↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Wheel and tyre help please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WelshDefender

Wales 
Wheel and tyre help please
I know loads of wheel and tyre threads get started but I have done a search and can not find out the info I am looking for. Currently I have 265-75/16 AT's fitted to aftermarket alloys (not sure what they are as they were fitted when I bought my landy).
I have had a look at the back of the alloys and it states that they are 16x7 with an ET of 31 (whatever that means!!)

What I want to know is if I can fit 285-75/16 tyres onto these rims or are they too narrow/wrong offset??

Cheers

Adam
Post #147666 30th May 2012 11:15am
ken

United Kingdom 
Yes you can but no you Should not is the answer

Reason plenty have fitted 285's to a 7J rim but you should be aware is the fact in the eyes of most 7J is to narrow and quite a few tyre places will not fit a 285 to a 7J rim
Post #147667 30th May 2012 11:20am
WelshDefender

Wales 
What potential issues could this cause (sorry for the noob questions!!)
Post #147668 30th May 2012 11:24am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
I think it varies between different manufactures but for an example if you go to BFG.com (not uk) site they say the narrowest wheel that 285’s can be fitted to is 7.5inch. As it has been said there are plenty of folk here who run 285’s on 7 inch rim and it really comes down to an individual choice. For my part if something was to go wrong it will always happen to me so I use 8.5 inch wheels to be on the safe side.
Post #147670 30th May 2012 11:33am
Projectblue

England 
WelshDefender wrote:
What potential issues could this cause (sorry for the noob questions!!)

16x7 means 16" diameter and 7" width. This means a 285/75 would be a tight squeeze on the 7J rim and the bead may burst off in excessive circumstances such as heavy load & compression over rocks/ off tarmac.

I'd have no issues with a 285/75 on a 7.5J rim, but I think 7J might be pushing, especially if you do off road or run with a load. My thought would be get some gen LR 7.5J alloys and sell your aftermarket ones.
Post #147678 30th May 2012 12:57pm
Go Beyond

United Kingdom 
'ET' is the offset - below is from a Google search:

Offset
Alloy Wheel Offset (ET) Explained:
This is important if you are thinking of purchasing aftermarket alloy wheels. The offset is the distance in mm between the centre line of the wheel rim, and the line through the fixing (hub) face. You can have positive (+), negative (-) or neither (0). The first important reason offset is so important is that it is ultimately responsible for the position of the wheel under the wheel arch. Get it wrong and your wheels can scrub against the bodywork, suspension or at worst not turn at all! Secondly it determines how the suspension and self-centering steering behave. The most obvious problem that will occur if you get it wrong is that the steering will either become so heavy that you can't turn the steering wheel, or so light that you need to spend all your time keeping it in a straight line.

Example:
A Citroen Saxo and a Ford Fiesta have the same stud pattern, so in theory a Fiesta wheel will fit a Saxo wheel and vice versa right? Wrong. Although both cars have a positive offset the Saxo’s is very low at around ET15 and the Fiesta’s is higher at around ET38. This means that the hub mounting face on the Saxo’s wheel is closer to the centerline of the wheel and the Fiesta’s is closer to the outside of the wheel (roadside).
In a nutshell you need an offset as close to the vehicles original wheel offset as possible.
Post #147698 30th May 2012 1:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WelshDefender

Wales 
Thanks all. Will either stick with 265's or get a set of modulars instead. Not keen on alloys anyway as I do a lot of greenlaning and they are getting a bit scratched up, but thought I could save some cash if I kept them.

Will get some mods and sell the alloys

Cheers

Adam
Post #147730 30th May 2012 4:29pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
I've run 295 and 305 on 7 inch rims with no problems and used them on road off road no issues whatsoever ever Thumbs Up

Steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #147732 30th May 2012 4:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1