↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Camping in Scotland late May
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Pam W

England 1998 Defender 90 Td5 SW Auto Oslo Blue
Camping in Scotland late May
Intending to go to Scotland for 1 to 2 weeks in late May, once we have our roof tent. Bit of a trial run so to speak.

Probably sticking to the east to avoid the midges and working our way up from Yorkshire to Orkney and back. Looking to stay 1 night or at most 2 at each stop. Don't really want to book in advance but need some vague ideas of where we can stay on spec as we go along (it is out of school hols so hoping sites not busy and booked up)

Can anyone suggest some nice quiet small camping sites that would take in some lovely mountain scenery and/or coast?

Can be minimal facilities - a loo and maybe a shower, don't mind roughing it so wild camping suggestions also gratefully received. Whatever though it must NOT have pitches set out in neat rows with tarmac / gravel hardstandings. If we want to stay in what looks like a semi-rural housing estate with everyone in neat rows with shiny cars on their drives we can stay at home! I like nice soft grass for a carpet in my awning, not gravel ! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Cheers in advance of sensible replies ! Thumbs Up
Post #131162 13th Mar 2012 10:27pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Midges are pretty unlikely in May Cool
Post #131182 13th Mar 2012 11:17pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Glenn Brittle campsite on the Isle of Skye ticks all those boxes.... except it's not on the east coast Rolling Eyes

There are no midges there really at any time of year, although as above May is too early for midgies anyway really.
Post #131190 13th Mar 2012 11:43pm
Pam W

According to what I've read on t'internet, from scientific pages to tourist pages, forums and travel blogs, the midges start to come out in early May with a peak in late May/early June and another peak in late July/August. As we are going last 2 weeks of May that suggests midges could be a problem! Shocked

But thanks for the suggest twopoint - I'll add it to the list in case we do decide to go west !

Cheers,
Pam Smile
Post #131203 14th Mar 2012 6:46am
markalpha

England 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Midges end of May very real possibility. Avon skin so soft does the trick, just cover ALL exposed skin in it all of the time. Worse at Dawn and dusk. Find a windy campsite nr coast this can help avoid forest campsite.

If you get bitten a lot be careful of skin infections. My wife had a very bad time when we went a few years ago.
Post #131317 14th Mar 2012 2:55pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Midges are mainly found more towards the west coast Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #131319 14th Mar 2012 3:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Hmmm - I'm not an authority, but I've lived, climbed, mountain-biked-and kayaked all over Scotland for 20 years.

Midges start as early as March/April, but are in relatively small numbers. They need still, damp conditions to thrive, and become a nuisance. As we have not really had a winter, I suggest they will start early this year.

But... all it needs is a gentle breeze, or a dry spell, and they become completely tolerable (or non-existant).

When they're at their worst (mild, still, damp days between June and edd-August) - they can be intolerable. Swarms get in your hair, up your nose, in your eyes. I have cooked fried bacon on a campsite, whioch has been blackened by dead midges (they are attracted by cooking). If you get in your tent at night, any remaining midges can be killed by lighting a candle or a gas lamp...they commit suicide onto the flame in a very satisfying way.

Please don't be put off heading West. It is the best bit for scenery. Applecross, Skye, Gairloch, Torridon, Arisaig, Plockton (and anywhere in Sutherland) etc are all stunning.

As midges live in grass/roots, and can't fly very well, all you need is a gentle westerly breeze, and stay near the coast, and it's not that bad at all.

The campsite at Glen Brittle is indeed nice (as twopoint says), Ullapool is also nice (if a bit regimented), Applecross is stunning.

See also this thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8690.html

Whatever you do - I hope the weather is kind, and you enjoy your trip! Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #131324 14th Mar 2012 3:48pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Yup, been on a few impromptu visits to Skye when the midgies inland became intolerable. Worst I've had was camping next to Loch Arkaig outside Ft William - our camping lanterns were just a black crawling mass of insects. As MartinK says, the coastal breeze is a good remedy for that.

Oh and I'd deffo agree that west is best for scenery. Although I'm sure there's some nice quiet spots on the east coast too, particularly north of Aberdeen.
Post #131337 14th Mar 2012 4:42pm
Pam W

Thanks for the tips chaps.

Main reason for sticking to a route up the east side is because I fancy going to Orkney for a visit to Skara Brae - I'm an archaeologist by trade - so a bit of a busman's holiday! Plus its our 25th anniversary Milestone and I'd like to be somewhere special!

The midges being worse in the west is a plus point too though!
Post #131343 14th Mar 2012 5:48pm
Small Clanger

United Kingdom 
Have a look at www.lazyduck.co.uk campsite.
It's a few miles south of Grantown-on-Spey, easily do-able from Harrogate in a day, either up the A9 or via Braemar, Ballater and Tomintoul which takes you over some fantastic roads. I often go that way on the bike.
There's also a nice campsite at Scourie up in the north-west if you're planning coming back down on the west coast. If you decide to have a night in a B&B, try www.theceilidhplace.com in Ullapool. It's one of our favourite places, good music, great food, good beer and comfy beds.
Post #136062 1st Apr 2012 1:17pm
Merlin

United Kingdom 
We stayed here:

Cairneach Milk Bar
Drymen
Drymen
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
G63 0AA

Not quite east coast, but quiet. In our caravan, that is.

Merlin
Post #136086 1st Apr 2012 4:50pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
I have heard that lavender essence is excellent for repelling mossies BM52
Post #136091 1st Apr 2012 5:17pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
Campsite in Roy Bridge near Spean Bridge/ Fort William is a nice spot, at the foot of the gray corries and ben nevis.

Two pubs close by too.

http://www.bunroycamping.co.uk/
Post #136133 1st Apr 2012 7:05pm
Pam W

Thanks for the further suggestions.

Looks like we won't be going as planned in May due to a delay with kit, but will hopefully will get there eventually!
Post #136177 1st Apr 2012 9:49pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
there's been a land slide around the area of the Sky bridge, so some local info will be required if you are planning on visiting Sky.

Good to meet you on Saturday Pam W (& MrPamW)
Post #136252 2nd Apr 2012 12:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1