↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > I know there's a lot of Dog lovers on here...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I know there's a lot of Dog lovers on here...
This has sickened me...

http://www.snh.gov.uk/news-and-events/pres...ls/?id=698

Quote:
A capercaillie which became an unwitting star due to its unusual behaviour has been found dead on a popular Highland estate.
Within the past few days it has been killed by a dog.
Capercaillie is on the red list of Birds of Conservation Concern due to the long-term decline in its UK breeding range and is a priority species in the UK Biodiversity Action Plan.
"We asked last year that visitors keep to the paths and heed local signs and guidance, and this incident makes this advice all the more important this year.
"This irresponsible behaviour does not just affect capercaillie, every year roe deer calves and other wildlife are disturbed or injured by dogs.

I was riding my bike around this area a few days before, and counted 8 dogs...only 1 was on a lead, 7 were charging all over the undergrowth. Signs were everywhere, no-one could miss them... One area even asks for no access at all from dawn until 0800 to allow the rare birds to proceed as nature intended.

I did raise this with one dog-walker, a discussion which quickly became heated (he admitted seeing the signs, but claimed "my dog need excersize too")... Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #143173 3rd May 2012 1:09pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Plenty of irresponsible dog owners about.
Post #143179 3rd May 2012 1:35pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
markalpha wrote:
Plenty of irresponsible dog owners about.

Yes like the idiots who allow their dogs to foul around our gate and on our drive!

Yes dogs do need exercise but in the appropriate place!

Not a go at RESPONSIBLE dog owners.

Like a lot of things it is just a matter of showing respect to other people and animals, which can be sadly lacking.

Brendan
Post #143191 3rd May 2012 2:59pm
Projectblue

England 
Like all humans, there are responsible dog owners and selfish idiots who think stuff doesn't apply to them.

Where I live there is an SSI with a bit of a car park. Lately people have been leaving their collected dog poo in the little bags in a pile at the base of a tree in the car park because they don't want to put it in their own cars. So some magic tree fairies are going to come along and clean it all up? No, someone from our village like me comes and shifts it cos we are all fed up looking at it.

I am a dog owner, but I take responsibility for mine (apart from the time she stole a ball off a kid on the beach and then ran over to someone else, jumped on the castle mum & toddler were making and then wee'd on it in front of them - at that point I became an outraged anti dog person looking for the suddenly mysteriously absent owner Whistle - in my defence, they were all in the dog friendly part of the beach!)
Post #143210 3rd May 2012 5:03pm
The Musketeer

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 Other HT Cairns Blue
Dogs worrying stock or wildlife should be shot, and are in some places. Simple. I love dogs as much as anyone, but the amount of damage done by them is shocking. Probably the worst thing about CROW. Good things come to the wild and free
Post #143225 3rd May 2012 7:13pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Funnily enough we had a similar discussion at lunch today during the course I was on, too many dog owners just let their dogs run riot through woods and farmland, then wonder why there's no wildlife about. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #143226 3rd May 2012 7:14pm
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
First job at Rugby Club on a Sunday morning, pick up dog poo before the kids rock up!!!!. That's after I have picked up after 13 dogs at home.
Post #143227 3rd May 2012 7:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1