Home > Africa > Sand / Snow Anchors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BG1

United Kingdom 
Sand / Snow Anchors
Hi,
I'm researching the Sand and Snow anchors that 4X4 vehicles use in very extreme conditions IE:- Snow {the loose powder Snow) that does not form a snow ball because it to cold and dry. Sand, the very loose wind blown desert sand.
I have looked at the "plough style" and peg Style and I am looking for people who have had the successes and the failures with this style of equipment, but do they really work in Snow and Sand with a fully laden expedition on the end of the winch rope.

I welcome all sensible onput and comments if you have had experience of this type of equipment

Regards BG1
Post #5504 15th Dec 2008 9:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
emon

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 Challenge Tangiers Orange
Hi, I am assuming two things for the reply below. One, that you may be travelling alone to the lands of snow or sand, hence need to recover yourself and two, you have already tried the plough types already with limited success.

On point one, travelling alone is definitely not a good idea, especially in remote areas. If there is a second vehicle, pulled out or winched out is more reliable and effective. There is also the safety factor to consider.

On point two, if you really need to recover yourself using an "anchor", then the most effective is to use your speare wheel. For that you have to bury it perpendicular to your vehicle about 15-20m away and 1m deep. Like anything it requires practice, but is 100% effective. The plus side is that you don't have to carry an anchor. Hope this helps. ______________________________
G4 Defender 110 2003
Member of G4 Owners Club
Post #5777 27th Dec 2008 10:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BG1

United Kingdom 
Hi Emon, thanks for the reply on the land anchor questions. To answer your questions I work for Land Rover at Gaydon on the "Off Road Attribute Section".
I am researching land anchors to find out does this equipment really do the job in the real world, hence the question to anybody who might have used the kit in anger.

I have asked this question on a range of 4x4 forums and are still gathering answers, it appears that some people carry land anchors and some don't as it can be expensive and as you say extra weight and space ttaken up in the vehicle.
But some people think that certain styles of anchors are the best thing since sliced bread (No digging reqiured)

I have no preferance to which does what, I would like to know do they really work in the worsed conditions as that is when you and you 4x4 will get stuck and will need the use of Land anchors.

I welcome all replys and inputs
Post #5944 5th Jan 2009 8:24am
emon

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 G4 Challenge Tangiers Orange
BG1,

So I was preaching to the expert! Actually, I would be quite interested at your findings! ______________________________
G4 Defender 110 2003
Member of G4 Owners Club
Post #6041 7th Jan 2009 8:51pm
foz.in.oz

Australia 2004 Defender 110 Td5 SW Bonatti Grey
BG1,

If you work for the Off road Attributes section surely you should be out there in a company RRS somewhere testing all this stuff yourself Very Happy Very Happy Cool Land Rovers are an addiction. Toyotas are for quitters.

WWW.CQLROC.ORG
Post #6044 7th Jan 2009 9:27pm
angus1886

1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
my father's experience with a land anchor (seeing one of the 2' nails fly through the cab roof) put me off the idea of carrying anything long and pointy, but I met a German who spends a lot of time in Libya who swore by his old-fashioned nail-into-the-sand kit.

I would also be interested in your findings - pls post them when you complete your research.
Post #34475 15th Jun 2010 12:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1