↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > New owner and a couple of questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jay knowles

New owner and a couple of questions
Just like to say hello, just got a new defender after nearly 20 years since my series 3 swb, just had a mad moment and fancied another one. Couple of quick questions, been reading on here and other places about the theft of these cars, how good is the current alarm immobiliser on the latest defender, and whats this eka code, looked through the paper work and can't find it.Just one more question , seem to get a bit of drive line shunt is this normal on a new vehicle, thanks for your time .Jay
Post #130411 10th Mar 2012 9:56pm
ericvv

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Post #130415 10th Mar 2012 10:07pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
assuming its a puma you will get used to driving it when i first drove them i was very jumpy/ shunty and clonky changing gear but over time its as sweet as Thumbs Up alarm wise the factory fitted one is good but not great its best to have a shock sensitive one just incase the scrots try lifting your motor Thumbs Up
Post #130417 10th Mar 2012 10:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jay knowles

Thanks for replies so far, as for the drive line it may be me just expecting to much and being used to cars that just don't have as many moving parts under them. Was thinking of getting an additional immobiliser as the vehicle is unlikely to be lifted due to it being garaged and never to far from me when its parked, thanks Jay
Post #130424 10th Mar 2012 10:24pm
Killer90
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Fuji White
youll be surprised what they can do jay even releasing the handbrake from underneath and rolling it away from your garage then starting it down the road you'll never know Big Cry and yep the shunt is most likely you getting used to the drive Thumbs Up
Post #130425 10th Mar 2012 10:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Try taking the gear change speed down a touch and don't accelerate until the clutch is fully up. In time you'll perfect it. You might find that keeping the revs up a bit higher to counteract the slower change will help. Thumbs Up
Post #130426 10th Mar 2012 10:39pm
WelshGas

Wales 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Welcome back to the world of Land Rover ownership. I had a similar problem with the drive line having come from a RX8 to a Defender. I perfected my gear change by slowing down the change, and counting 1 - move from gear to neutral, 2 - neutral, 3 - into new gear. Works for me. I would give it a few weeks to get used to the Defender before rushing back to the Dealer. You just have to slow down and enjoy the drive and reset your clock to Defender Time. Whistle Whistle LANDYWATCH

Neighbourhood Watch for Land Rover Owners

http://www.landywatch.co.uk/smf2/index.php
Post #130445 11th Mar 2012 6:48am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I too had gone a long time without owning a landy and the last one I had for any time was a S3 12 years ago, I'm so far very please with my 90

I had what i thought was slack in the drive and loads of other transmission issues but after 4000 miles they have all slowly now gone, I think this realy is just how you drive, jumping out of a modern car into the landy does demand a very different (relaxed) approach to changing gear. At this point I dont appear to have any transmission issues except I do find HIGH/LOW likes the clutch to be released in the Neutral between HIGH and LOW to be sure of going in first time but Ive only used it about 10 times so this will probably improve with technique as well. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #130447 11th Mar 2012 7:21am
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Greetings Jay Very Happy

As said, 'shunt' could just be your driving style - these dont drive like cars do Cool

Security ... get a tracker on it, wont stop it going, but WILL greatly aid its return, and if you choose the right system it may even result in the scum being caught in it Twisted Evil

These are great ... http://skytag-gps.co.uk/ Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #130488 11th Mar 2012 1:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1