↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Caravan Spare Wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Caravan Spare Wheel
Deceided to check the spare wheel on my 2004 caravan today, after releasing it from the carrier underneath, I found it was the original tyre from manufacture. The manufacturing date is shown in the photo below, shown as 0404 (4th week of 2004)..

Click image to enlarge

They tyre tread is obviously still perfect, but the alko wheel carrier has put some indentations on the tyre wall, one of them is shown here..

Click image to enlarge

Its suggested that caravan tyres should be changed before they reach 7yrs old, so along with the two fitted to my van, they will all need changing Big Cry. Quite an expensive affair!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by WarPig on 9th May 2012 1:24pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #143652 6th May 2012 7:24pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Just a bit of a tip for these carriers, i tried to remove my dads a few weeks ago and it was stuck solid.
The galv on the tubes which slide in and out had corroded up and was solid, solid to the point that we had to remove all the split pins on the other side to remove.

So get it off the caravan and grease the sliders to stop this happening, we used copper slip, now slides in and out fine.
Post #144106 9th May 2012 12:13pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Many go to Kwik Fit or similar and put car tyres on Rolling Eyes Make sure you get properly load rated tyres e.g van type tyres. Have to say if the tyres look in OK condition I personally wouldn't be rushing out to buy new ones Thumbs Up
Post #144173 9th May 2012 5:28pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kingofthesparks

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
If its a spare why change it Shocked
Post #144174 9th May 2012 5:33pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Because caravans only have occasional use, moisture that penetrates the rubber is not evapourated by heat generated whilst on the move. This can cause sidewall delamination.
Change tyres every four to five years is the recommendation.
We run commercial vehicle grade tyres on our one and a quarter tonne single axle Carlight.
Run flat tyres or tyron bands can save a lot of damage should the tyres disintegrate on the move.
http://www.tyron.com/ 

Last edited by Laurie on 9th May 2012 5:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #144178 9th May 2012 5:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
A friend of mine had two punctures on their 'van within about 50 miles after skimping by using old tyres. It's a false economy, let alone potentially dangerous, to not change them. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #144181 9th May 2012 5:46pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
The reason I discovered the spare wheel carrier would not come apart was because one of the tyres had decided to pop. I dident know it had happened until i saw my dads face as i pulled up with his caravan on one wheel after the convoy for heros weekend (its a single axle too), so we stripped both tyres off and fitted new, cost £120 for two yokahama tyres and you put 50psi in them!

My dad had one go and rip the shower tray out of the bath room, and he is anal about checking them.

He now puts some stuff in each tyre which seals them if he gets a flat, must have worked a bit as the wheel was ok when it went on me.
Post #144213 9th May 2012 7:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1