↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Van driver who rammed horse gets jail sentence
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
On the other hand, there's a couple of horses ridden in the village I live in, by two of the most arrogant stuck up pompos little bitches you'd know.

After passing them a couple of times per day, i'd soon lose patience with *another* horse rider who may well come across as arrogant.

not saying it's right to ram a horse, of course, BUT... what other experience had this chap had with the rider? or another one,
Post #139371 15th Apr 2012 3:25pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
On the other hand, if you can get rid of a nutter (e.g. by deportation), be they black, white, or any race or religion it might not be a bad idea Whistle

Now (and here I go again), if you used your vehicle as a weapon against anyone like that in Germany and deliberately sought to injure or kill them it would be very unpleasant for you indeed. "I got angry" is no defence (actually makes things worse). A three year prison sentence and lifelong driving ban for such things is not unheard of...

p.s. the fact that he actually admitted to stopping and deliberately backing onto the girl/horse clearly shows he is either evil or a nutter - neither is compatible with a driving license. Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #139372 15th Apr 2012 3:30pm
pom

I don't see a valid reason for horses to be on the road fullstop. If people want to ride them get a field or goto a bridleway. Just too much traffic these days, would have to be crazy to take a child on a horse on a road. No way I'd risk any of mine irrespective who is in the right.

Not excusing the cretin who rammed them though.

Pom
Post #139379 15th Apr 2012 4:55pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Agreed - I used to hack out on country lanes in Essex and Suffolk when I was younger (a long time ago) but I'd never do it now. On the same lanes, I'm even afraid to drive these days, the number of lunatics who come hareing round blind corners Sad Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #139412 15th Apr 2012 7:09pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
ZeDefender wrote:
Agreed - I used to hack out on country lanes in Essex and Suffolk when I was younger (a long time ago) but I'd never do it now. On the same lanes, I'm even afraid to drive these days, the number of lunatics who come hareing round blind corners Sad

I know what you mean. I'm sick and tired of reversing every five minutes. I don't mind normally but when you get a Censored that just stops and points back at you as if to say "you reverse back there now my road I'm coming through" Rolling Eyes Like today me and a L200 behind following quite happily and safely about 20mph (single track road) some idiot in an old banger of a merc pushes through by both of us with barely enough room instead of reversing and thus at the side there a was a big wooden post to protect the edge which I didn't see. Felt a little bump and carried on looked in the mirrow and the post was no more Shocked Rolling with laughter Shocked post 0 Defender 1. Damage to Defender? Absolutely nothing luckily. Still stupidity of this guy in the first place! If I would have been driving a car there would have been a LOT of damage to say the least. Another reason to have a Defender. Some peoples behaviour is just beyond me. Maybe it's drink or drugs who knows .
Post #139413 15th Apr 2012 7:18pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
pom wrote:
I don't see a valid reason for horses to be on the road fullstop. If people want to ride them get a field or goto a bridleway. Just too much traffic these days, would have to be crazy to take a child on a horse on a road. No way I'd risk any of mine irrespective who is in the right.

Not excusing the cretin who rammed them though.

Pom

Can you point me to the part of the highway code where it states that motorised vehicles have priority over and above all other legitimate road users? Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #139417 15th Apr 2012 7:28pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
pom wrote:
I don't see a valid reason for horses to be on the road fullstop. Pom

Guessing you don't ride then Pom Rolling Eyes

We have a neighbor about 1/2 a mile up the road,, He has a Prius hybrid, be damned if you can hear him when he come up behind us !!! California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #139441 15th Apr 2012 8:33pm
tatra805

Slovakia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
nails and wood

Click image to enlarge

As a long time and avid countryside horse rider/owner I would like to add my 2cents

To my opinion and experience horse riders do know their horses before venturing in the open. If not, it is plain stupidity from their side. Unexpected situations and the fled nature of a horse are always a risk, even riding indoors.
Just as driving a car has its risks.

Nevertheless, roads are for all and I don’t see the problem with the number or horses on today’s roads but I do see and notice how “loaded” people are these days. I think it doesn’t make a difference if you putt a loaded one on a horse, in a car or on a bicycle, the outcome will be the same.

Nobody will convince me that horses are a constant nuisance and force car drivers into “constantly tolerating” them. How much effort is it really?
What makes the difference with a tractor or child on a bike? How much of your precious life are you loosing when stuck behind these road Censored creatures? Missing Eastenders or that first round in the pub, is that it? Or is it the higher riding position frustrating you? Or your fear for this animal which you don’t understand nor want to know? Is it the fact that this guy riding it is wealthier than you are, as public opinion goes? Or does he look trouble free while you gave still so much things to solve? Or isn’t it just society which is less and less tolerant for… anything?

But as much as intolerance to a horse on the road is a bad thing, you wont cure it with another intolerance towards something else.

I don’t get it. Maybe we should deport everything what doesn’t fit the general profile, just hope that you will be invited to write up that profile or you might need to pack your luggage also.

Lately in Belgium dozens of spiked wood plates were found on each and every open country lane in a certain area. Intended to damage tires from 4x4 vehicles. Just imagine the consequences if a horse steps on them, or your child on a Sunday walking trip? Or the wife with her 300£ country wellies?

Intolerance and stupidity are dangerous things

As with everything in life you have the choice what you want to do. the guy making these plates out of frustration could also have, with the same nails and plates, made a playhouse for his grandchildren and have enjoyed the day, as the van driver could have decided to drive on. Take your choices, face your consequences.

:|

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by tatra805 on 15th Apr 2012 9:00pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #139444 15th Apr 2012 8:43pm
Romadog

Quote:
Can you point me to the part of the highway code where it states that motorised vehicles have priority over and above all other legitimate road users?

Well said Thumbs Up
Think who was on the roads first Whistle
As we all know with Green Lanes there are those who treat them with respect and then theres others who think its their right to drive them at any time of year at any speed. The same can be said on the roads. Some horse riders are respectful, and some arent.
I wish ALL riders would wear hi viz clothing to give drivers on main roads a little more warning. And pick a time of day to ride on a main road other than peak times.
BTW my girlfriend has a horse and wears hi viz Thumbs Up
Post #139445 15th Apr 2012 8:43pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Re: nails and wood
tatra805 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

Lately in Belgium dozens of spiked wood plates were found on each and every open country lane in a certain area. Intended to damage tires from 4x4 vehicles. Just imagine the consequences if a horse steps on them, or your child on a Sunday walking trip? Or the wife with her 300£ country wellies?

Intolerance and stupidity are dangerous things

As with everything in live you have the choice what you want to do. the guy making these plates out of frustration could also have, with the same nails and plates, made a playhouse for his grandchildren and have enjoyed the day, as the van driver could have decided to drive on. Take your choices, face your consequences.

Neutral

Nothing surprises me any more with people out there. I've seen wires and barbed wire rigged up across a Byway before with the obvious intention of mameing a motorcycle user or damaging a vehicle all of which incidentially have full legal and legitimate right to use it. There is no difference between rights of way and the public road. I followed a nice lane today which was one of the best I've ever driven not a single piece of litter or debris in sight. It's getting a rarity now. :(

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #139449 15th Apr 2012 8:52pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Although the majority of horses used on the public highway are ridden there are a fair few driven harness horses around too. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #139453 15th Apr 2012 9:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12