↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Alarm has started going off - Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
mermoto

Alarm has started going off - Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh
Help anyone - my stupid alarm kept going off in the night for no obvious reason. When I got home today I was informed the alarm had gone of during the day to0 Evil or Very Mad I did a search and checked the bonnet closing switch seems to be working ok. So whats wrong? I haven't used it today but did wash it yesterday so could that have caused a problem somewhere?

When I lock the vehicle pressing the fob button the doors lock and the indicators flash as normal but I noticed the red led flashes at a high frequency for about 15 seconds then flashes slowly like normal. Never noticed the fast flashing before??

Mermoto
90XS 2008 Puma
Post #123919 14th Feb 2012 7:20pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Mine kept doing it when I first had it, worse after rain.
Spraying the internals of the door switches with WD40 stopped it.
That was four years ago. Hasn't happened since. (Except when the satnav falls off the windscreen Embarassed ) 
Post #123925 14th Feb 2012 7:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mermoto

Thanks Laurie,

I see that the bonnet switch has been known to cause problems so checked this and it works fine and is being pushed by the bonnet OK so I doubt it's this.

The alarm went off again last night so this is getting serious now as the neighbours are not happy. I have also noticed that when I press the fob today to unlock the vehicle the locks unlock then immediately lock again and I have to press the fob a second time to unlock it. Is this a clue to the problem??

Any further suggestions before I have to take it to a Dealer?

Mermoto
Post #124066 15th Feb 2012 10:42am
Lorryman100

The 10AS status is indicated by the Alarm LED.

Slow flash - Immobilised or Armed and Immobilised
Rapid Flash - Volumetric sensor system armed
Intermittent Rapid Flash - Doors, Boot and Bonnet armed
No flash for 10 seconds - Miss lock and if enabled in the settings menu, the horn will sound briefly.
Continuous - Drivers door open or ignition on and system immobilised

The only way to tell for sure what is causing the alarm, is to plug it into a diagnostic tool. Thumbs Up

Brian.
Post #124132 15th Feb 2012 3:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mermoto

Lorryman100 wrote:
The 10AS status is indicated by the Alarm LED.

Slow flash - Immobilised or Armed and Immobilised
Rapid Flash - Volumetric sensor system armed
Intermittent Rapid Flash - Doors, Boot and Bonnet armed
No flash for 10 seconds - Miss lock and if enabled in the settings menu, the horn will sound briefly.
Continuous - Drivers door open or ignition on and system immobilised

The only way to tell for sure what is causing the alarm, is to plug it into a diagnostic tool. Thumbs Up

Brian.

Thanks Brian,

Story continues. The alarm went off again last night Big Cry I went to move the truck this afternoon to further investigate what was causing it and the engine wouldn't start Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Right thats ittttttttt (jumps up and down in a rage).

Calmed down; decided to ring Land Rover Assitance and let them sort it out. Spoke to a very nice lady who arranged for their 'Man Who Can' to come out and look at it.

Anyway he came and checked it over and conclusion was that my battery is on its way out. The drop in voltage, he felt, was triggering the alarm. I had put the battery on charge for an hour and half prior to his arrival and the car started first go when he got here. So it would appear to be accepting a charge ok but must be loosing voltage over time. (The vehicle doesn't get used frequently) So maybe this is the answer and it's time to start researching which battery, I can feel an Odyssey moment coming on?

Does this all sound plausable as the cause, the battery is the original so is 3 1/2 years old now?

Mermoto
Post #124194 15th Feb 2012 8:34pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
certainly possible for a 3 1/2 year old battery to fail, it really depends on how flat it has gotten in the past.

going back to the alarm, I was going to suggest check for spiders over the internal alarm sensor.
Post #124197 15th Feb 2012 8:40pm
Lorryman100

I'm surprised he did not plug in his diagnostic and check the 10AS events history? This would have told him what tripped the alarm. As to the battery check that nothing is drawing power when the defender is locked up and alarm set. The only other option for a quiet night is just lock the defender with the key as this will lock the CDL and activate the perimetric alarm and the passive immobiliser but nothing else. Thumbs Up
Post #124209 15th Feb 2012 9:06pm
mermoto

Thanks for the above guys Thumbs Up

I asked him to plug in the diagnostics but he didn't think the alarm information was available on the Defender (he was driving a Discovery by the way). I even mentioned I had read about it on Defender2 (probably a bad move on my part) Is there an error code for the alarm system if it is caused by a failing battery on the Puma? I can see myself getting nearer to buying a diagnostic meter at this rate.

Anyway I have now put the battery on trickle charge this evening so lets see what happens tonight Embarassed If I need to get a proper battery, so be it, as long as this is the cause of the alarms. Couldn't see any spiders in the wagon, mind you they are probably hiding under the seat now. Would a spider set the alarm off then? Mr. Green

Mermoto
Post #124323 16th Feb 2012 12:44am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
A bluebottle set mine off once. Fortunately I'd only just locked it.
I've had 'overwintering' lacewings in previous non-alarmed Landies. 
Post #124334 16th Feb 2012 2:10am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I have had a problem when my alarm kept sounding, and locks would bounce back and unlock all doors, after locking, and it was replacing drivers door actuator that cured it.

But this is on a Td5, and did not cause any non starts.

Andy
Post #124372 16th Feb 2012 9:17am
mermoto

OK this really is not funny anymore. After getting Land Rover Assistance out yesterday evening I put my Optimate on the battery which confirmed it as fully charged and tested within an hour of connecting it up so I am not convinced the battery is at issue here.

At 02:00 in the night the alarm starts going off yet again which is not only extremely embarrasing for me, nearly gave me a heart attack becuase you don't know if someone is actually trying to steal it in the dead of night. Big Cry Evil or Very Mad Embarassed Big Cry Evil or Very Mad Embarassed Big Cry Embarassed Big Cry Evil or Very Mad Big Cry this is the third night running.

I'm really getting cross now. So got up at the crack of dawn and have taken it to my local Land Rover franchise at 08:30 this morning. They were unable to plug the diagnostics in at that time so have had to leave the truck with them for the day.

Expect this story to continue because there are not good vibes about this mornings visit.

Mermoto
Post #124391 16th Feb 2012 11:05am
mermoto

OK hopefully this is the Conclusion.

Left the truck with my local dealer who diagnosed a fault with the drivers door motor (presumably the central locking motor). It's been replaced today and have now got my baby home again Smile so hopefully this will be the end of the embarrasing alarms in the night Big Cry Seems funny when it happens to someone else but is so stressful when you live in a very quiet road Embarassed

I asked how the fault was diagnosed but the girl on the desk was unable to tell me if any fault codes were found for the alarm system so still none the wiser.

Mermoto

PS Why do I get that air of superiority when driving out of a franchise Land Rover dealer, in my Defender, when all the other cars are white 'Ewoks' parked up waiting for a customer to mug Whistle Rolling with laughter
Post #124721 17th Feb 2012 4:25pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
So it was the same as mine then. At least part is only £20

Andy
Post #124909 18th Feb 2012 9:43am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
mermoto wrote:
PS Why do I get that air of superiority when driving out of a franchise Land Rover dealer, in my Defender, when all the other cars are white 'Ewoks' parked up waiting for a customer to mug Whistle Rolling with laughter

because you are driving a real land rover not a tarts handbag Thumbs Up
Post #124913 18th Feb 2012 10:17am
Doradefender

United Kingdom 
Sorry for restarting this post, but I'm having the same trouble on my 05 defender 90. The alarm keeps going off randomly, usually after having been driven.

I replaced the drivers and passenger door switches and coated in grease yesterday but to no avail - the alarm went off a couple of hours later and also in the middle of the night.

Next I'm going to check the bonnet switch and the drivers door motor but does anyone have any ideas?

Also if I lock it with the key in the drivers door barrel, should that also lock the other doors? Or does it not work like that.

Thanks very much
Post #897158 10th Apr 2021 9:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>