↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Wiring up interior lights questions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Wiring up interior lights questions.
OK< apologies for the total noddy questions but its been years since I did any of this and I want to do it right rather than half arsed like I used to. Embarassed

Have ordered some MUD side panels for the rear and 2x LED lights that they sell to fit onto them (The small ones) . I also want to buy another standard interior light (Got the one in the front) to mount in the rear headlining area.

When it comes to wiring them up, should I be piggy-backing them off the front light or, taking a live feed piggyback from elsewhere and having a seperate switch?

Whats the best way to do this and how exactly is it best done? I used to use those nasty little blue clips that splice into a wire and take a feed off it (can't think of their proper name if they indeed have one)

I'm hoping it's not a complex job, but the simplest of jobs have a tendency to spiral into 5 jobs.

Ta Fellas. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #120902 3rd Feb 2012 4:47pm
jwhat

Ireland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I'd like to know this as well as I'm in the process of purchasing some rear panels for my hard top too. Tdci 110 DC
Post #120905 3rd Feb 2012 5:05pm
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Quote:
I used to use those nasty little blue clips that splice into a wire and take a feed off it

'Scotchlocs' - Don't use them they are the connectors of Satan, a proper bodge job. Use proper crimps with a proper ratchet crimp tool.

Pete
Post #120908 3rd Feb 2012 5:14pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
OK, making progress, what type of crimps and how? Shocked 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #120914 3rd Feb 2012 5:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
First off I'd suggest you use Vehicle Wiring Products for your supplies and also Thinwall cable. What are you intending to wire up? And how would you like these things to work?
Post #120940 3rd Feb 2012 6:24pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Crimps: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...sterms.php I'd suggest female and male fully insulated spade terminals (as your main connectors) you may also require some ring terminals too.
Crimping tool: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-...crimps.php
Post #120942 3rd Feb 2012 6:27pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
My preferance is to cut the cable, bare back and put heat shrink over the cable, then solder all three together.

If done corectly a far more secure joint than crimps or evil scotch blocks.
Looks very neat if you use heat shrink too, keeps it all together as well.
Post #121139 4th Feb 2012 9:10am
Zinke

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The wiring for the rear interior lights comes up the drivers side A-post. Once under the headlining there will be a connector that has the wiring for the front light and blanks in this plug for the rest of the wiring that isnt fitted on your truck. You can either wire into whats there or you can buy a new part of that harness with all the wires there ready to connect. Also the wire for the rear door switch is also in that connector and runs under the headlining and down the side of the door. The rear door switch is only a few £'s so worth fitting while your headlining is out. You can also fit the motion sensor for the alarm while you in there if you want but it needs turning on with a computer before it will work. I cant remember the wiring colours but think the rear door switch is a purple wire and you can work the others out with a meter.

Pete.
Post #121165 4th Feb 2012 11:10am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I take it then I can take the feed from the front light for my two rear LED's, and put a manual switch in between, so that I can prevent them coming on with the automatic front light.

I plan to put the switch in the MUD side panel to my right shoulder, so I can select if the rears come on with the front or independently. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #122305 8th Feb 2012 12:07pm
Zinke

Yeh no problems there, the feed for the rear light in the headlining (if it was fitted) would run off the same wires as the front as standard.

Pete
Post #122396 8th Feb 2012 7:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zinke

By the way each light has 3 wires to it, one earth, one permanent live no matter what and one that is powered when a door is opened or unlocked with a remote.
Post #122397 8th Feb 2012 7:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1