↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Problems with xenon spotlights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
FG

Sweden 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Problems with xenon spotlights
I've got two 170mm 70W lightforce xenons installed on my A-bar.

I've been having intermittent problems with them as they sometimes, especially if the engine just been started, seem to overwhelm the cars electrical systems and make it turn on the hazard lights and unlock the central locking. This being "accident-mode" i suppose? (The lights still turn on and work ok though.)

Previously this happened only if the engine just had been turned over, but a couple of weeks back it happened during an overtake and you can imagine being a bit awkward driving with the hazards on. Only way to turn them off is to restart the engine.
The LF:s are wired to start with the high beams with an original LR switch on the dash. The assembly, igniters and bulbs are all original LF. The installation was made by a LR dealer.

Anyone got any leads as to what causes this, and what can be made to remedy the situation?

/FG
Post #118059 24th Jan 2012 11:37am
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I would guess that the igniters have been mounted close to some existing cabling which goes to something which is sensitive to EMC. When these igniters strike they can create a large amount of electical interference which can radiate out into their immediate surroundings. If there is something sensitive close by it could be affected.

Pete
Post #118271 24th Jan 2012 11:53pm
ken

United Kingdom 
One of the reasons I changed to LEDs not quite the same mine knocked out my iPod and resetting on the move was fun
Post #118286 25th Jan 2012 6:27am
FG

@XS Pete
I had the igniters relocated as far from anything essential I could find, they're in front. right beside the radiator now, but still seem to interfere with something. Strange though how the problem occurs when the engine just been started and normally not when driving.

@ken
Truth be told, since i got the 40" ledbar on the roof the xenon spots has hardly been used, the leds output just make everything else pale in comparison. Still irritating to have something on the car that doesn't work 100%

/FG
Post #118306 25th Jan 2012 10:21am
XS Pete

Quote:
Strange though how the problem occurs when the engine just been started and normally not when driving.

Immediately after starting, the alternator is usually working very hard to replace the battery energy just consumed in starting the engine. Part of this process is the regulation/rectification done by the pack on the back of the alternator, which is also an electrically noisy process. So, maybe your igniters are simply increasing the background noise threshold to the point where something can't cope. My guess would be that these spikes are finding their way back to the ECU.

The main thing to check would be that the igniter ground is properly connected to the vehicle earth, and that is properly connected back to the battery neg. You could then try putting smoothing capacitors across the supplies to the ignitors to minimise spikes on the supply, and ferrite rings around the cables to provide some supression.

A useful test if you've got the factory radio would be to tune it to somewhere in the middle of the MW or LW band (you might have to experiment a bit), and listen while turning these lights on. If you hear a massive pop or a succession of switching noise, then that's almost certainly what it is.

Pete[/quote]
Post #118359 25th Jan 2012 1:55pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
ken wrote:
One of the reasons I changed to LEDs not quite the same mine knocked out my iPod and resetting on the move was fun

Ken - so you are saying there is no Electrical inteference with LED lights ?

good to know Thumbs Up
Post #118455 25th Jan 2012 8:16pm
Paul_1978

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Zermatt Silver
bpman wrote:
ken wrote:

Ken - so you are saying there is no Electrical inteference with LED lights ?

good to know Thumbs Up

None that i can think of, there solid state.

HID's have a ballast, notorious for emc issues.
Post #118473 25th Jan 2012 8:35pm
SteveS

England 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Re LED noisy or not......my experience is that they draw far less current and don't have the starting current problem with other systems. I have a 40" light bar.

They are NOT completely niose free however as when mine are running I have to move the squelch on my CB up a little - no real effect as it is not significant. Not sure if this is a single channel or across the band (I'll try to do some tests when I get time). In my case the power cable and the CB antenna cable take the same route up the snorkel - this may be exacerbating the effect - but in any case the increase in squelch is very small and doesn't cause a problem in normal conversation. I may also play with rack earthing at some point

There has been no impact to any other vehicle electrical systems

EDIT - yes LEDS are solid state (a mechnical description) but they may be very fast switching (faster than your eye persistence) - I was told in the case of my system they were continuously on - but there may be other control electronics causing the RF noise affecting my CB - either way its minor
Post #118481 25th Jan 2012 8:45pm
XS Pete

Quote:
yes LEDS are solid state (a mechnical description) but they may be very fast switching

You're right there Steve, these high powered LED arrays are usually pulsed very fast. In some cases using peak currents way above the maximum reccommended by the LED manufacturers, as it's an easy way to get massive light out of them without causing short term damage as the duty cycle is vey short.

Pete
Post #118562 25th Jan 2012 11:36pm
FG

XS Pete wrote:
Quote:
Strange though how the problem occurs when the engine just been started and normally not when driving.

Immediately after starting, the alternator is usually working very hard to replace the battery energy just consumed in starting the engine. Part of this process is the regulation/rectification done by the pack on the back of the alternator, which is also an electrically noisy process. So, maybe your igniters are simply increasing the background noise threshold to the point where something can't cope. My guess would be that these spikes are finding their way back to the ECU.

The main thing to check would be that the igniter ground is properly connected to the vehicle earth, and that is properly connected back to the battery neg. You could then try putting smoothing capacitors across the supplies to the ignitors to minimise spikes on the supply, and ferrite rings around the cables to provide some supression.

A useful test if you've got the factory radio would be to tune it to somewhere in the middle of the MW or LW band (you might have to experiment a bit), and listen while turning these lights on. If you hear a massive pop or a succession of switching noise, then that's almost certainly what it is.

Pete
[/quote]

I think you are right on the money here! I have had problems with pops in the radio reception, although on the FM band, that wasn't there before the installation. This is when the lights are switched off however; there is no reception at all when the xenons are on.

Many thanks Pete, you've given me an angle to investigate!

/FG
Post #118593 26th Jan 2012 8:20am
XS Pete

No problem and good luck. This sort of issue can be a real nightmare to track down. Hopefully it's an obvious poor earth or similar.

Pete
Post #118646 26th Jan 2012 1:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1