↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > Safety Devices Roll Cages - Customer Feedback
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Romadog

Safety Devices Roll Cages - Customer Feedback
Thought this would be of interest to all

http://www.safetydevices.com/expedition/ne...from+Chile'27s+Patagonian+Carretera+Austral/
Post #143039 2nd May 2012 6:12pm
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Yep, moral of the story being if you have an SD cage check how the front hoop is mounted, particularly on the LHS...

Looks to me as if the front left chassis mount has failed, be interesting to see why, can't see the bottom of the bulkhead from the pics to see if the bulkhead outrigger has moved or if it's just the cage that wasn't braced properly. I'd suspect the latter as the bulkhead looks to be straight from what you can see.
Post #143045 2nd May 2012 6:46pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The roll cage has done it's job by preventing the collapse of the roof line and giving the front passengers a chance to walk away from the accident.

The roll cage (expition bolt in type) is there to aid the occupants in the event of a rollover not necessarily to protect the vehicle itself.

On the Devon 4x4 forum they did a good piece about this as even a fully welded in cage will move to the point of being written off but still stops the full collaspe of the roof line.

Worth checking out the SD website for more images of how Defenders have faired up with a cage attached.

Mark

http://www.safetydevices.com/media/images/...+roll+cage
Post #143047 2nd May 2012 7:09pm
markb110

Just found the article

Part of a 90 build so you will have to work your way down the page, page two has the video of the accident Shocked .

Any way rather have mine than not Very Happy

Mark

http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?option=c...;Itemid=81
Post #143053 2nd May 2012 7:23pm
davew

You missed my point, the left hand side of the SD cage has dropped by a few inches well away from any point of impact. The way it's both twisted forward and dropped suggests it wasn't installed properly with the front hoop not being braced to the chassis.

The two 90s pictured on the D44 site both have braces between the front hoop and the chassis. In the case of the rolled one you'll note that the windscreen connecting bar is still square with the bulkhead after the roll as you'd expect, unlike the one on the SD site. The hoop on the SD one has collapsed at one side. Although the front hoop itself and the bracing bar appear to be in more or less "normal" shape the whole structure has collapsed downwards which is suspicious.

I suspect that the SD one isn't braced at all beneath the wing which is either a design flaw or it wasn't installed correctly. I'd be interested to know what, if anything, is underneath the wing on the SD cage.
Post #143063 2nd May 2012 8:15pm
markb110

Hi Dave

The reason is that the SD cage under the wing has a plate that marries up with the external fixing and then follows the profile of the bulk head and then bolts to a plate attached to the out rigger. The part that has bent is like a 'L' shape and hence pushed down towards the front of the external plate.

The Performance and Protection cage has a more central support under the inner plate and again then bolts to a plate attached to the outrigger.

This design would stop that frontal drop as seen on the SD cage picture but then is dependent on the nature of the accident and the integrity of the outrigger.

Mark
Post #143074 2nd May 2012 9:01pm
davew

That would certainly explain the way it bent, it makes sense now. I assumed they would all use a design similar to the P&P ones.
Post #143103 2nd May 2012 10:46pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Did it's job very very well.

I think if you flipped over 3 tons at 50km/h and smashed the front corner of any cage onto rocks it will deform in some way... either chassis, upright or cage.

In that accident and the way the cage has impacted on the LH side, there would be a chance that the P&P cage could have failed as the impact point would be just about 6 inches from where they do their hoop weld where the SD is one piece.

Also see:

http://interface.envirosend.co.uk/t/r-l-dhiiyhd-cgjdpjd-k/

http://interface.envirosend.co.uk/t/r-l-dhiiyhd-cgjdpjd-b/

It is just the nature of the beast. Good to see the guy walked away and feels the cage has earnt it's keep...... Mkes me VERY happy that I have one!!

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #143118 3rd May 2012 5:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1