↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > My 300tdi Bonatti grey galv chassis rebuild
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
My 300tdi Bonatti grey galv chassis rebuild
I know this isnt a Puma but Ive followed this forum for a while, mainly to get advice and ideas for my anticipated rebuild of my 300tdi Defender. And following a request by Zagato on a different thread for some photos of my 300tdi rebuild, I thought I'd start a new thread explaining the story of my Defender.

I first decided to get a Defender after my two dogs were making a right mess of the interior of my Ford Mondeo. I had always wanted one, so the decision was an easy one. Little did I know of the path that lay before me Laughing

So here is a photo I took of my Defender just a few days before I bought it in 2005, a 10 year old South Yorkshire Police 1996 110 300tdi with 50K on the clock. Was used as a major event command vehicle and I managed to obtain a very detailed print out of all the service/repair work that it had ever had done, including things such as tyre replacements etc..

After winning it at auction for £6900 I quickly set about removing all the stuff that the police had left on, such as the siren Shocked , perspex headlight guards, police decals, bits of uniform found inside etc. Visibly it was being let down by the rusting door hinges and surface rust on the rear crossmember. But after putting on new wheels & a snorkle, my Defender spent the next few years looking mostly like this..

Click image to enlarge

My intentions from the begining were to have it resprayed, but I decided to have a new galv chassis fitted first (as you do). And I thought I may as well have a galv bulkhead also. I didnt want to have to strip it all down for a new chassis once it had been painted. So, last summer off I went to see Paul who works next door to Richards chassis in Rotherham. I suppied him with an Ashtree LR galv bulkhead, which they had pre-sprayed Bonatti grey for me.

So the rebuild starts, and off with the body (ouch Shocked )..

Click image to enlarge

The new rolling chassis complete with new genuine standard spring and dampers..

Click image to enlarge

New galv bulkhead (from a TD5 I think?)..

Decided to fit a Safari snorkle, some galv tree sliders & galv front bumper so that everything is in keeping at the same eye level around the bumper, sides & cross member, so here it is after being reassembled (the Bonatti bulkhead is just visible)..

Then I decided to get the door bottoms repaired. I cant weld myself but did consider learning the skill to save some £££. But instead I took the doors down http://www.landroversuk.co.uk/default.aspx in Bath for them to do it instead. Its funny how once youve spent a considerable amount of ££ then it doesnt always make sense to skimp on other areas (thats my excuse Laughing ).

Good job I did as they told me that the unknown material acting as a door lining was a real Censored to cut through and their guy suffered a headache for days afterwards from breathing in the dust Shocked I even planned a family holiday in Weymouth just so I would be passing LR UK Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Land Rovers UK..

Click image to enlarge

Then a few weeks ago I decided to finally get it resprayed. And so the dismantling started again Big Cry Here it is outside the spray shop..

Click image to enlarge

Also fitted a few extras such as heated front screen, heater intake snow cover, quick release Momo steering wheel new tailgate door, new rear quarter extention panels (mine had corroded), new windscreen brackets, new door handles, new door hinges with stainless torx bolts, Nakatanenga rear door strut (from Brendan Thumbs Up ) Brunell front grill & headlight surrounds, and countless other sundries that were needed. So now it looks something like this...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Stainless torx hinge bolts..

Click image to enlarge

On the security side, heres the quick release Momo steering wheel & Adrenalin pedal lock..

Click image to enlarge

And the telescopic security post I installed on my driveway..

I still have loads to do to finish it off, such as fitting the door seals, internal door cards, painting the interior etc. And Ive got a pair of RR P38 seats to fit

but I hope you all agree its quite a transformation from how it used to look..

So a big thank you for all the advice & ideas that you have all unknowingly given me over the past few years Bow down Thumbs Up[/img][/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by WarPig on 10th Mar 2012 9:34pm. Edited 25 times in total
Post #74318 5th Jun 2011 5:06pm
alanhid

Scotland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Awesome job warpig, looking great Thumbs Up Life is not a rehearsal!
Def 90td5 CSW xs 2006
Post #74319 5th Jun 2011 5:17pm
Lorryman100

Looking great warpig Cool Thumbs Up Though personally I would have left the siren in place, accidentally of course Whistle Honest officer, I didn't know it was there or what the switch was for..................... Whistle Very Happy
Post #74326 5th Jun 2011 5:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Great work Warpig your Landy will still be knocking about when we are all 6' under Thumbs Up Difficult to better a Defender for very long term ownership than one with a galv chassis/bulkhead and a TDi in it Very Happy
Post #74331 5th Jun 2011 6:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landie Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
What a loverly defender, Its nice to see one in that condition Smile I think a Land rover decal on the bonnet would look good on it.

Jack
Post #74338 5th Jun 2011 7:05pm
Maverick

Scotland 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Mate, thats something else! Wish I had the money to do that to mine, or the time! Big Cry Ben

Rebuilt 1996 black/white Defender 90 300 TDi
Post #74339 5th Jun 2011 7:09pm
WarPig

Thanks for the nice comments Very Happy Ive had to hide a lot of the costs fromthe wife Whistle And shes had to put up with having LR parts cluttering the house over the last year or so.

Landie Boy wrote:
What a loverly defender, Its nice to see one in that condition Smile I think a Land rover decal on the bonnet would look good on it.Jack

Ive got the decals waiting to be put on. Im gradually doing a little bit each day. Its been quite stressful to be honest, whith it being my daily drive ive had to concentrate on keeping it road legal whilst rebuildig it. Although I did drive to the spray shop without lights, bumper or rear doors. Managed to avoid the 'old bill' fortunately Whistle

Id like to fit an aluminium (for looks) steering guard, preferably with recovery points but I dont know if it would be very strong?

Last edited by WarPig on 5th Jun 2011 7:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #74344 5th Jun 2011 7:32pm
WarPig

Lorryman100 wrote:
Looking great warpig Cool Thumbs Up Though personally I would have left the siren in place, accidentally of course Whistle Honest officer, I didn't know it was there or what the switch was for..................... Whistle Very Happy

I did consider leaving it on Very Happy , but ended up selling it on ebay for silly money Shocked Very Happy
Post #74345 5th Jun 2011 7:34pm
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
Very nice!
Post #74358 5th Jun 2011 8:57pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
very good

this is the future of old landies Thumbs Up
Post #74362 5th Jun 2011 9:19pm
YORKSHIRELAD

England 
I love it. No corners cut, just a proper job done really well. Thumbs Up

Richard 1963 Series 2A truck cab
2008 110 SW
Post #74374 5th Jun 2011 10:03pm
double cab happy

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
great looking vehical, that one will out last diesal,

thank the nerds for bio-diesal.

good work
Post #74377 5th Jun 2011 10:13pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Brilliant job warpig Thumbs Up I would be really interested to know the ballpark cost of the chassis & bulkhead fitting and the respray.

Great thread and great work. Were you ever tempted to leave it as bought? Great in a tailback on the M25 I'd imagine - straight down the hard shoulder at 70mph no questions asked!
Post #74382 5th Jun 2011 10:27pm
WarPig

110SEB wrote:
Brilliant job warpig Thumbs Up I would be really interested to know the ballpark cost of the chassis & bulkhead fitting and the respray.

Great thread and great work. Were you ever tempted to leave it as bought? Great in a tailback on the M25 I'd imagine - straight down the hard shoulder at 70mph no questions asked!

Laughing Well unfortunarely the blue lights and most of the red stripes had already been removed, along with the metal windscreen grill. But there were bits of police decals everywhere, took ages to remove.

As for costs, the galv chassis cost £1400, pre-sprayed galv bulkhead cost £1000, fitting cost about £1500, respray cost £1600. And then a good few hundred quid for the other parts needed. Perhaps up to £6k in total. Sounds an absolute fortune now I come to think of it Big Cry , but I saved up over the years and bought things in stages. I guess a chain smoker spends more than that in their lifetime?

So the Defender cost £6,900 plus £6k in costs, so a total of about £13k or so. With only one previous keeper (the police) I guess I could get most of my money back if I sold it to someone who knew about Defenders? But its not for sale Mr. Green
Post #74385 5th Jun 2011 10:48pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
good to know.

i fancy getting my 90 a refresh, use the original chassis, get it galved, along with the bulkhead etc

what have you done about the doors? they rust easily and cost alot to replace.
Post #74386 5th Jun 2011 10:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>