Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
coldrunner

Scotland 
Advice please
Hi all

I've recently fitted a Land Rover expedition roof rack to my 110. I would appreciate advice on the following...
I have a highlift jack which I'd like to fit along the side of the rack. Any idea where I can purchase a mount/bracket that will fit the tubular design?

Also any top tips on what to use as 'flooring' on the rack & how to secure it. I'll mainly be carrying camping gear and a couple of mountain bikes.

Thanks folks
Bow down Bow down Bow down When the time comes for your life to flash before your eyes, make sure you have something to look at!
Post #128083 1st Mar 2012 9:49pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Hi,, welcome to the D2 forum Very Happy

I would have a rethink about putting the jack up top,, very easy to get too much weight in the wrong place Exclamation California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #128087 1st Mar 2012 9:52pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I agree with TJ101, entreq do a highlift jack mount for the rear x-member .. well made and great kit (if you've got the £'s)

entreq are a forum sponsor - have a look on the sponsor link above Thumbs Up
Post #128089 1st Mar 2012 9:55pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Also why do you want a hi lift jack mounted there anyway? Are you regularly going to places where you are likely to need one?
Post #128090 1st Mar 2012 9:57pm
coldrunner

Scotland 
Hi TJ101,

Yeah I hear what your saying I've been reading up on how to prep for trips & it does say not to carry too much up top....where do you recommend securing it ? When the time comes for your life to flash before your eyes, make sure you have something to look at!
Post #128094 1st Mar 2012 10:00pm
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
On the flip side my hi lift lives on my roof rack and makes no difference to handling!

Mine is held down with a couple of small ratchet straps, quick and easy.
Post #128095 1st Mar 2012 10:02pm
coldrunner

Scotland 
Hi Big Mike

I won't be carrying it all the time. But I was planning on taking it when I go on a couple of wee adventures... When the time comes for your life to flash before your eyes, make sure you have something to look at!
Post #128097 1st Mar 2012 10:03pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
coldrunner wrote:
Hi TJ101,

where do you recommend securing it ?

As BPman suggest,, on the rear x member,, ?

or as Mike says, do you need one , ? heavy hard work things,, wheel changing maybe,
I only carry one in the hybrid, and that only gets used for xtreme trips, and then only for changing a simex if and when needed California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #128098 1st Mar 2012 10:05pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
High Lift Jack?

In my opinion one of the most over rated and dangerous pieces of kits if used wrongly. Changing a wheel? Well unless you have suspension limitation straps/ratchet straps much better with a bottle jack plus folding axle stand and wheel chock.

Carrying high lift jack? Have seen them carried uncovered outside vehicle. What does that mean? Rain + mild steel = iron oxide. Carried outside uncovered means they can get covered in dirt. Let's face it dirt and rust is not conducive to good smooth safe operation of a jack!

When we carry one, it is carried in a padded bag inside vehicle attached securely to the cargo barrier and has been rarely used. Bottled jack used more often and is safer then a high lift for wheel changing.

Brendan
Post #128103 1st Mar 2012 10:23pm
coldrunner

Scotland 
Hi all

I think I'll take Jeremy's advice and secure it with ratchet straps...I won't have much weight on the roof, tent ,sleeping bags & a box for my cooking gear so I reckon the car can cope with that.
I was given the Hlift for nought so I thought I may as well bring it along. I have various sizes of weather proof bags so I'll stick it in one of those to protect it.

As for the flooring...any ideas? I'm only planning on covering the back half of the rack.

What do you guys recommend, a piece of board or wire mesh, thin bit of metal plate?
Neutral When the time comes for your life to flash before your eyes, make sure you have something to look at!
Post #128193 2nd Mar 2012 10:53am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
9mm Wisa board is ideal, I did my SD rack in it.
Post #128203 2nd Mar 2012 11:55am
JeremyJ

United Kingdom 
Whilst I normally agree completely with Leeds and really value his advise on here I disagree about hi lifts, mine is actually a Jackall (Canadian copy? Can't remember!), is at least 15 years old, has spent most of that outside with nothing more than occasional rub downs in diesel (right or wrong its always worked for me) and I love it.

It's not pretty but is one of my most used bits of kit. James has seen how quick I can change a wheel on the 110 with it, yes a bottle jack would be better suited but I'm quickest with this and prefer using it. Personal choice!
Post #128274 2nd Mar 2012 8:37pm
double cab happy

England 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
not sure what your driving coldrunner, but if you have a back seat, ie double cad or station wagon, you can easily make up some brackets to attach to the front of the back seat legs (just behind your back seat passanger anckles) with some studs of threaded rod and a couple of heavy washers and a couple of wing nuts, then its down low and inside as well as bolted to a solid structure, done right there is no drilling, get yourself a chain set and you also have a hand winch, also my boy always travels in the back and has size ten feet, its never got in his way,

but if you drive a 90 this is a waist of a reply Wink

Mark
Post #128358 3rd Mar 2012 11:15am

England 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
It fits perfectly under the backseat of my 110
Post #128364 3rd Mar 2012 11:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1