easier with the right tools Thumbs Up

Although it's amazing how easy it is for a spring to 'fall out' whilst offroading when you don't want it to !!!
Post #147713 30th May 2012 3:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lukey Boy

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
MartinK wrote:
Lukey Boy wrote:
Wow. Excellent write up, Martin Bow down I might think about this in the future. My wife complains of a bouncy ride and i don't carry heavy loads that often. Could I be cheaky and as you how much the springs were?

Springs are RRP £63 (ish) each for genuine Land Rover. But you had better check yours - they should already be CSW springs in which case you'll need something else, I know szracer on the Forum had some from Extreme 4x4 which are softer than CSW ones...

Pattern Parts (i.e. Britpart etc) are available for around £43 (each) on the web (try googling the part numbers given above).

Dan at Duckworths gave me a Forum Discount (give him a PM or call) on genuine parts. I wanted LR Original because my Defender is still in Warranty (and I don't want any modifications to be obvious to a dealer in case they try & wiggle out of a warranty claim in the next 2 years Whistle ). If I was out of warranty, I would have bought pattern parts (or Bearmach or Terrafirma or something)...

Thanks for the advise Martin, Thumbs Up 2008 110 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Post #147756 30th May 2012 6:23pm
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
As said, with a bit of knowledge you can easily remove springs without compressors.
I've always managed to just step on the hub and push axle down far enough to simply pull spring out, both front and rear ... and i've done many a set Smile Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #147776 30th May 2012 8:31pm
DMAKX

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
Martin, great write up. I'm with you, much easier to have the right tools for the job Thumbs Up

Would love to know if you think its been worthwhile once you've had a chance to test it out properly. Whilst the USW is a great improvement in ride comfort over my last 90, I do find it a bit choppy, especially when getting low on fuel. I don't normally carry much weight in the back but do find that adding a trailer just makes it that much smoother.

DMAKX
Post #147931 31st May 2012 3:16pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Stickied as requested Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #147932 31st May 2012 3:17pm
ARMYBOB

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
we did mine yesterday, the springs did not need compressing, to get off, just undid the retainers, jacked the body up (used a high lift carfefully) it gave just enough to wriggle the spring out and put the new one in
Post #148454 3rd Jun 2012 6:52pm
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
hi,
thanks for comments, interesting

unfortunally, I have also the purple/brown spring

one question before I change them, if I take of the anti roll bare, would it be not better ?

(I am driving land for more than 35 years and never had anti roll bar )

thanks for the answer
Philippe
def 110 SW 5 places and 3000 km current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #160485 7th Aug 2012 12:58pm
Litch

England 
As stated earlier, spring compressors really aren't required unless working of seriously extended springs.
The way I have always done it has been foolproof and simple.

Jack up vehicle and support the chassis on axle stands.
Remove both wheels from the axle being worked on.
Remove shock at one end (or completely if shock is being replaced at the same time).
Lower the axle on the jack always keeping an eye on the brake-lines.
When the axle has dropped the spring can be manouvered out fully extended.
Fitting the new spring is the reverse proceedure.
Do the same at the other end of the axle.

Worst case scenario is that the bushes will prevent the axle dropping far enough if longer springs have been or are being fitted. To overcome that just push down on the axle while the spring is being unseated and manouvered out of position.

I don't have anti-roll bars fitted so I guess they may need to be released first to allow full axle movement? ONE LIFE, GET IT!
Post #218913 14th Mar 2013 9:44am
Tarrel

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
So, all things considered, did it improve the ride-comfort? I have a Utility Wagon which i normally drive quite lightly laden. The hard ride is driving me up the wall! 2012 Defender Utility Wagon
1981 SIII 88 inch SW
Follow our blog: www.newlifeinnorthernscotland.blogspot.co.uk
Post #241853 7th Jun 2013 11:04pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
@tarrel
from my own experience driving mainly with light loads:
1. I use standard [not HD] LR road springs
2. Koni shocks
3. run front at 28psi and rear at 35 for my 90 as 38 was too hard

sum of the above gives me a good ride.

I also have a stiffer rear ARB to aid with reducing roll. BM52