↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Recharging dual batteries?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
bolampau

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Recharging dual batteries?
I'm very 'no techno, no speak" when it comes to electrickery!

Just got the car today and it has two Odyssey batteries with Nat. Luna split charge thingy. I want to run a fridge/freezer and found a permanently live ARB lead already connected to one of the batts so all systems go.

Not having used a fridge before I assumed I'd have to regularly top up the batteries BUT all the other sockets look very similar to the old cigar lighter socket but they are only live when the ignition is on.

What is the best way for me to connect the Ctek charger to each individual battery? The manual said that I need to remove the batts which is a real PITA! Although I do have CTEK Standard Attachment Lead 56-260 that I reckon I could try whilst the batteries are in the car - could I then buy another lead for the second battery and charge one at a time?

Is there an easier way round this?

If there was a permanently live cigar socket then I'd connect to that using the CTEK 56-263 Cigarette Lighter Lead.

Thanks for your help,
Paul
Post #120527 2nd Feb 2012 12:48am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Is the split charge not all connected? if so why do you need to disconnect the batteries? Just drive it and they'll charge?
Post #120532 2nd Feb 2012 2:49am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Re: Recharging dual batteries?
bolampau wrote:
What is the best way for me to connect the Ctek charger to each individual battery? The manual said that I need to remove the batts which is a real PITA! Although I do have CTEK Standard Attachment Lead 56-260 that I reckon I could try whilst the batteries are in the car - could I then buy another lead for the second battery and charge one at a time?

Paul, I have a Ctek and I recharge both my batteries by plugging the charger into one of the hella plugs I have in the back of the landy. The only precaution is that when you do this, you must never switch on the ignition.

As for the main/cranking battery, I had the auto electrician put a 12V cigarette lighter under the passenger seat that plugs directly into the battery itself. To charge the battery, I just plug the Ctek in the plug, no need to remove seats, attach clips to batteries, etc.

When camping it makes is easy to just charge batteries: unroll power cord extension, plug Ctek in extension plug and rear/front battery. By the time I'm done, SWAMBO has very graciously opened an ice-cold beer for me Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #120537 2nd Feb 2012 7:58am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Paul,

just to be clear, do you have a 12v socket in the rear next to the speakers ? If not, you can remove the trim and you will find a purple and black wire, these are permanent 12v fused, install a 12v socket and you can charge from there.

i'm guessing you don't use the truck often ? that's why you need to trickle charge ? otherwise, like Mike says, the management system will look after the batteries. nice spec truck coming complete with all that gear Thumbs Up
Post #120538 2nd Feb 2012 8:40am
Naks

bpman wrote:
i'm guessing you don't use the truck often ? that's why you need to trickle charge ? otherwise, like Mike says, the management system will look after the batteries. nice spec truck coming complete with all that gear Thumbs Up

I disagree. IME, even if you drive the truck everyday, you will never recharge both batteries completely, especially during winter.

Every 2-3 months you should always plug your Ctek into the batteries to top them up. --

Post #120539 2nd Feb 2012 8:42am
bolampau

BigMike wrote:
Is the split charge not all connected? if so why do you need to disconnect the batteries? Just drive it and they'll charge?

Hi BigMike,
Yep, the split charge is working well. But with the cold weather I thought it'd be a good idea to recharge batteries occasionally.

Also, I'll leave the fridge/freezer on 24/7 when we're travelling so assumed the auxilliary battery would be depleted and benefit from a charge at end of journey.
Thanks,
Paul
Post #120602 2nd Feb 2012 2:16pm
bolampau

bpman wrote:
Paul,

just to be clear, do you have a 12v socket in the rear next to the speakers ? If not, you can remove the trim and you will find a purple and black wire, these are permanent 12v fused, install a 12v socket and you can charge from there.

Thanks for this, I'm gonna check to see if there's a socket this afternoon.
Cheers,
Paul
Post #120603 2nd Feb 2012 2:17pm
bolampau

Naks wrote:
bolampau wrote:

Paul, I have a Ctek and I recharge both my batteries by plugging the charger into one of the hella plugs I have in the back of the landy. The only precaution is that when you do this, you must never switch on the ignition.

As for the main/cranking battery, I had the auto electrician put a 12V cigarette lighter under the passenger seat that plugs directly into the battery itself. To charge the battery, I just plug the Ctek in the plug, no need to remove seats, attach clips to batteries, etc.

When camping it makes is easy to just charge batteries: unroll power cord extension, plug Ctek in extension plug and rear/front battery. By the time I'm done, SWAMBO has very graciously opened an ice-cold beer for me Thumbs Up

Thanks Naks,
so if I connect a Ctek standard attachment lead to each battery I can charge each one separately, without having to remove the seats? Just trail the two leads outside the passenger seat.

There was one lead that came with the charger so I'd only have to buy a second lead for the other battery - less than £10! Sounds like a good plan to me!

Cheers,
Paul
Post #120650 2nd Feb 2012 6:14pm
bpman

bolampau wrote:
so if I connect a Ctek standard attachment lead to each battery I can charge each one separately, without having to remove the seats? Just trail the two leads outside the passenger seat.

my ctek came with a 12v socket-plug, a battery and croc clips. I use the 12v plug.

if the ctek pushes more than 13.8v, then the battery management system should control the charging of both batteries - because the VSR will join them Thumbs Up
Post #120656 2nd Feb 2012 7:02pm
bolampau

bpman wrote:
bolampau wrote:

my ctek came with a 12v socket-plug, a battery and croc clips. I use the 12v plug.

if the ctek pushes more than 13.8v, then the battery management system should control the charging of both batteries - because the VSR will join them Thumbs Up

Thanks BPMan,
Just so I get my head round this, the 12v socket plug would only work if connected to a permanently live cigar socket?

Unfortunately, I only have the ARB fridge lead that is permanently live - the three cigar sockets are dead once the ignition is off. That's the reason why I want to connect a standard Ctek lead to each battery and trail them to the outside of the seat ....I can then plug the charger in one at a time. Is this reasonable, as removing the batteries is a PITA!

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers,
Paul
Post #120665 2nd Feb 2012 7:19pm
bpman

charging
hi Paul,

if you don't have a 12v socket in the rear next to the speaker, take the panel off (the right hand side looking from the back of the vehicle / offside). Behind the panel there was purple and black wires (2 off), these are permanent lives (ignition on/off/locked/unlocked) they are live.

pop a 12v socket on the panel and wire it up, then use the ctek charger in thru the back door.

the next bit is based on the assumption your split charge system has a voltage sensing switch (or voltage sensing relay vsr), if you plug your ctek into the "new" live socket, the battery management system will sense a voltage of 13.8v and it will automatically manage the charging of the twin odysseys as if it was running.

so you should not need to remove the batteries - thus saving the PITA Thumbs Up
Post #120668 2nd Feb 2012 7:30pm
bolampau

Re: charging
bpman wrote:
hi Paul,

if you don't have a 12v socket in the rear next to the speaker, take the panel off (the right hand side looking from the back of the vehicle / offside). Behind the panel there was purple and black wires (2 off), these are permanent lives (ignition on/off/locked/unlocked) they are live.

pop a 12v socket on the panel and wire it up, then use the ctek charger in thru the back door.

the next bit is based on the assumption your split charge system has a voltage sensing switch (or voltage sensing relay vsr), if you plug your ctek into the "new" live socket, the battery management system will sense a voltage of 13.8v and it will automatically manage the charging of the twin odysseys as if it was running.

so you should not need to remove the batteries - thus saving the PITA Thumbs Up

Fantastic! I've got the idea now!

I will try to fit a new 12v socket as you suggest. Won't do it tomorrow as it's curry night tonight and I'll sup a few pints of Abbot ale! Very Happy

Thanks for your help,
Paul
Post #120672 2nd Feb 2012 7:41pm
bpman

must be a land rover thing, I'm here with a glass of abbot ale Thumbs Up
Post #120682 2nd Feb 2012 8:05pm
Naks

Personally I do not want to be charging both batteries at the same time through my dual battery solenoid/VSR/etc.

I prefer to play it safe, so before we set off for a camping trip, I charge each battery for a full 12 hours, separately.

Once on the road, as soon as we get to camp, I plug the fridge and the deep-cycle battery into the campsite power (240V). This gives the deep-cycle battery a rest and charges it. The following day, with the fridge still running off 240V, I charge the main battery.

After 2 days at a campsite, both batteries are fully charged, and I also have one fully charged battery on any given day.

Obviously this won't work if your fridge does not do dual 12V/240V. In that case, just leave your fridge running off the deep-cycle while it charges, over 12hours it should be almost fully charged.

Mind you, our camping trips are anything between 1 -3 weeks Thumbs Up --

Post #120691 2nd Feb 2012 8:11pm
Naks

bpman wrote:
must be a land rover thing, I'm here with a glass of abbot ale Thumbs Up

Dunno hey, I'm sipping some Chivas Cool --