Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre types comparison
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Tyre types comparison
My 90 has some very aggressive tyres, namely 265/70/17 Cooper Discoverer STT's. They have mountains of tread depth. As seen here:

Click image to enlarge

They are billed by Cooper as being perfect for 20% on road and 80% offroad. Much as I love the look of them, I am thinking about swapping them for a less aggressive tyre package, and probably the Predator alloys too, as the 17" size is a bit limiting, even though I love the look of them too.

So, is the BFG MT KM2 pattern just as bad? The Cooper ST Maxx seems less aggressive too.

Basically, I would prefer a tyre that is good on the road and then capable for off road, but doesnt need to be a mud plugger. The 90 will be 70& on road. I don't like the look of most AT patterns, they don't suit the ruggedness of a Defender.

Also unsure about remoulds like Insa Turbo, as they do the old BFG Trac Edge pattern which might be a compromise, but not sure if I trust remoulds. Their Dakar pattern is the old BFG MT pattern but again, I'm not sure if it would be more of the same experience.

Who knows, maybe I'd do a swap with someone with something tasty? Whistle

If I was buying brand new and money was no option It would be black Zu alloys with something like the ST Maxx pattern.

Any advice or opinions? 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #119786 30th Jan 2012 3:27pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Re-moulds these days, and for long time before really, have to meet the same standards as new tyres so there shouldn't be any particular worries on that score. Where they tend to differ is longevity, so a BFG MT copy won't last anywhere near as long as the genuine article.

Everything is relative though: if the vehicle is a weekend toy, then tyres that will only see 25k instead of 50k may be perfectly adequate for four or five years use. If you're going to do lots of miles though, they're a false economy.

If it's something a bit more user friendly that you want, there still seem to be deals around for new take-off Wolf rims with MTR's on at reasonable prices. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #119795 30th Jan 2012 3:57pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I don't know squat about tyres but BigFog has Cooper ST Maxx on his, look better than Goodrich muds, were just fine on Salisbury Plain doing 10MPH and the M3 doing 90 MPH Wink Laughing

Says Cooper S/T Maxx is 50% road & 50% mud!

[/quote]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #119796 30th Jan 2012 3:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Yep - that's my next tyre change. I have STTs on at the moment and find them excellent but, for the same reason will put the 'new' ST Maxx on. Not decided on the wheels yet. Currently using the standard boosts with spacers (265 tyres) to get some lock back in the steering. I want to lose the spacers - too much dirt up the side of the car Big Cry Tony
Post #119808 30th Jan 2012 4:36pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
How do people find the standard BFG MT tread pattern on the road?

Has anyone tried the Insa Turbo Traction Trac? (The BFG trac edge pattern). 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #119821 30th Jan 2012 5:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I have BFG KM2's on mine perfect all round in my opinion Thumbs Up But if you mean the original BFG MT (Pre KM2) I'm not sure as I've never had them.
Post #119822 30th Jan 2012 5:23pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
kzycnn wrote:
Yep - that's my next tyre change. I have STTs on at the moment and find them excellent but, for the same reason will put the 'new' ST Maxx on. Not decided on the wheels yet. Currently using the standard boosts with spacers (265 tyres) to get some lock back in the steering. I want to lose the spacers - too much dirt up the side of the car Big Cry Tony

Thumbs Up They look more impressive in the flesh, I always like BGF muds but seeing them next to each the Coopers blow them away and the muds are really no good for extended road use. I would like some when the time comes. Think quite a few have them on here Wink
Post #119824 30th Jan 2012 5:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SteveT247

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
I had the old style BFG M/T on my last Defender and they were fine on the roads and the motorway and lasted well. Your current tyres don't look that much more aggressive than BFG MT in the photo to me (perhaps they are in the flesh), can I just ask what the problem is or why you want to change them? I'm not trying to be funny so please don't take this the wrong way but if it's noise etc, do you think the reason your unhappy with them is partly due to moving from a RR to a Defender? Just a thought.
Post #119830 30th Jan 2012 5:42pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I have the BFG M/T KM tires and have now done 30,000miles on them.

On road they are great, in the snow they are great, in the rain they are great and in the mud they are great......... Awesome tyres really.

Yes they do make a little road/ wind noise, but so does the roll cage, and the mirrors, and the vehicle in general .... As stated above, if that were a problem I would drive a gay super aerodynamic electric car so there was no noise

As for wear over the past 30K.... I can't see much if any difference

Click image to enlarge

The tire on the back is brand new never seen tarmac, the ones on it have done 30K miles.

Glyn Dog :sheep:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #119831 30th Jan 2012 5:52pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We use the old style BFG M/Ts 255/85/16 on both our 110's

Yes we do lots of tarmac miles on them as well as non sealed surface roads and they are a good all round tyres.

Road noise? Well you are driving a Defender!

With M/Ts of any make they will all have a greater stopping distance in the wet compared to an A/T.

Brendan
Post #119833 30th Jan 2012 5:54pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Those look good Glyn, are they 265?
Post #119835 30th Jan 2012 5:55pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Zagato wrote:
Those look good Glyn, are they 265?

Zag, they are 285s and fit a treat on standard suspension.

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #119837 30th Jan 2012 6:01pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
RRUK wrote:
How do people find the standard BFG MT tread pattern on the road?

I have BFG MTs on my 90, they are fine on road, better off road Thumbs Up
Post #119838 30th Jan 2012 6:02pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Airlocker wrote:
I had the old style BFG M/T on my last Defender and they were fine on the roads and the motorway and lasted well. Your current tyres don't look that much more aggressive than BFG MT in the photo to me (perhaps they are in the flesh), can I just ask what the problem is or why you want to change them? I'm not trying to be funny so please don't take this the wrong way but if it's noise etc, do you think the reason your unhappy with them is partly due to moving from a RR to a Defender? Just a thought.

Its not the noise so much as the curious way they handle. very little rubber in contact with the road means they feel a bit skittish and don't inspire confidence really.

I used to have a Series 3 so I know that NVH is a by product of having one of these, its just the way of things. Cool 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #119844 30th Jan 2012 6:20pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I find the KM2's better on road than the Grabbers myself but then I do prefer them full stop maybe it's just me Cool I think that if your worried about stopping on MT tyre's then maybe you are driving a bit to fast for the conditions in the first place Confused After all you can't stop a 2000KG upward Defender like a 1000 - 1500KG car. Thumbs Up
Post #119848 30th Jan 2012 6:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>