↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Oztent quality concerns!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Oztent quality concerns!
I was talking to a chap at the Dunsfold do last year who had problems with his Oztent so he sold it (the plastic bits on the poles broke!). I would like one but have just done a bit of Googling to see how they fare and was a bit disappointed by some feedback. There does seem to have been quality issues with broken or slipping poles and tearing/leaking seems Shocked

These tents are VERY pricey for what they are, these issue shouldn't be apparent in any tent but for the price Shocked I don't mind paying for quality but ........

Examples of just two of the poor reviews I found.

Viewed: 3552 times

By: Rosecol Reason: I own(ed) one Made in: 2007 Rating: Date: 27/06/2010

We were very fortunate that we were able to buy our RV3 complete with all panels,poles etc for £500,it had only been used once by previous owner, we had seen this tent on a trip to Morocco and were very impressed with the speed of erection and my partner at 6'3' could stand up easily in it, also we were needing to upgrade to a bigger tent as we were intending to do a lot more travelling. There is a downside with the weight, but the living space is great, with all the panels up we have managed to fit 6 in the tent for a meal out of the rain. Recently we have had a problem with a leak from the seam above the bed compartment zip and one of the horizontal poles in windy weather collapses, we have contacted BOAB and OZTENT but neither have even had the courtesy to reply, we have met other Ozten owners with similar problems and on there advice have used a waterproof sealant for the seam.

I would still recommend the tent and on the whole love it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By: PaulBB Reason: I own(ed) one Made in: 2010 Rating: Date: 24/06/2010

I raved about this tent when I first got it time can change one's mind. I purchased an extension for it called a deluxe screening room cost £175 all would be still fantastic except the first time I used it a seam on the main tent were the extension attaches ripped. I returned it to the UK importer BOAB Ltd but despite showing the photo evidence that I had pitched it all correctly they STILL insisted I was somehow responsible and would not accept there must have been a fault with the tent seam and so refused to repair or replace it despite the tent being sold with a 2 year FULL warranty. So much as in principle this is a great tent it’s clear that the importer is not.

What experiences have any owners of Oz Tents on here had with them? and how to people get them in a back of a TDCi, rest on the seat top perhaps or will it fit if you put one middle seat down?
Post #131053 13th Mar 2012 7:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SGH

United Kingdom 
We had an Oztent after having a roof tent as we wanted something easier to put up an leave.

Thought they were over rated and over priced and if you go with all the add on options Smile a pain to put up.Thumbs Up 993 Varioram - Guards Red
Defender 2.5 300TDI 110 HCP - Keswick Green
Defender 2.2 TDCI 130 HCP - Orkney Grey - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Corris Grey/Black Pack - GONE
Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE LUX - Montaciano Red/Black Pack - GONE
Post #131064 13th Mar 2012 8:06pm
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Had our RV4 for many many years and it has been no trouble at all. BUT mine was one of the earlier ones before they swtiched production to China. Bought some sides for it about threee years ago and the bloody zips had been sewn in upside down. Had to wait ages for a replacement but luckly we were not about to go on a trip and Nene the supplier seem to try very hard to get it sorted. I have had freinds who have had one of the new ones and all seem to had somesort of fualt. One bought a brand new one for the last Eastnor show can't remember which one but it was the year it rained nearly non stop. The tent leaked from new and they ended up sleeping in their RRC. I once had a very small issue with mine so at a show I asked the chap at BOAB his advice ad he was very rude and abrupt (but I think he had just had a row with another chap) and swore quite a lot. All I asked was if I could buy a new plastic clip for the guy rope on ours. We left and now go to Nene for parts. OK all that said my wife loves the tent and I've lost count of how many trips and years we have had it. It was worth every penny we paid. I have been told that the quality issue are now getting better. We also have a 3x3 howling moon tent which is also very good and super robust but quite heavy. Both are buy once items, the rV is easier to use but the Howling moon dome tent is better quality and better matirials. I would recomend either but shop aroud as neither are cheap. Last year the best deal was some on line camping shop called Norfolk Camping or something like that and I know two who ended up buy with out issue from them.
Post #131068 13th Mar 2012 8:17pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
So why in God's name don't all these idiot companies wake up and realise that moving manufacturing to China makes for crap quality and weakens industry in the rest of the world (okay, I admit I'm really talking about Europe)!
This includes LR and their sh*tty gearbox. When a product is high quality, people will pay for it but when the quality drops (usually greed-related) and they can't sell their overpriced crap, they go under and leave their loyal customers high and dry.

Sorry for ranting - recent unrelated incident involving a very expensive lawnmower Rolling Eyes

Won't be buying an Oztent then... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #131083 13th Mar 2012 8:38pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Go Honda for lawnmowers ZeDefender Thumbs Up

Well until I hear otherwise I won't be saving for an Oztent either and will use my cheapy one which is the only one without incident so far Shocked I have spent quite a bit of money over the years on tents and have to say the general quality is not great, even the pricey mountaineering ones were really never much cop Rolling Eyes I think it's a case of moving production abroad with them as well has lessened the brand reputation Sad

If the Oztent stretcher bed thing is anything to go by I definitely won't be buying one Mad Good job I got it free with an LRO subscription Rolling Eyes
Post #131115 13th Mar 2012 9:44pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Would love either an Oz tent or Jet tent for going away with my lad, but they aint cheap are they! Rolling Eyes
Post #131126 13th Mar 2012 10:09pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Sounds like you've already made up your mind, so not really sure what answer you're looking for. We love our RV4 though and plan to buy a Tag-along this year to expand it for the kids. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #131137 13th Mar 2012 10:30pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
I was looking at a Jet tent as it packs smaller, but will look for some reviews thanks Zag Thumbs Up
As for lawn mowers I was told by our local mower dealer/repairer to only by Honda apparently Briggs & Stratton are now made in China. Big Cry
Post #131153 13th Mar 2012 10:59pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I think the idea behind them is great but my worry has always been how they would fare in very strong wind. Vertical sides and not many guy lines do not a sound nights sleep make.

Someone will be along in a minute to say oh we had it in force 56 for 2 weeks and it was fine. Maybe so, but I can't see them lasting in any serious conditions.
Post #131184 14th Mar 2012 12:19am
ken

United Kingdom 
Used one for the last four years they are great

Always treated it properly it gets aired after each outing etc etc I find bad reviews to be taken with a pinch of salt worth reading but how many happy peeps are out there Thumbs Up
Post #131197 14th Mar 2012 5:32am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've had two, a RV1 which was perfect with no problems apart from being too small for more than two of us so I sold it to get a RV5.

I've had the RV for four years and it has been used many times - it has had a few problems though;

The first one was when I lent to a mate for trip to the alps and it came back with a couple of seams coming apart where the rear tie down points were attached.

I took it up with the importers (BOAB) who denied all responsibility and didn't want to know at first. After a bit of a debate they (Chris) agreed to look at it as it was less than a year old. After about six weeks it came back fixed.

I've had a couple of poles stick but Nene swopped them out and this can be avoided by popping the end cap off and letting them dry out after use in the rain.

Only other problem is a bit of water as noted previously above the main door zip - this is due to the fact it can pool there (BOAB explained that it wasn't a problem as the tents are designed for Australia where it doesn't rain Rolling Eyes ) but some fabsil fixes that.

I have the sides and front and also bought a tagalong which gives a second large room - great but defeats the object of a 30 second erection Whistle somewhat.

Overall I still think they are hard to beat. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #131280 14th Mar 2012 1:01pm
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I've been very happy with my RV2 over the years (used for a number of trips). Goes up easy, good fabric so should last a long time, so far waterproof even in very wet weather.

I did have a couple of problems though which still remain

The top plastic hinges at the front when the tent is erected and tensioned correctly bend back on themselves at an alarming angle and I am concerned that one day they will snap off, got in touch with supplier (BOAB) who suggested that I am erecting it wrongly (which I'm not) and that they never had a breakage, so it looks to me like a design fault. Also got in touch with Australian manufacturers and they said that's how its supposed to be (which it clearly isn't) It can be overcome by releasing tension on the cross poles once erected, but that means the tent isn't supported correctly, but it hasn't fallen down yet so I'm sticking with that until I can fabricate a 'sleeve' to hold it straight to avoid it bending back.

Also the flysheet I bought to go with it has ripped two corners out, didn't bother getting in touch with BOAB on this one as I guessed the response in advance. I'll be beefing up the corners with some stronger fabric when I get 5 mins. it was the eyelet pulled out of fake leather bit when windy (probably not windy in Aus, but I'll check in October as I'm doing a weeks bush camping there in brothers Oztent (s).

Broke a pole and bought replacements from Brendan (ta) as sensible postage compared to original supplier.

Apart from that all good, sounds like some people have been unlucky and not been able to get sorted properly under 'warranty', not sure how warranty can be serviced that well (repairs wise) as they are imported, and it's unlikely distributors have repair facilities (some may of course) so they'll end up taking a big hit if it has to be replaced under warranty. Might be interesting to hear how it is supposed to work from a UK distributors point of view.

Also don't forget to take awning poles with you, otherwise it's pretty hard to make a decent job of it! Learnt that the hard way this year, had a few 'spare but shorter poles so was able to cobble something together, but looked like a refugee camp Rolling with laughter

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #131296 14th Mar 2012 2:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1