↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Reverse Camera Mounting Suggestions please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Reverse Camera Mounting Suggestions please
I know there are a few threads regarding reverse cameras, but this one is more about how/where to run the cables really.

I want to fit a reverse camera on the 110 to cover the blind spot (came close to running over my toolbox -duh!) and wifey is keen on the idea as not comfortable reversing the tow bar into things!

I'm thinking of mounting one either

1) in the cross member hole adjacent to tow bar bolts (seen that done by Dynamic sounds)
2) underneath the number plate light (there is a spare bit of plastic big enough for a small bracket camera)
3) possibly inside the rear window on the high level brake light casing (would this work?)

I don't really want to drill holes in the body so I'm thinking either location would either already have hole available (number plate light) or not need one (in bumper)

Question is where would be the best place to run the cables? and mount the camera?

If from the bumper cam then I'm thinking along chassis and through an existing hole in the engine bay or similar, - suggestions please as to how to best get cable into interior?

If from the numberplate cam then presumably under the carpet somewhere to front? or is there a better solution?

If from the high level brake light casing then I'm guessing along the door and up along the headlining if that's possible?

I don't really want to mount it above the door as that'll mean drilling bodywork (although its probably the best all-round location apart from the wheel blocking the lower view), so any suggestions as to how best to do this without drilling body or major dismantling would be welcome. I'll probably get an expert to fit it, but position would dictate choice of camera.

I plan to run it to a head unit screen so the cables need to get to the centre of the dash ideally.

Thanks

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #129141 6th Mar 2012 11:45am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
I have mine mounted (with double-sided tape) on the rear window washer jet. It has survived 2 years of Cape winters and summers, and many rough Namibian gravel roads Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #129145 6th Mar 2012 11:54am
Knot Yet

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Mounted in cross member hole, routed along chassis and into cab through handbrake gator (I think but can check)

No holes drilled and mastic used to mount to cross member - been on there in rain and snow, very protected and still holding firm Defender 110 Puma Utility XS
Post #129175 6th Mar 2012 3:23pm
d j hutton

Cheers for that guys, handbrake gaiter sounds like a good plan, I'm guessing there are a few 'holes' available but never thought of that one!

Rear cross member is looking favourite, I'm thinking either the 28mm one or the great big one on the right, any idea what that is actually there for? looks ideal as a sheltered spot for a teeny camera Thumbs Up

Mastic and double sided tape, all things Im good with, so should be able to manage that.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #129194 6th Mar 2012 5:59pm
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Someone may say otherwise but I assumed the hole in the rear cross member is for towing electrics.

With the reverse cams that people have mounted, can you still see the tow hitch for alignment with trailer?

I saw one on flEbay the other day that was part of a satnav bluetooth package. A wireless cam that was hard wired to the reverse light to power it up...... are they poor picture quality or what? was about £60-80 i think 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #129233 6th Mar 2012 8:04pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Re: Reverse Camera Mounting Suggestions please
d j hutton wrote:
I want to fit a reverse camera on the 110 to cover the blind spot (came close to running over my toolbox -duh!) and wifey is keen on the idea as not comfortable reversing the tow bar into things!

I've been pondering reversing camera positions too and have reached the conclusion that two cameras are needed to (literally) cover all of the angles. I reckon that a camera mounted at crossmember level would be great for lining up on trailers and the like, but won't show the rear corners of the vehicle relative to its' surroundings. Conversely, a camera mounted at or near roof level can be pointed down to give a general view of what's behind but won't cover the tow hitch because of the spare wheel.

I plan to use cameras like the one shown below with one mounted above the rear washer jet (I'm comfortable about drilling holes in the body) and one mounted using the two centre body to crossmember bolts, which will be directly above the tow hitch.

Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #129310 6th Mar 2012 10:16pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Gigglepin installed BigFogs for him. They could give you advice. It wasn't expensive and the picture is fine (installed above the roof gutter looks directly down and back Thumbs Up )
Post #129312 6th Mar 2012 10:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
VeeTee

Netherlands 
@ LandRoverAnorak,

I just bought the same camera from Ebay (actually a set of 2 camera's and 7" screen). I plan to mount one near the rear washer jet, the other one under the a-bar on the front bumper (for parking manouvres in tight spaces).
Question: where do you plan to mount the screen? Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #129316 6th Mar 2012 10:28pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
The screen I've bought is only 4.3" so I plan to mount it above the rear view mirror. I've got to fashion a cunning bracket to attach it to the mirror stem, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Click image to enlarge

All of the cables can then be hidden behind the headlining or in the inner roof gutter. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #129324 6th Mar 2012 10:51pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Ah. I don't know yet wether I will mount the screen at the back/in the sun visor, or a sort of flip out construction on the front of the cubby box. Questions.... Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #129326 6th Mar 2012 10:58pm
Harris110

United Kingdom 
Mounted mine above the gutter nice and high and central. Tiger seal has done the trick for 3years the just tuck the cable under the lining. Then run it along to the front and down windscreen pillar and straight behind dash. Strip of gaffa on top of spare wheel helps with hitching aswell. Its not how fast you go, it's how little you slow down!
Post #129334 6th Mar 2012 11:32pm
d j hutton

I've been looking at a multiview camera by kenwood, mounted just above the tow bar or in the cross member, you can by some electronic box jiggerypokery select a choice of views, so down, back , side only or a combination. Also offers superimposed lines to show how far away from things you are. Sounds pretty clever stuff . In essence it's a fish eye lens that allows the electronic box to select parts, or all of the available image.

Pricey at £180 ish but does seem to offer a bit more, and might save having to have more than one camera to do the job. Works with any head unit or screen apparently, which is good news. Might be the one to go for, although a standard type wide angle will probably show as much if angled correctly.

Thanks for the ideas.

Dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #129344 7th Mar 2012 12:05am
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
Dj, do you have a link to that camera please?

Im looking at fitting one that has an option of plugging a second camera into it. I want to fit one onto the rear of my caravan, trail the cable along the offside awning channel, and a connector somewhere near the caravan hitch. Then when hitching up the caravan i could connect it into the landies camera system?
Post #129398 7th Mar 2012 11:00am
d j hutton

Here's a link to the instructions, I'll look out the actual camera link in a mo.

Seems like you can link two together , say for example one at the front and one at the rear, so you'd probably be able to have two at the rear with a big long cable (pretty sure I have seen caravan trailer plugs on interweb)

[url]http://images.kenwood.eu/files/prod/2446/5/CMOS-210_310_(EN).pdf[/url] (not sure that link has worked, so might have to cut and paste it)

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-...-26205.htm camera link - think its renamed cmos-310 now but same thing.

There is a two camera kit available as well http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/kenwood-rev...34215.html

hope this helps

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Post #129405 7th Mar 2012 11:39am
d j hutton

whoops double posted again

dj 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Last edited by d j hutton on 7th Mar 2012 12:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #129407 7th Mar 2012 11:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>