↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > later type clutch has failed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Daniel TD5

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 Other ST Nato Green
later type clutch has failed
this is now my third clutch two where the old type lasted about 4500k each the newer type lasted about 8000 mile then fell to bits Big Cry

so the new improved clutch will last double the miles of the old type

DAN
Post #9489 7th Apr 2009 8:53am
shorty

South Africa 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Chawton White
Hey Daniel

I beg to differ!! My second clutch which was the revised / modified clutch packed up after 1500 km. Its at the dealership having its third clutch installed. Then its going on the showroom floor. Yup Ive had enough and Ive bought myself a low millage TD5. Back were I left off!!! Land Rover's don't leak oil, they simply mark their territory!
Post #9490 7th Apr 2009 11:03am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
This is most worrying, if the new plays up like the first one did I will do the same and go back to an older model. That said maybe this one will be OK and trouble free.
Post #9500 7th Apr 2009 1:55pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Whats more worrying is mine has done 9k now and ive booked it in to have the upgrade clutch just in case and thats where it is now Mike
Post #9507 7th Apr 2009 4:57pm
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Just on my 2nd clutch, a new transfer box and a new gearbox (apparently). What on earth are LR playing at! Maybe I was a bit naive to think that "white van man" had done the development work for LR. It appears that's now down to new customers, although they may not be new customers in the future. Oh, I forgot about the new front prop as well, because there was a grease nipple missing. Apart from the heater and A/C, I sometimes regret ditching the TD5!
Bosun.
Post #9526 8th Apr 2009 7:33am
mrwoo

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I dont understand how any of this is being caused as I have one of the first Puma Defender's from May 2007, it has now done 33k without any clutch, transfer or gearbox issues. I change the all transmission lubricants when it's in for a service and I always drive it as smoothly as possible.
Post #9527 8th Apr 2009 8:08am
Daniel TD5

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 90 Other ST Nato Green
mr woo

its all down to what you do with it all my driving is blackwall tunnel crawl and a few motorways very high clutch use and the drive train is not up to it

dan
Post #9528 8th Apr 2009 8:45am
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
mse wrote:
Whats more worrying is mine has done 9k now and ive booked it in to have the upgrade clutch just in case and thats where it is now

How are you getting LR to do these jobs 'just in case'? There are a whole bunch of things I'd like to get done to mine before the warranty runs out but I don't know how to get them done without it having exhibited the symptoms first.

I've subscribed to the GTR so I've got ammunition but it would be worth knowing first hand how you approached them.

Thanks
A One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #9534 8th Apr 2009 10:42am
Bosun

2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
alantd,
I don't think it's a case of getting things done "just in case" (unless LR deem it necessary as a safety recall) LR don't work like that, it seems more of a problem to get LR to acknowledge the problems and then authorize the dealer carry out the repairs. My dealer agrees there are problems but can't get authorization from LR without a fight. If you have genuine problems, be persistant, don't make a nuisense of yourself, because after all, you want the dealer on your side. Most of all, don't be fobbed of by LR saying "it's characteristic of the mark SIR".
Bosun.
Post #9540 8th Apr 2009 11:11am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
All the known clutch failures on this forum are from people doing heavy towing and stuff like that or just normal driving?

It would be good to know how to blow up the original piece Whistle before being far away from the dealer (we just have one along the country).

I find this more seriuos than the brake vacuum pump issue. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #9545 8th Apr 2009 12:44pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
MK

In our case we dont doing heavy towing.

At the beginning started like a metal to metal sound when press the clutch and with problems to change the gear (stuck). From the failure start to the complete dead happens only 20 to 30 km.

At this moment we still have problems. The vibration and the noise in the clutch (comming under the pad) has been increased (audible now for all the passenger) and the vibrations are also worse.

Next week will be on the dealers to check it and other paint works together with the 50,000 km check. Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #9546 8th Apr 2009 1:28pm
mse

Bosun wrote:
alantd,
I don't think it's a case of getting things done "just in case" (unless LR deem it necessary as a safety recall) LR don't work like that, it seems more of a problem to get LR to acknowledge the problems and then authorize the dealer carry out the repairs. My dealer agrees there are problems but can't get authorization from LR without a fight. If you have genuine problems, be persistant, don't make a nuisense of yourself, because after all, you want the dealer on your side. Most of all, don't be fobbed of by LR saying "it's characteristic of the mark SIR".
Bosun.

Well it is sort of for me.

How i get it done - is the dealer know the family and know who certain members of the family are Wink doesnt always work, but can

plus i report symptoms when i have them

We will see though as i drove past the dealer and its sitting outside...it cant be finished as they havent asked me to bring the car back

LR Cust Service can be...are a pain at times and dont represent the hard workers at lr. Mike
Post #9548 8th Apr 2009 5:02pm
discocuzzy

England 

How i get it done - is the dealer know the family and know who certain members of the family are Wink doesnt always work, but can

We will see though as i drove past the dealer and its sitting outside...it cant be finished as they havent asked me to bring the car back

LR Cust Service can be...are a pain at times and dont represent the hard workers at lr.[/quote

You must be a member of the welsh mafia who trade in polish hookers or a Rozzer then!..latter im guessing Whistle You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #9562 8th Apr 2009 11:27pm
mse

discocuzzy wrote:

LR Cust Service can be...are a pain at times and dont represent the hard workers at lr.[/quote

You must be a member of the welsh mafia who trade in polish hookers or a Rozzer then!..latter im guessing Whistle

any of those would be good for me... Laughing Mike
Post #9572 9th Apr 2009 5:35pm
discocuzzy

England 
lol..just teasing Mike Thumbs Up You cannot teach stupid people to do clever things
Post #9611 10th Apr 2009 6:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>