Home > Tdi > Veg oil?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
mymini007

1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Java Black
Veg oil?
I have been toying with the idea since I bought my 90
I have read all sorts of posts and blogs and forums, the more I read the more confused I get.

Some say yes some say no.

Can I run my 200Tdi on veg oil?

I dont mean a second tank, just mixing it with the diesel before it goes in the tank. You cant polish a turd!
But you can roll it in glitter Smile

2006 Mercedes Benz CDI320
2001 Volkswagon Caddy Van 1.9 SDi
1993 Nissan Patrol 4.2 TD
1986 90 200tdi - SOLD
1990 Mini mayfair (highly modified) - FOR SALE
Post #130916 13th Mar 2012 7:31am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yes

Andy
Post #130917 13th Mar 2012 7:44am
mymini007

landy andy wrote:
Yes

Andy

Thats what I like.....a really long drawn out contrived answer Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter

Will it cause any problems? You cant polish a turd!

1986 90 200tdi - SOLD
Post #130933 13th Mar 2012 8:38am
Mountain_man

Wales 
Yes you can and provided the engine is in good condition and the temperatures well above freezing you probably won't have any problems short term......

BUT

starting from cold will put a hell of a strain on the engine.
you may suffer loads of bore wash from cold leading to the veg oil getting into the sump where it will mix with the oil to form treacle. This happened to a friend and resulted in a con-rod through the block.

Far better to use a twin tank system and only introduce the veg oil when up to operating temp and then pass the oil through a heat exchanger.

If you don't do this then only add a small percentage of veg oil to a tank of diesel at any one time. More in summer, less in winter. Possibly up to 50 percent in very warm weather but no more. Check oil level frequently and change every 3000 miles max.
Post #130947 13th Mar 2012 9:35am
mymini007

Great thanks, I was goign to try 5L in a full tank. And see how that gets on. You cant polish a turd!

1986 90 200tdi - SOLD
Post #130957 13th Mar 2012 10:23am
scamp

I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject with exactly the same idea - only difference is I'm still trying to find a 300Tdi 110 to put the stuff in.

There is a huge amount of information out there but it can all get a bit confusing but I found this forum to be very helpful - http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

It seems there a a few different routes to take:-

New veg oil - run 100% neat but only in the warmer months. If running it in the winter then unleaded petrol needs to be added along with some "Veggi-boost" to bring the Cetane rating back up.

New veg oil mixed at various percentages with DERV depending on the seasonal temperatures

Waste veg oil filtered and "dried" to get all the lumpy bits and water out and then mixed as above.

It seems from the forum that I am on the advise is to try it bit by bit and increase the percentage of SVO to see how your engine reacts.

THe only other thing I've picked up on is if you use a manufactured Biodiesel (ie true diesel but made from oil using some nasty-ish chemicals) then change your pump seals for ones made of Vitron

Hope this helps
Post #131369 14th Mar 2012 8:36pm
mymini007

scamp wrote:
I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject with exactly the same idea - only difference is I'm still trying to find a 300Tdi 110 to put the stuff in.

There is a huge amount of information out there but it can all get a bit confusing but I found this forum to be very helpful - http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11

It seems there a a few different routes to take:-

New veg oil - run 100% neat but only in the warmer months. If running it in the winter then unleaded petrol needs to be added along with some "Veggi-boost" to bring the Cetane rating back up.

New veg oil mixed at various percentages with DERV depending on the seasonal temperatures

Waste veg oil filtered and "dried" to get all the lumpy bits and water out and then mixed as above.

It seems from the forum that I am on the advise is to try it bit by bit and increase the percentage of SVO to see how your engine reacts.

THe only other thing I've picked up on is if you use a manufactured Biodiesel (ie true diesel but made from oil using some nasty-ish chemicals) then change your pump seals for ones made of Vitron

Hope this helps

Thanks, its kind of time to either bite the bullet or dont, I have read and read various forums and sites, and they all come back with mixed opinions, so its a case of try it for myself.

Looked on one site and a chap had successfully been running a 200tdi on SVO for 40k, just as you said mixing depending on the temp, with no issues what so ever. then i read about another 200tdi owner that tried the same and sludged up his engine causing oil starvation.

I just need to have a go really. You cant polish a turd!

1986 90 200tdi - SOLD
Post #131384 14th Mar 2012 9:02pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Been using veg oil in my 300tdi for years. I buy it new in 20 litre containers and just pour it into the tank. In the summer I go as high as 70% veg oil to 30% diesel. In the winter I reduce the ratio, and in really cold weather I dont put it in at all, as it can get thick in the cold and make starting the engine difficult.

To help with pouring it in, I bought a millitary 'fuel filler neck externtion tube' that sits inside the filler neck, and pulls out to about 10" when needed. I think these were designed for filling up from jerry cans?

Some folk claim it can cause the fuel pump to fail, but mine hasnt!

Apparantly the diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil?
Post #131396 14th Mar 2012 9:21pm
scamp

I konw what you mean Mymini - it's all a bit information overload.

The logic says that as long as you don't over strain the pump because of too thick a fluid it should all be OK as the very first compression ignition engine ( a few years before Mr Diesel claimed it was all his idea ) was designed to run on peanut oil so that said any vegetable oil should work fine.

But then like you say there are the nightmare stories - but TBH the full background on these does sometimes seem a little hazzy. So could it be down to opperator error?

I think based on the number of forums and the shear number of people doing it has surely got to be the worth the effort.

In fact the Germans were producing huge quantities of Bio-diesel during the later stages of WW2

OK, so were's the "I'll get me coat" emoticon? Mr. Green
Post #131400 14th Mar 2012 9:29pm
scamp

WarPig wrote:

Apparantly the diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil?

Embarassed Was typing while you were posting Laughing
Post #131402 14th Mar 2012 9:31pm
twopoint6khz

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
The original engine designed by Rudolf Diesel was made to run on peanut oil, but that was a while ago and doesn't necessarily bear much resemblance to a modern engine.... although you never know with Land Rovers Rolling with laughter

I've been to Cornwall (a loooooong way away) in an old Pug running on chip fat. The smell made us want to stop for a fry-up at every service station on the way, thus pretty much negating the fuel saving Whistle
Post #131417 14th Mar 2012 10:15pm
scamp

I was under the impression that the first compression ignition engines were built by Hornsby here in Lincoln a few years before Dr. Diesel got his first prototype running.

Having done a little Googling it seems this is a very long standing discussion topic. The Hornsby-Akroyd engine, although in production a few years before the Diesel, is classed as a 'Vaporising Oil Engine' - not a true compression ignition engine. Although it seems there are rumours of a Hornsby compression ignition engine but there was a big problem with "Diesel knock" and it was not persued and no mention of dates.

We really need a "I'll get me coat" emoticon on here Laughing
Post #131446 14th Mar 2012 11:15pm
yostumpy

been running a temp dependant blend of svo/dino for over 3 years now. some dos and don'ts,

DO only use rapeseed or sunflower oil, and NO gm Soya or any thing else. These are the gummy ones.

DON'T put your quota of oil in, then leave the truck sitting overnight, as it'll sink to the bottom of the tank and all come thro' at once like a syrup, instead put it in when you are just off somewhere, as the movement will mix it up a bit.

DO keep yourreciepts to show the 'tank dipper' man how much you've used , should you ever get stopped.

DO park your truck as close to the main entrance of the supermarket when you fill up with svo, People see you pouring it in and the numpties always ask 'does that work then' to which the answer 'no' leaves them a tad bemused.

DO carry a spare fuel filter or 2, and change the existing at the first hint of clogging. This is not to be confused with a hesitantness sometimes, as its just the thicker cold fuel trying to get pushed thro the injectors, just fllor it for a second or two.

DO keep a keen eye out on supermarket savers, the best I had was about 18 months ago, at Tesco, 3ltrs of rapeseed for £2.48............. BOGOF. workrd out to be 42ppl. I ordered 60 bottles for home delivery, which they delivered, but politely refused the second order, so I went to the BIG Tesco store and bought another 60 bottles. All gone now tho! Big Cry
Post #131910 16th Mar 2012 7:39pm
mymini007

yostumpy wrote:

DO park your truck as close to the main entrance of the supermarket when you fill up with svo, People see you pouring it in and the numpties always ask 'does that work then' to which the answer 'no' leaves them a tad bemused.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Cant stop laughing at this! You cant polish a turd!

1986 90 200tdi - SOLD
Post #131919 16th Mar 2012 7:56pm
Diablo

1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Keswick Green
Been running mine on veggie for years now, without problem. I would alway advocate a proper twin tanked system though.

There's a good chance you'll need to replace your injectors shortly after starting to use veg though, as it really shows up any wear in them, and the people behind you at junctions tend to disappear in a cloud of smoke!
Post #134545 26th Mar 2012 5:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>