↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Rear Panel Damage Caused By Spare Wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mjj160

United Kingdom 
Rear Panel Damage Caused By Spare Wheel
I have a 11 plate defender with 235-85-R16 continental tyres fitted, (standard Factory fitment) the problem I had was when the back door was not shut correctly,(probably my fault) and it opened while I was driving, due to the weight and size of the wheel, it swung round and the door check should of stopped it, but the wheel actually hit the rear panel causing a dent and cracked the paint.
On inspection I would say that the door check was too long for this size of wheel when fitted to the back door, I have therefore removed the door check and drilled another hole in it, about 10mm from the original, further along the check and cut off some of the length, this seem to be the answer as now can not get the wheel to hit the panel, and door opening width is exactly the same.
It might be worth checking your Defender if also fitted with this size tyres to see if it also needs a modification, I think LR should of spotted this mistake when they fitted tyres with a large aspect ratio.
Down side for me is now need to have dent removed, and more importantly the cracked paint repaired so water does not get behind !!

Regards
Mike
Post #130920 13th Mar 2012 7:53am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Sorry to hear that Mike Sad

It's a poor design if you look at SW Defenders I should think 99% of them have a dented rear panel from the tyre hitting the panel when the door is opened too far. A gas strut is the answer form Overland 4x4 (think it's a Nakatanenga one! See site sponsors) Thumbs Up
Post #130921 13th Mar 2012 8:08am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Mike - also consider fitting a spare wheel carrier, this takes the load of the wheel off the door and door hinges, especially if you are fitting bigger tyres.

I have mantec which is strong and reasonably priced

Last edited by bpman on 14th Mar 2012 2:02pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #130929 13th Mar 2012 8:32am
leeds

United Kingdom 
We run 255/85/16 (which are slightly larger then 235/85) on our 110's and have not experience trouble with them hitting the rear panel.

We do have swing away wheel carriers fitted however.

If the rear door has opened with some speed/force then with flex etc the door may have opened further then normal.

Cracked paint is the first priority. Larger tyres put more strain on the rear door then the standard ones so a swing away wheel carrier may be beneficial. Combined with a gasstut they do make openingthedoor easier,more stable with door open, but more pressure is required to close the door.

Brendan
Post #130937 13th Mar 2012 9:07am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
This is a common issue and one that Land Rover should have sorted long ago in my opinion. You can also wind the spare wheel studs out/fit spacers. Mine was sorted when I changed my wheels and the different offset took the wheel further out.
A swing away wheel carrier is of course the another solution but comes at a cost if that's what you want! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!

Last edited by K9F on 2nd Oct 2014 8:59am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #130943 13th Mar 2012 9:28am
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
Except swing-away type wheel carriers are no good for SWs where you have occupants in the rear - unless you want them trapped in! Whistle

I've ended up fitting wheel carriers to my last two Defenders, because the weight of the wheel tore the door structure to pieces. I'm hoping the new (>MY02) type is a lot stronger....
Post #130950 13th Mar 2012 9:44am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
twopoint6khz wrote:
Except swing-away type wheel carriers are no good for SWs where you have occupants in the rear - unless you want them trapped in! Whistle ...

Good point and one I hadn't considered. Quite a safety issue if you carry passengers..... Whistle
Knew there was a reason I didn't rush out and buy one! If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #130952 13th Mar 2012 9:48am
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Brendan on Pumas the door is able to open too far if on a slope say or if you left it swing around after openiong it too quickly. The gas strut sorts the problem.

A rear swing-away wheel carrier apart from the cost and drilling holes into the bodywork which you really don't want to do if you can avoid it (some are attached to the rear crossmember though Thumbs Up ) are a real hefty weight to add to your motor. Apparently the carrier is only needed if you off-road as the jolting causes the possible problem. I wonder how speed bumps and Surrey pot holed road will effect mine Shocked They now have three hinges on the back instead of just two from Series days but this was to account for the later heavier wheels.

The problem is in the weakness of the ally around the hinge BUT don't Pumas have steel rear doors now? Would make it stronger!? Confused
Post #130954 13th Mar 2012 9:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
K9F wrote:
twopoint6khz wrote:
Except swing-away type wheel carriers are no good for SWs where you have occupants in the rear - unless you want them trapped in! Whistle ...

Good point and one I hadn't considered. Quite a safety issue if you carry passengers..... Whistle
Knew there was a reason I didn't rush out and buy one!

Depends which type you fit - most fix to the door and crossmember / tub and swing with the door so no problem with passengers. John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #130980 13th Mar 2012 12:10pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
That's the sort I've fitted before. They're not 'swing-away' wheel carriers though - swing-away ones are the type that move separately to the back door Thumbs Up
Post #130990 13th Mar 2012 1:12pm
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
Not good Mike.

My rear panel got a dent in it when the wind caught the door and it opened too far. Was not a happy chap. I have been able to "pop" the panel out a bit so not too noticable apart from the fact that I know it is there. It drives me nuts every time I see it. The aluminium has been stretched. The more you stuff around with it the worse it gets. I have found even new Defenders on the car lots with this type of damage. When I purchase my next one I will specify that if the damage is there, I won't accept the car. It just should not be able to happen.

I would think to replace the panel and get the spot welds right would be expensive.
Post #131248 14th Mar 2012 10:48am
dgardel

Italy 
JSG wrote:
K9F wrote:
twopoint6khz wrote:

Knew there was a reason I didn't rush out and buy one!

Depends which type you fit - most fix to the door and crossmember / tub and swing with the door so no problem with passengers.

Yes, I have the Mantec one and the lower part is fixed to the rear crossmember. great piece of kit, I'm happy with it (my rear door also) Thumbs Up Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #131292 14th Mar 2012 1:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1