↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Hardtop conversion or save up for a Station Wagon?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dnorrishill

England 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hardtop conversion or save up for a Station Wagon?
Right here's the thing - I have had my 2003 TD5 90 hardtop for nearly 18 months now and love it, but it's a little "basic" for the children; which is self defeating as it was bought so that we could all pile into it and do family stuff.

So I have 2 options:

1. Get someone (as I really don't have the time) to do a decent station wagon conversion, or
2. Save up for a Puma station wagon (or possibly a TD5 SW)

For option 1 does anyone have any recommendations on who could do the conversion (full bulkhead removal, windows and as much sound proofing/trim as possible to reduce noise)? I already have a couple of inward facing Exmoor Trim seats.

Thanks in advance.
Post #134831 27th Mar 2012 6:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
On mine I have inward facing Exmoors with rear windows in. head lining ect. Really good IMHO but maybe better to get two forward facing seats instead for your purpose. Do you have to have the bulhead removed? Thumbs Up
Post #134833 27th Mar 2012 6:38pm
dnorrishill

I don't have to have the bulkhead removed, but I am 6'2" and while I have driven many series and Defender trucks over the years, it would give me a little extra leg room.
Post #134835 27th Mar 2012 6:46pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
dnorrishill wrote:
I don't have to have the bulkhead removed, but I am 6'2" and while I have driven many series and Defender trucks over the years, it would give me a little extra leg room.

That's true. Although maybe mud rails with the height added alone might make the difference. Only reson I'm mentioning this is that the bulkhead is good at seperating front to back especially cargo / shopping ect.
Post #134836 27th Mar 2012 6:49pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
if your handy with the tools mate you could do it all yourself Thumbs Up im in the progress of turning mine from a county to a hardtop van basically removing the side windows thats it so if you need some genuine county sw windows i have them here no rust very good price Thumbs Up
Post #134839 27th Mar 2012 6:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Killer90 wrote:
if your handy with the tools mate you could do it all yourself Thumbs Up im in the progress of turning mine from a county to a hardtop van basically removing the side windows thats it so if you need some genuine county sw windows i have them here no rust very good price Thumbs Up

How exactly are you doing this? How much you managed so far? Cool
Post #134843 27th Mar 2012 7:13pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I converted my hard top to a (kind of) SW a few years back. i never bothered with the seats, but fitted the windows and removed the top of the bulkhead with one of the "U" shaped removal bars... it made the seat tip back that little bit extra to help a lot (i'm 6'5")

I've got a picture with the exact dimensions on it for the windows if you decide to cut yours out, although sounds like you've got a deal with killer to swap the panels over Thumbs Up
Post #134859 27th Mar 2012 7:57pm
dnorrishill

Thanks for the replys.

Like I said I am really pushed for time at the moment and I could do the conversion I just don't know when!!

I had a really helpful conversation with Berkshire Landrover who have given me a quote, but I have seen a few negative comments about them.

I also spoke to Landroversuk but their workshop is so busy they won't even put me on the waiting list or give me a quote.

Last edited by dnorrishill on 27th Mar 2012 8:06pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #134863 27th Mar 2012 8:03pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
instead of lifting the roof off and new sides i have access Wink Wink to some panels from work, basically i remove the windows drill the rivets out and place the new side over the top drill the new side and rivet them on once painted i started to drill out the windows yesterday then took them out after work today and malcom the engineer ( top guy ) meausred it all up and drilled the new panels i then put my windows back in only with a couple of rivets for now whilst the panels get sprayed so hopefully by the weekend it will be done if not tuesday next week Thumbs Up
Post #134866 27th Mar 2012 8:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
if you do convert it to a CSW, you will need to tell the insurance company and change the number of seats on the v50 document.

sides do come up on the forum and on the bay, it's not a difficult mod to make and you can pick up side facing or forward facing seats easily enough, however with children in the back you won't have much more space, have you considered changing up to a 110 ?
Post #134867 27th Mar 2012 8:09pm
dnorrishill

The number of seats is blank on the V5, but yes the insurance co will have to be told - which could be a vote in favour of buying a SW and not modding a hardtop - unfortunately general insurers don't like "modified" vehicles, even if they end up being essentially the samething as a production model.

Also considered a 110 and a S2 disco but both of those got vetoed by HRH Big Cry Too big and too ugly apparently Shocked
Post #134872 27th Mar 2012 8:18pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
dnorrishill wrote:
Also considered a 110 and a S2 disco but both of those got vetoed by HRH

have you considered remapping "HRH" or doing a p-ex Rolling with laughter

110's aren't that much bigger on the outside, just a case of getting used to it ... there's a D3 for sale on the forum .. and td5 utils are like hens teeth
Post #134879 27th Mar 2012 8:42pm
dnorrishill

Basically what I want is an Puma XS 90, just can't afford (or justify one to HRH) Big Cry

Remapping hmmmm "the force is stronger with that one" and the cost of part-ex let's not got there I will be consigned to a Vauxhall corsa.
Post #134887 27th Mar 2012 9:10pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I've no idea how much it would cost, but Keith Gotts in Alton would be more than capable of the work that you're thinking of. Give them a call and ask for an estimate. I suspect it would be cheaper to sell yours and buy a SW - these sorts of conversions only really make sense if you can do the work yourself. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #134897 27th Mar 2012 10:09pm
dnorrishill

Darren, top call I forgot about Keith Gott, will call them in the morning.
Post #134899 27th Mar 2012 10:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>