↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > lamp guards and rivnuts Aaaarrgh !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
lamp guards and rivnuts Aaaarrgh !

Click image to enlarge

fitted these Paddocks guards this morning. Much trickier than I thought it would be. Firstly you have to decide if you want them to be out of line with either the grille or the light surrounds (as mine has quite droopy wings like a few others ). I thought it would be less noticable if they were in line with the lights and not the grille.

The primitive rivnut tool supplied (a bit of metal and a bolt) was bordering useless and I didn't get the hang of it until the last one by which time I had to go back and re-do all the others. Stupidly I had no idea of how rivnuts actually work until the end and managed to half compress a couple before they were even fitted (and burred all the nuts in the process !)

Then when you tighten it all up the top rivnuts get pulled kind of sideways as the angle on the top of the guard isn't quite right Evil or Very Mad

Anyway they're on now so we shall see if they fall off at the first pot hole Neutral
Post #133953 24th Mar 2012 2:43pm
ginjez

2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 ST Santorini Black
Front light guards always look better on aircon models. They seem to take your eye away from the extended snout.
Post #133979 24th Mar 2012 5:36pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Coincidence! I'm fitting rivnuts for my lower lamp guard brackets tomorrow (stupid fiddly tiny bolts at the mo).

Even though I have a "proper" rivnut tool and use it loads (I do lots of fabrication with my lads), I still forgot to change to the right compression collar the other day and realised too late when the holes didn't line up Evil or Very Mad

If you're not happy, why not just drill them out and ask a local garage to fit them? Only take a couple of minutes...

Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #134148 24th Mar 2012 11:24pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
if I had those style lights, I would probably go for the perspex covers, however if you are going to change the headlight units, the grills are a great idea because you could use security nuts to ensure the grills are not removed before the 8700's get pinched Thumbs Up
Post #134182 25th Mar 2012 7:00am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Do they flip up, how do you get underneath? If you do take them off again it might be an idea to paint them with POR-15 uv type as they do like a bit of rust Sad Sealant will slow down corrosion around the holes Sad

She's looking very nice Rossy Wink
Post #134207 25th Mar 2012 8:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

Zagato wrote:
Do they flip up, how do you get underneath? If you do take them off again it might be an idea to paint them with POR-15 uv type as they do like a bit of rust Sad Sealant will slow down corrosion around the holes Sad

stainless versions might work better ?
Post #134209 25th Mar 2012 8:30am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Can you get them Steve? The trouble with most of these parts from Paddocks, Bearmach, LR etc is that they don't prime/treat the metal first properly or at all so the rust within a couple of years. They thin powder coating or plastic coating will last long enough before the rust shows. Not to bad on light grills just buy some more but on the roof-racks etc that's a lot of money to go rusty on you Rolling Eyes I know people stopped selling the Bearmach racks because of the complaints.
Post #134212 25th Mar 2012 8:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rossy

Zagato wrote:

They hinge at the bottom so you have to undo the top nuts to, say, change a bulb. But for cleaning purposes theres so much clearance between the grilles and the lights that you can easily get between them
Post #134215 25th Mar 2012 9:02am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Persplex covers are good. They provide better protection to gravel rash then the grille type light guards.

If using beam deflectors with perplex guards then after quite a long period of sustained head light use then the adhesive will slowly turn brown.

We do know that the perplex covers have saved head light at least on one occasion due to to star shaped crack in it.

Going into extremely sandy conditions then the clarity of the perplex is diminished due to the sand.

On our red 110 we have a perplex rear door window, be there 4 years Thumbs Up Clarity not brilliant but not important as I reverse on mirrors

Pros and cons!

Brendan
Post #134218 25th Mar 2012 9:16am
rossy

I've already replaced a busted headlight but they are only about £15 from Paddocks and apart from all the screws that have to be undone they are easy to change. Standard does me but with brighter bulbs. I get these '90% brighter' ones from Halfords when they are BOGOF

The chances of a stone hitting the guard and not the light are quite slim I know but they just liven up the plain non XS black grille. I was going to get a KBX or a Brunel grille but for £50 and 2 hours of foul language/fitting they look like they were always meant to be there ! (I think)
Post #134222 25th Mar 2012 9:40am
ZeDefender

Done mine - 15 minute job Thumbs Up

Ally rivnuts, steel guards and stainless screws - a delightful combination, ripe for trimetallic corrosion - hopefully the Duralac will help.

Bit rusty around the holes but it'll never be a serious problem - Hammerite once a year should take care of that Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #134231 25th Mar 2012 10:21am
bpman

Zagato wrote:
Can you get them Steve? The trouble with most of these parts from Paddocks, Bearmach, LR etc is that they don't prime/treat the metal first properly or at all so the rust within a couple of years. They thin powder coating or plastic coating will last long enough before the rust shows. Not to bad on light grills just buy some more but on the roof-racks etc that's a lot of money to go rusty on you Rolling Eyes I know people stopped selling the Bearmach racks because of the complaints.

cor4 would be a good place to start looking ...
Post #134241 25th Mar 2012 11:46am
rossy

ZeDefender wrote:
Done mine - 15 minute job Thumbs Up

Ally rivnuts, steel guards and stainless screws - a delightful combination, ripe for trimetallic corrosion - hopefully the Duralac will help.

Bit rusty around the holes but it'll never be a serious problem - Hammerite once a year should take care of that Laughing

Yeah yeah yeah rub it in why don't you Laughing

There's always someone who can do a job that would take me all day in 10 minutes !
But the scary thing is standing in front of your pride & joy with a drill thinking 'I'm about to knock eight holes in you and after that there's no way back' Shocked
Post #134250 25th Mar 2012 12:46pm
ZeDefender

rossy wrote:
the scary thing is standing in front of your pride & joy with a drill thinking 'I'm about to knock eight holes in you and after that there's no way back

Well, I've passed beyond the point of sanity after drilling 100+ holes for the window grilles, chequerplate (corners, sidesteps, wings and bonnet) and parking sensor Shocked
I've tried to reduce corrosion (according to "the book of Zag") as far as possible but it's going to rust eventually anyway, so what the hell Thumbs Up
Good luck with yours - I'm sure it will be neater than mine Smile Tell someone you love them today because life is short.

Last edited by ZeDefender on 25th Mar 2012 1:20pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #134256 25th Mar 2012 1:11pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
There's a company on eBay that sell GALVANISED LIGHT GUARDS. Ripe for painting or powder coating. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #134257 25th Mar 2012 1:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>